Santorini DIY

Two from Virginia

Hi

We will be visiting Santorini twice during our Mediterranean cruise. We have a tour booked for the first visit but was wondering what you suggest on the second day in port in mid-August? Thanks.

I really enjoyed the trip out to the volcano and the swim in the hot (warm) springs. It was around €20 pp. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]dUwKItPJo-E[/YOUTUBE]

Did you do this with a tour or by yourself? If with a tour guide, what was the name of the company?

By myself. As you leave the tender you will see a booth selling the trip (called Volcano and Hot Spring, or similar) It takes exactly 3 hours and I was on the morning (10 am) one (there is also an afternoon one from 2-5).

Back then (2012) I think it was €15, with the option of paying another €2 to walk the volcano, which most do, although you can stay on the ship and relax if you want. It's not the sort of thing a guide add anything to as it's just a small volcanic island, and you get a leaflet highlighting where you walk anyway.

You get about an hour on the island, and around 40 minutes for swimming. If you do the swim, which is fun, and welcome if it's a sweltering day, maybe leave your Sunday best costume behind as the sulphurous mud at the hot springs could stain a natural fabric.

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

By myself. As you leave the tender you will see a booth selling the trip (called Volcano and Hot Spring, or similar) It takes exactly 3 hours and I was on the morning (10 am) one (there is also an afternoon one from 2-5).

Back then (2012) I think it was €15, with the option of paying another €2 to walk the volcano, which most do, although you can stay on the ship and relax if you want. It's not the sort of thing a guide add anything to as it's just a small volcanic island, and you get a leaflet highlighting where you walk anyway.

You get about an hour on the island, and around 40 minutes for swimming. If you do the swim, which is fun, and welcome if it's a sweltering day, maybe leave your Sunday best costume behind as the sulphurous mud at the hot springs could stain a natural fabric.

Decided to take your advice and booked this. It is now 20E