RCL Vroom internet on Celebrity?

blizzardboy

RCL just announced Vroom, high-speed, streaming-capable internet, on all their ships. We won't make our inaugural Celebrity cruise until Jan, 2018 aboard the Connie, but I wondered what to expect from X fleet technology. I just started paying attention to the Celebrity board.

Its called Xcellerate and its on ships now

That's true - but I highly doubt Xcellerate is anywhere near as outstanding as Voom. I've tried both. No doubt, Xcellerate is a huge improvement over Celebrity's last version of Internet, but it's not nearly as speedy as what we experienced on Oasis of the Seas, versus what we experienced on Eclipse last month.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased with the Celebrity upgrade, it's just that Voom is far superior. Voom is almost as fast and reliable as what I experience at home.... and that's saying a lot !

Also, RCCL's pricing for Voom is much cheaper than Celebrity's rates for Xcellerate. Hope this helps !

How is the speed/bandwidth? I'm not interested in much more than email and a quick browse through the hometown paper, but my bride has visions of Skype with the kids and grandkids.

Hi Blizzardboy,

I cant speak for exact specfications, but for items such as email and browsing - Xcellerate is very good to excellent. As for Skype ? I have not tried it, but I believe that others have said it's possible. Hopefully, other members will chime in on any Skype experiences.

Hope this helps !

When we were on Reflection, the Internet speed was related to the sites you were trying to visit. Google accounts worked significantly faster than AOL or Facebook. AOL mail retrieval was painfully slow. Also, on the sea days, the speed was slow which may be related to the number of cruisers online. It was much faster when in port.

Hi Blizzardboy,

I cant speak for exact specfications, but for items such as email and browsing - Xcellerate is very good to excellent. As for Skype ? I have not tried it, but I believe that others have said it's possible. Hopefully, other members will chime in on any Skype experiences.

Hope this helps !

I did FaceTime from out in the middle of the Atlantic with the new internet system, and it worked very well.