Stupid Drink Package Question #3838888 from confused newbie

So yesterday there were multiple options for drink packages (ultimate, premium and the beer and wine one). Costs were $59, 49 and 39 (I think). Today, I sign in and the ultimate and beer/wine are not listed. And the Premium is listed at $47 with a 20% Off Banner. Uh 20 percent off 49 is not 47. What gives? Why did some packages disappear and the bizarre "discount" on the premium. Buying the premium at a 20 percent discount is a no brainer from my perspective and for my needs. But at $2 off, not so much. Is this just something that Royal always does and you are all used to it and as a Royal virgin I'm just learning about?

So yesterday there were multiple options for drink packages (ultimate, premium and the beer and wine one). Costs were $59, 49 and 39 (I think). Today, I sign in and the ultimate and beer/wine are not listed. And the Premium is listed at $47 with a 20% Off Banner. Uh 20 percent off 49 is not 47. What gives? Why did some packages disappear and the bizarre "discount" on the premium. Buying the premium at a 20 percent discount is a no brainer from my perspective and for my needs. But at $2 off, not so much. Is this just something that Royal always does and you are all used to it and as a Royal virgin I'm just learning about?

Ongoing thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352043

Yes. They increased their prices to offer a FAKE SALE! I noticed that too and posted another thread. Basically their sale is $2/day for a Grand Total of $14. Equivalent to basically one or two drinks.

Welcome to Royal Caribbean. Unfortunately, this is their business tactics. I'm glad people are aware and watching prices to know that this really isn't a true 20%. I do feel bad for the people who purchased thinking that they really did save.

Let me try to do the math on this one :)

My current cruise planner doesn't have the 20% deal but is showing prices that INCLUDE the gratuity. In the past it has shown prices that EXCLUDE the gratuity. When they include the gratuities they also tend to round the the nearest dollar. So to that math:

Without 20% off:

Regular Price: $49 per day

Gratuity: 18%

Regular Price with Gratuity: $57.82 per day (or $404.74 per week/7 days)

They around rounding this to $57 on cruise planner so it is $399 for 7 Days

20% off:

Regular Price: $49 per day

Discount Price: $39.20 per day (discount is taken off BEFORE adding gratuities)

Gratuity: 18%

Discount Price with Gratuity: $46.27 per day (323.89 per week)

I am guessing they are rounding this one up to $47 (or $329 per week)

So $47 a day WITH gratuities *IS* actually 20% off of $49 a day WITHOUT gratuities. Remember that the 18% gratuity is damn near 20%. :)

That is my guess.

Edited by NightOne

Unfortunately the $47 DOESN'T include the gratuities. After you add it your cart you see an additional 18% added to price.

The only way the math works out to $47 BEFORE gratuities is if the package is price $59 a day. (Ultimate beverage package price)

So either you are getting the Ultimate package OR they raised the price of the Premium package by $10.

Looking at my own cruise planner, I do not see an increase.

My cruise planner prices currently show as $42/$57/$67 per day for Select/Premium/Ultimate. (No Sale for Me)

If I add them to the cart it has a line item that reads:

*Service Charge $0.00 USD

If I proceed to pay, no additional amount is added so that means gratuities are included.

The previous prices without gratuity were $35/$49/$59

Edited by NightOne

The only way the math works out to $47 BEFORE gratuities is if the package is price $59 a day. (Ultimate beverage package price)

So either you are getting the Ultimate package OR they raised the price of the Premium package by $10.

Looking at my own cruise planner, I do not see an increase.

It is without gratuities unfortunately for the 20%. When you add it to your cart they add your gratuities on top. I called RC and they stated that they increased the price from $49 to $59. It is no mistake. Just another example of Royals fine gimmick sales.

Thanks all for the input. This is so confusing. Truly. I put it in my cart a few days ago when it was 49 and after gratuity came to something like $402. I put it in my cart today when it was 47 and after adding gratuity it came to $388. So ya, the non-sale sale. Or they could just say "$2 off" and be honest. Haha.

It is without gratuities unfortunately for the 20%. When you add it to your cart they add your gratuities on top. I called RC and they stated that they increased the price from $49 to $59. It is no mistake. Just another example of Royals fine gimmick sales.

They didn't increase it on my cruise.

Until I see otherwise I am not chalking this one up to another gimmick sale. Although there are a LOT of those. :)

Thanks all for the input. This is so confusing. Truly. I put it in my cart a few days ago when it was 49 and after gratuity came to something like $402. I put it in my cart today when it was 47 and after adding gratuity it came to $388. So ya, the non-sale sale. Or they could just say "$2 off" and be honest. Haha.

It would not surprise me in the least that the Royal web site is screwing it up but it should be around $329 if it is indeed 20% off of $49. It sounds a lot like they have loaded the "gratuity already added" price to the cart and then adding gratuities to that. (and thus double charging the gratuities) That is the only way *I* come up with $388 in the math. :)

They increased their prices to offer a FAKE SALE!

Welcome to Royal Caribbean. Unfortunately, this is their business tactics. I'm glad people are aware and watching prices to know that this really isn't a true 20%. I do feel bad for the people who purchased thinking that they really did save.

Their marketing tactics have become very misleading for the novice shopper. Raising prices to offer a fake sale is questionable and I wish some consumer protection agency would call them on it. Best advice...ignore Royal Caribbean marketing and be an informed shopper!