Tahiti, etc... HAL vs Paul Gauguin

57redbird

Hi all -- we've only sailed on HAL but we're looking into doing a Tahiti, etc. voyage....can't decide between the 2 lines -- the things that are of concern: the length of the HAL cruise (48-52 days) & the cost of the PG cruise (which is considerably shorter since you fly out of LAX & skip all the sea days).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, TIA.

While we enjoy HAL very much (170+ days sailing with them), for French Polynesia we chose the PG. If what you want is to sail the French Polynesian islands than you are not really comparing apples to apples if the HAL sailing is 40+ days that is doing more of a transpacific sailing...not just the FP islands.

The PG is a smaller luxury ship that was built specifically for sailing the waters of French Polynesia. The PG even has its own onboard watersports marina for kayaking (gratis). Plus the first day...you can go down and be fitted with snorkeling masks and fins that are yours to use for the duration of the sailing. And then there are the Les Gauguines, local Tahitians who serve as cruise staff, entertainers and storytellers. They are just fabulous and personify the Polynesian spirit. They taught us about their history, culture and also some of their crafts. I don't think there is anything similar to them on any other line. The PG experience really focuses on the region so that one gets an amazing sailing that just immerses you in the culture there. The price you pay for sailing on the PG include the gratuities and complimentary beverages. Plus there was a fabulous day at their private motu which included watersports and a great feast with bar service.

IMHO if you want to sail the French Polynesian islands...you can't go wrong with choosing the PG.

Thanks for the reply - that's why I'm leaning toward PG - hubby likes sea days, me - not so much + we've been to 3 of the Hawaiian islands already...think I'd just like to get to FP.

I would second that, go for the PG. The ship itself as far as decor is showing its age, a bit drab, but the experience they offer is wonderful. The day at the private motu is fantastic, and they also have access to a private beach in Bora Bora, which is worth going to have you have experienced the lagoon on an excursion.

Hi all -- we've only sailed on HAL but we're looking into doing a Tahiti, etc. voyage....can't decide between the 2 lines -- the things that are of concern: the length of the HAL cruise (48-52 days) & the cost of the PG cruise (which is considerably shorter since you fly out of LAX & skip all the sea days).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, TIA.

I loved my 5 PG cruises and I have no doubt HAL is great too. HAL also has a 33 day out of San Diego next March where you get a full week in French Polynesia, a few Hawaiian ports and Rarotonga. Not flying to Tahiti is nice. Keep in mind though that the PG includes ALL drinks, gratuities and airfare. The much smaller ship is great too. I once did a RCCL transpacific that stopped in FP and the experience on the big ship just wasn't the same. The HAL ship next March is 1250 people - not too bad.

Have not done PG, but....

We did 2 cruises on Ocean Princes back to back, one around the Society Islands 10 or 11 days, and one from Tahiti to Hawaii, 10 or 11 days, we did these both out of Papeete. It was a small ship which Princess has since sold but I believe they are still using Pacific Princess, also a 700 pax ship. WE loved the South Pacific. Prices were reasonable but it's still not the PG experience. I would really like the kayaks being available!

We are now booked on the HAL Amsterdam 48 nights Tales of the South Pacific this September, r/t San Diego. We do not like flying more than 5 hours (I should note that we flew 5 hrs to Papeete from New Zealand for Ocean Princess cruise, then flew to LAX from Honolulu, 5 hrs - we cruised to Sydney and to NZ to avoid long flights.) and we expect to enjoy the many sea days, so this is perfect for us with 23 different ports, three overnights and many different island nations. And again, it's not the PG experience, nor the PG price. Amsterdam is little larger than Ocean Princess but it works for us.

Hope you find what suits you. m--

Just a suggestion. You might want to also consider the Wind Spirit. You can look at the Windstar forum for some additional information on them. I enjoyed my time on the sister Wind Star.

Roy

We did the Westy's 30 day fall '12 Hawaii & South Pacific.

It was a FABULOUS time and we'd repeat it again in a heartbeat (if someone other than myself had the available PTO time at her new job).

I am a huge fan of sea days, so the time to HI, then the time from HI to Fanning Island (we missed Rarotonga due to apparently the last human on the planet having a medical emergency that needed to be flown from Xmas Island) and then time from Nuka Hiva to San D was well spent just relaxing.

I know that PG is a fine line, but the idea of flying from the East Coast to the West Coast and then from the West Coat to Tahiti isn't something I relish. Even if we were native to the West Coast, that flight is daunting IMO.

When it comes down to it, no matter which line you pick you'll be on a cruise in the SP... how awesome is that?!?!

Edited by Viesczy

Besides the 5 PG cruises and the RCCL I also was on the Tahitian Princess twice and Princess also does a good job. Windstar does not offer free air, liquor or gratuities so make sure you look closely at pricing. Also do at least a 10 day if you do a cruise within French Polynesia. 7 days cruises are too short!

Edited by twin123185

We considered PG but the 7 day cruise is far too short to justify the plane ride. We considered back the to back on PG but some ports repeat.

Winstar is a good suggestion, we saw it around the various islands.

We chose Oceania on Marina and loved it. Next winter Sirena will do several FP cruises.

We also flew in four days early and stayed at a resort on Moorea prior the the cruise.