Scenic Gems of the Seine

Live4cruises

Ahhhhh. This was our second Scenic journey; the first one was I think the first sailing after the Danube became navigable after the floods of 2013. For us at least, they handled that situation very well, so we were not at all hesitant about sailing with them again.

This was the first sailing of the season. The ship was in beautiful condition, the crew outstanding, and the CD, Benjamin, was truly the best we have ever encountered. I have to believe that the smiles must sometimes be a facade, but this was the kindest and apparently the most genuine group I've known. For heaven sake, our cabin attendant was sobbing as we all left the ship on Friday morning! The captain was visible, engaging, fun to talk to - another first.

Many of the Seine trips are 7 nights, but Scenic does 10, so the pace is relaxed. The food was good, occasionally really good, and a variety to suit us, and the "always available" dishes were more nicely prepared than those I've encountered elsewhere. Some people are very interested in the number of buffets. Breakfast and lunch were always buffet; other than the first night, dinner was always table service. We dined once at L'Amour and once at Table La Rive. There was lobster the last night, which was nicely done. I'm a big fan of soup, and their's were good, and a good variety. I thought the tomato was exceptional, truly.

We enjoyed the excursions that we took, and appreciate that they offer more than a walk around town from which to choose. We particularly enjoyed the two days we spent in Rouen. The first day, a small group of us went to a pastry kitchen. With the friendly and expert chef's guidance, and two fun translators, we spent 3 engaging hours making macaroons. Great fun! On the second day, we went to the Museum of Fine Arts. The guide was knowledgeable, the collection was good. The highlight though (not Scenic's doing), and a huge highlight of the trip, was when we broke from the group at the end of the tour. We paid a nominal additional amount (11 euro) and went to a special Impressionist exhibit that the museum has this summer. It was breathtaking. Monets, Manets, Pissaros, Cassats, Renoirs (and others). The exhibit was perhaps 10 rooms, there were a handful of other viewers, and one well-behaved school group. Essentially we enjoyed some of the greatest Impressionist art in the world in a private showing.

Scenic prides itself on its extras, on this trip, a Sundowner and a special off-boat dinner. The Sundowner was cocktails and canapés at an estate near Honfleur overlooking the English Channel. The weather was nice, and we were able to be outside to talk with our new friends and enjoy the magician that Scenic provided. He was pretty darned good! The special dinner was at an opulent (my description) palace built by the man who began bottling Benedictine. Good food in a beautiful setting, with a trio providing music. It was a fun evening.

Another highlight, as expected, was Giverny. Scenic seems to work hard to get its groups to venues at less crowded times. We were very early to the Normandy museum, escaping the crowds that had gathered as we left. We went to Giverny later in the day. The gardens were crowded at first, but by the time we were at the end of the tour of the water garden and given free time, the crowds were significantly less. We had the better part of an hour to enjoy at leisure in the gardens or the water garden, with very few people around.

We are very comfortable being on our own in Paris, so didn't participate in the Paris excursions, so can't comment on those.

On our sailing, there were 10 Americans, 3 Brits, 3 Canadians and 95 Aussies. It was a very congenial group, with virtually no one that we tried to avoid. We were in a somewhat higher grade cabin (PD, I think), but not one of the Royal suites. Regardless, we (and everyone) were made to feel like the most important people on board. The staff made the experience truly exceptional.

I rambled a bit, but there are my thoughts! Again - I am more than happy to answer specific questions about food, excursions or ambience.