Inclimate weather on a cruise??

We have experienced both, stopping at a port in the middle or beginning of a rain storm, they usually don't last long, sometimes we get off , sometimes we turn back around. Once, coming from a nice day at the beach in Cozumel, we got back to the port right as it is pouring heavy sheets of rain. People were running and crowding into the stores trying to take cover. I pulled out my umbrella and giant Ziploc bags, put my electronics inside and by the time we got back to the ship the rain was over.

I have never had an excursion cancelled because we usually just book when we get there or do our own beach day or excursion. I have also been on the ship when it rained, we will find something else to do inside and it will pass.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen on a cruise were people running for cover, from the pool on the ship. It was a very short sprinkle. Hilarious!

It did free up, what many consider, some prime seats.

We did this....totally jumped up out of the hot tub (where it was nice and warm!) to try dry off and stand under an overhang to get out of the rain....really dumb move. We were all laughing after about what a stupid move it was.

I had a cruise booked out of San Diego that was supposed to spend 2 days in Cabo (one of my favorite ports). Due to a hurricane, missed Cabo entirely and only made it to Ensenada as required and then Catalina Island. I was extremely disappointed about the itinerary change, but it was still an awesome cruise with family.

we did this....totally jumped up out of the hot tub (where it was nice and warm!) to try dry off and stand under an overhang to get out of the rain....really dumb move. We were all laughing after about what a stupid move it was.

Lol!

Edited by WetToes

We are scheduled to leave on Sunday out of NOLA on the Dream. Looking at weather forecasts for the ports we will stop has a cloudy day in Cozumel and the others not yet available.

Two things I know about the weather:

1.) You can't control it

2.) You can't depend on forecasts this far out.

But I began to wonder---have you ever been at sea days or in ports when it was less than what you had hoped for? Are excursions cancelled in cases like these? We've been on 8 trips, and with the exception of our first trip to Freeport where it was cloudy and sprinkled, I don't recall another cloudy overcast day.

We had a long string of good luck till out last 2 cruises; rained in each port. But steered around the storms while at sea.

2 out of the 4 stops we just stayed on board.

In Roatan an excursion was cancelled due to flooding. It would have been nice if they announced that. I went ashore in my parka due to sprinklers and searched for the guide. I was told she left already! Went back to ship, talked to excursion staff--"No, that was cancelled."

The poncho was the best deal on Carnival--$1!

Edited by crusinpsychRN

The poncho was the best deal on Carnival--$1!

I got mine from the Dollar Tree. We've only used them once, but so glad we had them.

They take up no room, so I always keep a couple of those in my suitcase.

We have the same excursion booked for next week so I hope we are able to go through with it, even if it rains.

We've got some ponchos with a certain Mouse on it (see my screen name) but we might need something a little more substantial.

Just in case You!

I hope you get to take excursion too, it was a really good time. They altered one small section of the race due to the weather, but I don't think we would have noticed if they hadn't told us.

We did this....totally jumped up out of the hot tub (where it was nice and warm!) to try dry off and stand under an overhang to get out of the rain....really dumb move. We were all laughing after about what a stupid move it was.

Don't you know you shouldn't swim in the rain.....

You might get wet.

Our first cruise was during Hurricane Isaac. They closed the outer decks for part of the trip, and we had some impressive seas the first day. Many of the crew said it was the worst weather they had seen, and we were skirting around it.

None of the excursions got cancelled and we made all our ports, but they cancelled the shows on the ship the first formal night and we ate in a mostly empty dining room that night.

We had fun, we went down to deck 1 and ran from the front of the ship to the back down the hallway. Alternating between positive and negative G's while going down the hall was fun!

I remember we had just arrived in St. Martin and docked. We were told we were not allowed to disembark and that we would be leaving shortly. They were wanting to get out of the path and ahead of a hurricane. Next thing I knew, we were backing up and leaving.

I think overall we have been very fortunate- especially since half of our cruises have been during hurricane season. We missed Costa Maya once because a hurricane had taken out the port area- but we stopped in Roatan instead and loved it. During Sandy we missed Half Moon Cay and got pelted by big rocks trying to swim at Grand Turk. In January we had cool overcast weather in Freeport and Nassau and all of the sea days were too windy and chilly to spend on the outside decks.