Checking water rather than carrying it on.

lissa2

I'll be taking the Getaway in a week and I'm wanting to take a few cases of water. Does anyone have any experience with checking the water with their bags? I know you can carry it on, but I've also read people have been able to check it curb side at the port. I'm just wanting to know the success rate of this!

I'll be docking out of the port in Miami!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by lissa2

We did it last June on the Getaway. We taped a luggage tag onto it using clear duct tape. We also plan to do it again this June. Far easier than carrying in.

Hth

Did you check more than 1 case? We're wanting to take 2!

Did you check more than 1 case? We're wanting to take 2!

There is no enforced limit on the number of checked luggage, we have often brought several bags and more than one water/soda cases.

I'll be taking the Getaway in a week and I'm wanting to take a few cases of water. Does anyone have any experience with checking the water with their bags? I know you can carry it on, but I've also read people have been able to check it curb side at the port. I'm just wanting to know the success rate of this!

I'll be docking out of the port in Miami!!!

Lissa,

we just did this in March on the BA out of NYC...here is what they dont tell you...when your bags are delivered to your room any bags containing water bottles will be quarantined along with anyone bringing tanks of oxygen onboard. the scanners pick up that its a liquid and it gets put aside for inspection...this takes about an hour longer then normal luggage. so we arrived at our stateroom and the duffle bag with our water was not there... our room steward said it will arrive in about an hour due to it being a liquid...just FYI so you dont think it was lost or stolen..

Best,

Mark

We have checked both water and 12 pack cans of soda in Miami. NCL allows it, but there have been some reports that the dock workers won't take it in certain areas .... I think New Orleans and maybe Tampa were in this category.

But in Miami we just taped a luggage tag to the case of water. Now, we have a nylon "suitcase" that folds completely flat that we put the case of water in. We can pack it easily to the port city, buy the water there and then check it like any other luggage. For the return trip we fold it up and shove it in one of our carryons.

Lissa,

we just did this in March on the BA out of NYC...here is what they dont tell you...when your bags are delivered to your room any bags containing water bottles will be quarantined along with anyone bringing tanks of oxygen onboard. the scanners pick up that its a liquid and it gets put aside for inspection...this takes about an hour longer then normal luggage. so we arrived at our stateroom and the duffle bag with our water was not there... our room steward said it will arrive in about an hour due to it being a liquid...just FYI so you dont think it was lost or stolen..

Best,

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for this information, I definitely would of been concerned. It's a relief to know ahead of time!

We have checked both water and 12 pack cans of soda in Miami. NCL allows it, but there have been some reports that the dock workers won't take it in certain areas .... I think New Orleans and maybe Tampa were in this category.

But in Miami we just taped a luggage tag to the case of water. Now, we have a nylon "suitcase" that folds completely flat that we put the case of water in. We can pacllk it easily to the port city, buy the water there and then check it like any other luggage. For the return trip we fold it up and shove it in one of our carryons.

Good idea, thanks for the tip, I will likely do this......

we used packing tape to tape a luggage tag onto the case of water...in Ft. Lauderdale...... showed up in tact in our cabin with our luggage... did not put it inside anything

we used packing tape to tape a luggage tag onto the case of water...in Ft. Lauderdale...... showed up in tact in our cabin with our luggage... did not put it inside anything

That's how we do it too. We do put packing tape around the sides of the case so it all stays together. They stack all the water/soda together on pallets in NYC and it sometimes arrives before our luggage. :)