What I Saw on My Vacation (Q about Mercury)

Mysteryreader

Dh and I were driving from BC into OR on Oct. 9, a route that took us through Astoria, OR. In Astoria, we saw a sign about cruise ship dock thataway. Dh said it must be a smaller ship b/c no big ship would come to Astoria. I told him that I'd read on CC that Astoria was a port on the Pacific NW itinerary. Not possible he said. We got nearer the dock and lo and behold, there was Mercury!

He wants to know: (1) what other ports are on that cruise, and (2) what could possibly be of interest in Astoria? (We know that Ft. Clatsop burned down the previous wk, but that was the only destination we know of that was worth the time.)

The X website has already removed Mercury's itinerary. Can someone supply the answers?

M/R

Mercury was not the only ship to dock in Astoria this year. My husband and I were on Infinity on a trip from Vancouver to Nanaimo to Victoria to Astoria to San Francisco. We live in Seattle, have been through Astoria numerous times, so we just got off the ship to buy a newspaper to read about Katrina. There were a few shore excursions offered that others we met went on. Some people went all the way to Mt. St. Helens. We were originally going to do a seafood cooking class but the venue was changed so we dropped out.

The other ports we visited were Nanaimo and Victoria.

The original itinerary had Vancouver instead of Astoria. After it was changed to Astoria I thought it would be interesting because of the Fort. Since the Fort did burn down the week before, the cost of that excursion was reduced.

We arrived in Astoria on a Sunday and did find many shops to be closed that day.

we also pass through a lot ... including last Sunday, when Mercury was docked on the repo trip south. There's a LOT you can do from Astoria ... the town itself has Scandinavian history plus the Maritime Museum ... Lewis and Clark history on the Oregon and Washington sides of the huge Astoria Bridge ... but what I would do is rent a car and check out the spectacular Oregon Coast. Beautiful stretches of 101 are less than an hour away. -- TR

Archived