Pacific Northwest Itenerary-what to do?

luv2gocruzin

Hi, We are going on the 5 nighter on the 19th of Sept. This is our 3rd X cruise. We are doing the Grouse Mt & Bridge tour in Vancouver & the train ride in Prince Rupert. We got the info for the tours off the X website.

Hi, We are going on the 5 nighter on the 19th of Sept. This is our 3rd X cruise. We are doing the Grouse Mt & Bridge tour in Vancouver & the train ride in Prince Rupert. We got the info for the tours off the X website.

Hi Windermere!

I'll check the site, thanks! Have you sailed on Mercury before?

We're going 9/24 & look forward to Boutchart Gardens in Victoria plus a winery on a ship's excuriosn. Also going to Astoria Oregon--seems so beautiful & lots of history--will take a general tour & then tour one of the historic homes on our own. . In Nainamo will shop & hang out by the waterfront--so excited about this mini inside passage itin....

Hi,

In Astoria, if you have a chance to actually do a vintage home tour on your own, I highly recommend the Flavel Mansion. Captain Flavel was a rather well-to-do mariner, and built a spectacular home that is beautifully furnished and well maintained.

Have a great cruise!

CM

We will be doing the short 6-night Pacific Northwest on the Infinity on Aug. 28. One of the things we will be doing in Vancouver is the Beluga Whales encounter at the Aquarium. http://www.vanaqua.org/visit_us/belugaencounters.html

In Victoria we will go to Butchart Gardens http://www.tourismvictoria.com/Content/EN/417.asp?id=A0000429

In Astoria we are taking Celebrity's tour to Mt. St. Helens. When we return home, we will write our review with pictures; and put it on our website at www.thepreismans.com We return 9/3, so you can look for the review around the second week in Sept.

BTW, we did the W. Caribbean on the Mercury for our second cruise, and loved the ship and service. Pictures are on our website.

deffinitely go see Butchart Gardens it is amazing. Around every corner is something new, words cannot desribe it. Victoria is also a city full of antique shops and Iwold say hihg tea, but you can do that on the ship. Im sad that my ship is not visiting victoria, but you cant have everything.

Great idea! Regarding Astoria, thanks for the name of the Flavel mansion I could not remember it. We will take the ship's tour of Astoria & the Fort & then do that home on our own. Can you tell me how far it is from where the ship docks & about how long it would take to do the tour? --guess I'll check for a website to get hours & costs. They did offer a tour with scones but feel that would limit us to one thing & there is so much we'd like to take a look at... Hope the water is not too rough going around to Oregon as I have heard....seems it might be similar to the area between the St Lawrence River & Atlantic on east coast--open water & rough at times...

The Flavel mansion is two blocks from the far west end of "Downtown" proper; there's some question as to which moorage will be used - they'll either dock at the Port or they'll anchor near the Maritime Museum and tender - I 've seen both done.

That said, the Flavel would be about a six block walk from the nearest Waterfront Streetcar station, on level ground the whole way.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Not to dispute anyone, but for accuracy's sake the Flavel Mansion is not on flat/level ground. If you walk to the mansion there will be a slight rise the last block or so. It's not on a steep hillside, but it isn't totally level ground, either.

And, not to discourage anyone from seeing our magnificent Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument, but be advised the later in the year you sail this itinerary the more probable there will be cloudy weather. And this year the weather seems all out of whack, so who knows....

That said, even if you do the tour and don't get to see cloudless views of the whole mountain, the outstanding visitor and interpretive centers will be well worth your time. She is a VERY active volcano, constantly extruding lava, and frequently putting out showy bursts of steam.

Have a great tour, folks!

CM

• 4 weeks later...
We are doing the Grouse Mt & Bridge tour in Vancouver...

The Capilano Suspension bridge now features a Treetops Adventure that is unique. The Grouse Skyride Gondola will give you an amazing view of the Vancouver harbour and coastal area all the way to the Island.

If you go on your own, you will also have time to tour Stanley Park, and Horseshoe Bay. Do you know where you dock - there are three different places, two downtown and one on the North Shore (closer to Grouse and Horseshoe Bay)?

Keith in West Vancouver (heading for the Mediterranean in September on X)

Also Butchart Gardens in Victoria (30 minute drive) as well as the inner habour (15 minute walk from the dock) with the Empress Hotel and lots of shops and restaurants

• 2 weeks later...

I will be on the Oct. 8th cruise and I am also from Portland, so I am pretty familiar with Astoria. As far as dining goes, I have heard good things about Silver Salmon Grille. It is great for seafood, obviously! The website is http://www.silversalmongrille.com

Also remember, Oregon does not have any sales tax, so buy a lot of gifts there.

Archived