Alaska Solstice reviews

lilcush1955

Hi Jim

We're coming over from the UK and we're only in Seattle for one night before our cruise and one night afterwards. What have we got to do (apart from the large pointy thing of course, the kids demand it)?

Hi Les!

You will have a great time. Everything I can offer you is on my Seattle website which you can find by clicking here.

Once you have checked it out, feel free to ask any questions.

Jim

I see now you boarded in Vancouver. That is very unlike YVR but it certainly won't happen here in Seattle.

I agree...Vancouver was one of our smoothest departures ever. I love the terminal...staying at Pan Pacific and just strolling down to the terminal and boarding was a lark. Of course there was some confusion at checkin with the lines and inexperienced passengers as there always is with any departure, but if you go early as we do, you will find it much less stressful.

More confusion with debarking in Vancouver because of the customs procedures but In over 20 cruises, that was one of the best.

Looking to have the same smooth process upcoming out of Seattle returning to Vancouver. Can't wait. All in all, these kinds of delays and hassle don't bother me at all. I'm just excited to get on the ship and begin my trip:D We will be in line at the terminal by 10:00 as usual.

Thanks for your expertize Koob....going right now to check out your site. We are staying at Holiday Inn Downtown...good choice?

Edited by BecciBoo

Just returned from the May 20th sailing - all I can say is WOW! What a fantastic cruise. We enjoyed every single second and can honestly say, it was our best cruise yet. The ship is beautiful, the scenery magnificent and the crew outstanding!

Any questions - just ask!

Just returned from the May 20th sailing - all I can say is WOW! What a fantastic cruise. We enjoyed every single second and can honestly say, it was our best cruise yet. The ship is beautiful, the scenery magnificent and the crew outstanding!

Any questions - just ask!

Yes! How did you pack? We are from Florida and really have no idea what to expect for both excursions and dinner each evening!!!

Yes! How did you pack? We are from Florida and really have no idea what to expect for both excursions and dinner each evening!!!

Somehow I managed to pack without going over weight (49.5lbs to be exact!). The weather is really all over the place... so you kind of have to be prepared for anything. We had sunny skies and warm temps in Ketchikan, cooler and cloudy in Juneau, sun, clouds and everything inbetween in Skagway (where we rented a car and drove the South Klondike highway into the Yukon Territory - highly recommend). My best suggestion is layers + a backpack! That way you can carry a rain coat just in case. Temps were mostly 50's to maybe low 60's. Jean & long sleeves, various jackets for day time - then dress clothes for evening and then casual clothes (yoga pants/tee's) for grabbing coffee in the morning, walking the ship. Oh... a scarf is always good and maybe a toboggan hat. I wish I had brought one for when we sailed through the Fjord - it's early morning, so quite chilly for standing out on deck. That was the coldest I was the entire trip. It was a truly fantastic cruise in every way! Alaska is truly breathtaking!

Edited by bhughey

Somehow I managed to pack without going over weight (49.5lbs to be exact!). The weather is really all over the place... so you kind of have to be prepared for anything. We had sunny skies and warm temps in Ketchikan, cooler and cloudy in Juneau, sun, clouds and everything inbetween in Skagway (where we rented a car and drove the South Klondike highway into the Yukon Territory - highly recommend). My best suggestion is layers + a backpack! That way you can carry a rain coat just in case. Temps were mostly 50's to maybe low 60's. Jean & long sleeves, various jackets for day time - then dress clothes for evening and then casual clothes (yoga pants/tee's) for grabbing coffee in the morning, walking the ship. Oh... a scarf is always good and maybe a toboggan hat. I wish I had brought one for when we sailed through the Fjord - it's early morning, so quite chilly for standing out on deck. That was the coldest I was the entire trip. It was a truly fantastic cruise in every way! Alaska is truly breathtaking!

Thanks so much for the information. So looking forward to this cruise!

For all of you I hope you get as great a weather for your sail away as we had today here in Seattle. Speaking of Seattle, if anyone has any Seattle questions...ask away. Long time local here.

Jim

Jim,

We were just in Seattle 2 days post-cruise and will be back next year as well. Seattle is my favorite city, but we are curious, when will the waterfront construction be complete? We ate dinner at Ivar's Saturday night, and it was a nightmare to get down to the waterfront (we walked).

Cynthia

Jim,

We were just in Seattle 2 days post-cruise and will be back next year as well. Seattle is my favorite city, but we are curious, when will the waterfront construction be complete? We ate dinner at Ivar's Saturday night, and it was a nightmare to get down to the waterfront (we walked).

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

They are both replacing the sea wall and digging a tunnel to replace the viaduct. I believe it will be at least another cruise season before it is all gone. The good news is that when it is done and the viaduct is down, there will be a wonderful openness all the way to the water with a waterfront park.

Sorry you had to see it that way. How was Ivar's? Too touristy for us but it is a Seattle institution.

Hi Cynthia,

They are both replacing the sea wall and digging a tunnel to replace the viaduct. I believe it will be at least another cruise season before it is all gone. The good news is that when it is done and the viaduct is down, there will be a wonderful openness all the way to the water with a waterfront park.

Sorry you had to see it that way. How was Ivar's? Too touristy for us but it is a Seattle institution.

Oh wow, I had no idea the viaduct was moving. Ivar's is always a treat. The food is fantastic, the service is great, and the views are spectacular. It is my favorite restaurant in Seattle. I have never had a bad experience there.

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia....just home today from our B2B.....DrKoob......What is up with your cruise terminal situation? The terminal itself is fine but the way too few lanes driving up to it and the clueless traffic directors made it one of the worst embarks we have ever had...the last 1/2 mile to drop off took like 50 minutes and you cant even jump out to walk it either....to make it worse we needed to run to the bank by cab on turnover day between our B2B's so we had the lovely experience twice.....PLEASE let your Port know they need to reroute the traffic some way or another....

Hi Cynthia....just home today from our B2B.....DrKoob......What is up with your cruise terminal situation? The terminal itself is fine but the way too few lanes driving up to it and the clueless traffic directors made it one of the worst embarks we have ever had...the last 1/2 mile to drop off took like 50 minutes and you cant even jump out to walk it either....to make it worse we needed to run to the bank by cab on turnover day between our B2B's so we had the lovely experience twice.....PLEASE let your Port know they need to reroute the traffic some way or another....

Were you at pier 66 (downtown waterfront) or pier 91 (two ships tied up together a ways from downtown). Pier 66 is affected by the construction that will be going on for a year or more. But I have never heard anyone complain too much about 91 so let me know if that was it. If you aren't sure which one you were at, just tell me what line you were sailing and I will know.

Jim

Oh, I agree! it was terrible on May 20th! We were maybe a football field away and sat, and sat and sat! There was like, no method to the madness in regards to the persons directing traffic.

Were you at pier 66 (downtown waterfront) or pier 91 (two ships tied up together a ways from downtown). Pier 66 is affected by the construction that will be going on for a year or more. But I have never heard anyone complain too much about 91 so let me know if that was it. If you aren't sure which one you were at, just tell me what line you were sailing and I will know.

Jim

Pier 91