Royals Wheelchair Accessible Tender in Cayman

I just booked a cruise for the fall on Liberty of the Seas with Cayman as a port because I have been assured that barring bad weather Royal now has wheelchair accessible tenders. I was able to google a video of one that looks like a dream come true for full time chair users but would love to hear personal accounts of how well these tenders have worked and if you were not able to use it for some reason.

The Tenders are provided by the Port of Grand Cayman and service several cruise ships.

There's a ramp on/off the tender but the tenders are not new and were not designed with extra space specifically for wheelchairs and scooters. So I won't kid you it's kind of tricky getting the wheelchair or scooter placed once onboard the tender. The tender crew is very experience so just allow them to take the lead to get you positioned as well as on/off. You'll understand what I mean once you're there. I'm just thrilled to be able to get off the ship with my scooter in Grand Cayman . :)

The Tenders are provided by the Port of Grand Cayman and service several cruise ships.

There's a ramp on/off the tender but the tenders are not new and were not designed with extra space specifically for wheelchairs and scooters. So I won't kid you it's kind of tricky getting the wheelchair or scooter placed once onboard the tender. The tender crew is very experience so just allow them to take the lead to get you positioned as well as on/off. You'll understand what I mean once you're there. I'm just thrilled to be able to get off the ship with my scooter in Grand Cayman . :)

That's great info to know as we will be going back there in November. I'd written off leaving the ship until reading this.

They didn't have this the last time we went to Grand Cayman, but at that time I was able to stand and take a few steps until they got my wheelchair on the dock. I just remember with the motion from the waves, that first step from the tender to the dock constantly varied from 3 inches to 2 feet. It made things a little tense until I was seated in my wheelchair on solid ground.

I used the tender without issues. The scooter is my personal scooter and not a rented one. I have no idea if a rented one is allowed off the ship. I think they are, but I'm not positive.

I always understood the problem wasn't so much the tender but the dock on Grand Caymen having a lot of steps up to the top. Has that changed?

That doesn't ring a bell at all with me.

To my knowledge, there are 3 docks used at Grand Cayman, for different cruiselines. I was just there in March with Royal Caribbean (Anthem) with a full size scooter.

After getting off the tender, there was a high 3 level switchback ramp to go down. A little hairy with tight turns, but an attendant stayed with me at all times, making suggestions on turning and making sure I went down slowly.

On the tender, I just stayed in the aisle. Last on, last off. It's a great port for shopping and lots of transportation available from there. Discover Mexico Museum, approximately 2 miles down the main road was our destination. Transport is needed as the main road has very crazy driving "Mexican style"!

Worth the hassle and thankful it's available. Vicki

I used the tender without issues. The scooter is my personal scooter and not a rented one. I have no idea if a rented one is allowed off the ship. I think they are, but I'm not positive.

Rented scooters are allowed off the ship.

I always understood the problem wasn't so much the tender but the dock on Grand Caymen having a lot of steps up to the top. Has that changed?

OP is asking specifically about RCCL's Liberty of the Seas. The dock RCCL uses is ramped. Have driven my scooter on/off at the piers numerous times when cruising with RCCL.

OP is asking specifically about RCCL's Liberty of the Seas. The dock RCCL uses is ramped. Have driven my scooter on/off at the piers numerous times when cruising with RCCL.

Good point. But next time I have to deal with Celebrity I will remind them that they use a rccl.com email address for all their disabled related questions. It is rather maddening when other lines will raise a tender up to wheel a person on if the dock can deal with us but another lines says they can't do the same.

Anyone with knowledge about Carnival having scooter access to Grand Cayman? I will be there in August and thought I would have to stay on board waving goodbye to my friends as they went off into town.

Edited by isaiahsnana