Toulon - I'm Stumped

gilbster

I'll be in Toulon next month as the first port on my Norwegian Spirit Grand Mediterranean cruise and despite reading lots of tour descriptions, I still don't have the foggiest what I want to do.

I am a slow walker, especially in the heat and not really a fan of walking tours as a result, and thus none of the NCL excursions are jumping out at me.

I've never been anywhere in Provence, but I also fancy St. Tropez but suspect need suggestions of low activity levels cruises that someone who is fairly aimless and not overly culturally minded may enjoy.

Would love to hear people's thoughts, of anything they feel could be suitable, from reputable companies.

I suspect an on your own type excursion would be perfect for me, but not found any yet from Toulon going anywhere.

We thoroughly enjoyed a ship's excursion to Aix-en-Provence some years ago. The walking tour of the town was short and interesting, and we had free time to enjoy the colourful market and cafes.

In Toulon itself there is also a market (think it was a Sunday when we visited) and a little land train that takes you up to the beach area and back.

If you haven't been to the area before, a trip out of Toulon is probably the best option. The excursion team will be able to tell you if free time is included in a tour, and how much walking is involved.

We are slightly puzzled at the OP's post. A major part of seeing Europe involves walking! One can only do so much while looking through a bus window. Even if you hired a private car/driver in Toulon, you would need to get out of the car and walk around in various places unless you are happy seeing the world through a window.

We do agree with the recommendation to go to Aix. One could also consider Les Baux, Avignon, Cassis, etc etc. There are enough places to see in Provence to keep one busy for a year! But just about everything does involve some walking. Even St Tropez (not one of our favorite places) requires walking if one is to see and experience this tired sea resort city.

Hank

We are slightly puzzled at the OP's post. A major part of seeing Europe involves walking! One can only do so much while looking through a bus window. Even if you hired a private car/driver in Toulon, you would need to get out of the car and walk around in various places unless you are happy seeing the world through a window.

We do agree with the recommendation to go to Aix. One could also consider Les Baux, Avignon, Cassis, etc etc. There are enough places to see in Provence to keep one busy for a year! But just about everything does involve some walking. Even St Tropez (not one of our favorite places) requires walking if one is to see and experience this tired sea resort city.

Hank

I should have clarified better, yes I know everywhere requires walking, but most of the itineraries I have seen specify guided walking tours..which given I tend to lag behind even when walking down a street with friends, makes me think excursions that specify walking tour is a bit pointless.

I would agree with Hlitner that in Europe the tour takes you somewhere in a coach but then you do need to get out of the coach car park to actually view the sight. You will have to do that on foot.

Saying that, you do not have to stick with the guide on the walking tour as long as you can find your way back to the coach park on time. I have tended to go AWOL on a walking tour!

You have not told posted whether or not you want to stick to ship tours, are planning DIY or want to do a private tour so it is difficulty to comment on the potential activity levels of the choices available to you.

Aix is a good suggestion from Toulon because there is a reasonable journey through the countryside which although is not a 'highlight' you do get the chance to listen to the guide telling you about the area. When you get to Aix you can get out of the coach, ask what time you are to meet back and follow the guide as far as you want (I recall that it takes you up hill) before sitting down for a coffee and watching the world go by.

For the rest of the trip you may well find use for one of those tripod walking stick/chairs so that you can have a little rest during the inevitable walking portions of your day.

Going to places that have either the little train or a HOHO bus that you can sit on may also be a good option for you.

I can recommend Provence wine tours

we used them a few years ago and visited 3 wineries,village of Cassis and a panoramic viewpoint

my husband cant walk long distances so this worked fine as we saw a lot but out of the van for short walks

They run 8 seater vans and charge 95 euros per person so you don't have to build your own group

Their website has several shore excursions on offer

I wasn't aware you could walk off from a walking tour. That is information worth bearing in mind. So long as I know where a coach park is I tend to be able to get back to them on time.

So taking that piece of information into account, there is a St. Tropez and Port Grimaud excursion with NCL, has anyone done that?

I'm looking either at possibly ship tours, other excursion companies but don't feel the private tour companies are really within my budget.

Quite happy to ignore a guided walk bit, potter about at my own pace, if time permits get some lunch, before heading back to a coach. Just want to generally get a feel for an area and perhaps pick up some souvenirs. I figure because I live in England, its probably not that hard to go back to an area on a separate holiday if something really captures my imagination.

I am looking at some HOHO buses for a couple of the Italian ports on the cruise, and I know from experience or from reading a few others are very easy to DIY.

I can recommend Provence wine tours

we used them a few years ago and visited 3 wineries,village of Cassis and a panoramic viewpoint

my husband cant walk long distances so this worked fine as we saw a lot but out of the van for short walks

They run 8 seater vans and charge 95 euros per person so you don't have to build your own group

Their website has several shore excursions on offer

Now this sounds interesting, and not having to build my own group appeals!

Sounds like it could be a gentle, pleasant day with some wine involved which is never a bad plan.

Thank you, I think is could be a definite possibility.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I've pretty much decided on the Cassis-Bandol wine tour by Provence Wine Tours, and since they are saying there is only 1 space left, I think I should grab it.

I had a feeling I would know the right sort of tour once I saw it, it was just getting to that stage.

Thank you fabnfortysomething

Thanks for your help everyone.

I've pretty much decided on the Cassis-Bandol wine tour by Provence Wine Tours, and since they are saying there is only 1 space left, I think I should grab it.

I had a feeling I would know the right sort of tour once I saw it, it was just getting to that stage.

Thank you fabnfortysomething

no problem

we emailed with Marianne and had Gaetanne as our guide-you will have a great time and good that you can add onto a group

I remember that at each winery they provided tasters of the expensive reserve wines as well as the cheaper and to my palate I preferred the cheaper!

makes me a cheap date:D

no problem

we emailed with Marianne and had Gaetanne as our guide-you will have a great time and good that you can add onto a group

I remember that at each winery they provided tasters of the expensive reserve wines as well as the cheaper and to my palate I preferred the cheaper!

makes me a cheap date:D

I'm not convinced that I have a wine palate at all. I just generally drink whatever white wine someone else has bought or selected!

However quite happy to taste various wines, maybe I'll discover I do have a palate or preference.

Feel a lot better now that I have one port pretty much sorted, just waiting on Gaetanne to send a payment link, but figure it will appear during the day tomorrow.

Just need to sort out some other ports now!

We've got the same dilemma.

We really like the option of going to St Tropez. Our ship (celebrity Equinox) has 7am-7pm in port.

It seems the options are

1. Train from Toulon - St Raphael 0815 - 0912 or 947 - 1036 ($162 for 4 people)

and then ~ 1hr bus from St Raphael - St Tropez.

The bus from St R to St Tropez looks like it goes along the coast and would be scenic.

2. Bus from Toulon to St Tropez 1hr 45 min - 2 hrs

on Sundays it seems only one bus leaves at 0810 and we might not get off the ship and to the bus stop on time and the next one leaves at 12

I would greatly appreciate any advice if anyone has gone to St Tropez for the day

We would probably take our time getting off the ship (everything is closed on Sunday mornings anyway) and later take a taxi to one of the rental car agencies that open around 10am on Sunday (near the train station). We can drive from Toulon to St Tropez in about 1 hour. We will reserve our comments as to whether St Tropez is worth the hassle :).

Hank