Excursions, DIY or small group tours

kezlj20

Hi All

I am booked on the Vista 19th July with my family, can't wait, just been having a look round and was wondering, do many people DIY in ports or just book a tour, (private or cruise line).

Rhodes and Malta look easy, been to Malta before, we are well travelled so would have no issues getting the public transport etc, but maybe Rome would be a good one to book a tour so we dont spend half the day trying to find the various places, my husband has been known to get us lost with map in hand lol.

Any info and thoughts would be great

Cheers

Kerrie

and use them later without data connection.

I booked Ephesus and Linorno semi-private tours on my own, and planing to do the rest ports on my own.

Good luck with you planing.. it's lots of work.

Hi

Thanks for info, have downloaded a couple of guides, yes i agree a lot of work but thinking maybe will get to see more on our own as we can decide to how long we wish to stay at each attraction instead of being ushered along with the crowds.

Cheers

Kerrie

Hi

Thanks for info, have downloaded a couple of guides, yes i agree a lot of work but thinking maybe will get to see more on our own as we can decide to how long we wish to stay at each attraction instead of being ushered along with the crowds.

Cheers

Kerrie

Have you gone to http://tomsportguides.com/. This is a great source of information.

I am doing RIL tours for Naples and Florence, using a `transport`only into Rome from the port and plan on doing my own thing in Rome. Have a half day tour for Ephesus and all the other ports plan on DIY.

Hi

Thanks for reply and link, some great info, think we are doing Naples on our own to Pompei, possible tour in Florence/Pisa but DIY also looks doable to Florence, not decided what we are doing in Sicily yet, other ports we will DIY i think, just then leaves Rome, will have a good read, like thats not all i'm doing at the minute lol

Thanks

Kerrie

I would seriously recommend a guided tour of Pompeii - we have done it twice - once with a guide and the other without, without a guide you don't really get to understand what you are looking at other then lots of ruins?! The guides tell you lots of information about things you would otherwise miss or pass-by, plus if you plan on getting there yourself be careful because lots of people we spoke to were getting seriously ripped off by taxis....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you, good info to take into account, we are looking to maybe take a bus, some of the guide book info suggests its quicker than the train, there are guides outside that you can hire or maybe the audio guides will be interesting, 8 weeks to go so still got a bit of time to get all things planned

Cheers

Kerrie

We're doing a mix of on our own and tours. Rome is actually pretty easy to get around, we did a land based trip a couple years ago and that was the easiest stop we had and easy public transportation options.

We opted to book a private excursion for Sicily as we're there on a Sunday, a private excursion for Naples to Pompeii and Taormina, and a Carnival excursion for Marseilles. The other 2 Italy stops we're doing on our own as well as Palma. (Not sure of your itinerary.)

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

Thanks, i am so enjoying reading what others have planned & searching the different ports, our itinerary is similar, we have Malta & Rhodes on ours but no Palma, enjoy your cruise.

Thanks

Kerrie

We are on your same cruise.

We are using RomeInLimo for Rome and Messina (and possibly Naples).

I am looking at using Tuscany Bus to go to Pisa. They go to Florence as well, but since this is such a port-intensive itinerary, I'm looking for some 1/2 day options and this would be a good fit for our family (we have a 17 year old and a 10 year old).

I found a hop-on-hop-off tour for Malta; not sure what we are doing in Rhodes.

For Marseilles, I am contemplating just taking the train to one of the smaller coastal towns.

Good luck!

Did u try ur roll call?? I'm sure there are tours I can join I highly recommend italytoursharing.com. Book 3 and get a discount. We are leaving June 3 and my whole roll call issuing italytoursharing.com as several of us have used them in the past 😀😀have a great cruise. I will be reporting back June 11!!

i have been reading lots from people who have already been on the Vista, its great stuff and very good that people are taking time out on their holidays to report back for us, have a fantastic cruise, i will look forward to your reports, i am taking a break from port planning and looking at what to pack, elegant nights will be fun as my kids (18 & 14) like to dress casual so need to make sure i pack something that will be suitable lol

Thanks

Kerrie

Excellent, we may see you at the meet & mingle if you have signed up on our cruise roll call, my kids (boys 18 & 14) are really looking forward to the cruise, we have planned on doing this for a couple of years but never got round to it, they have always decided on some other land based location instead, i will check out the Tuscany bus, OH has been looking at train to Florence so we can do what we want and come back when we want, all the tours look really good as well, happy planning

Thanks