Empress: If you traveled after 2004 redesign, which side is the portside?

RareBird

Hi All,

We took a cruise on then called Nordic Empress in 2003 to Bermuda, and right side of the ship was the portside = where people left and came on the ship, and also the side facing Hamilton and St. Georges in bermuda. We were in cabin 9618.

Now, I booked a cruise to bermuda again for summer of 2006, and customer service is insisting that the portside is now the LEFT side of the ship!

Please, anyone who traveled Nordic Empress in the last year, what was the portside?

Thanks so much!

I need an answer quick, i reserved a cabin, but might need to change to the other side of the ship depending on the answers! I want the portside (naturally) :)

It's a junior suite cabin with a balcony, and i'd like the city view.

Thanks! :)

Maybe you're confusing the folks at customer service because the "left" side of the ship is always considered "the port side". The right side is starboard. Just a thought, but I know what you mean.

good point! I'm definitely not up to speed on my nautical terms, but my travel agent insisted the portside is the dock side on a ship. Plus, 3 customer service reps said it's LEFT, one said it was RIGHT LOL :D

The question still stands: on teh redesigned Empress, which side faces the port when the ship is in port? :)

Sometimes people get confused because the ship does not always dock with the port side to the pier. Sometimes they dock with the starboard to the pier and then you do get off on the right side.

Remember port and left both have four letters and port is to your left if you are standing on the ship facing forward.

Sometimes people get confused because the ship does not always dock with the port side to the pier. Sometimes they dock with the starboard to the pier and then you do get off on the right side.

Remember port and left both have four letters and port is to your left if you are standing on the ship facing forward.

Retired, that was the case with the Empress in Bermuda back in 2003. Before the redesign, she docked on the right side of the ship in king's warf and hamilton.

Retired, that was the case with the Empress in Bermuda back in 2003. Before the redesign, she docked on the right side of the ship in king's warf and hamilton.

It's according to the dock. Sometimes it's easier to turn the ship around when entering to make exiting easier. Sometimes not. Some ports have very little room to maneuver.

so they can do it on either side?

hmm... i wish i could find those who traveled on her to bermuda in 04 and 05! btw, did this forum ever have a private messaging system? I found a few posters who went to bermuda, but can't message them.

I need an answer quick, i reserved a cabin, but might need to change to the other side of the ship depending on the answers! I want the portside (naturally) :)

It's a junior suite cabin with a balcony, and i'd like the city view.

Thanks! :)

I'd question the choice of being on the city/wharf side of the ship when docked in Hamilton. The city side is just that -- some buildings fronted by a busy street. I can see that by looking out the window in my office. But the other side looks out on Hamilton Sound and across the harbor to the other side of the island with those beautifully-colored homes. I've done both several times and definitely enjoy the Sound view more. Other opinions may differ.

If they have shifted port and starboard I sure hope they haven't switched forward and aft. That would make things really confusing....:eek: What if the inside cabins are now outside cabins.....:eek: :eek:

I'd question the choice of being on the city/wharf side of the ship when docked in Hamilton. The city side is just that -- some buildings fronted by a busy street. I can see that by looking out the window in my office. But the other side looks out on Hamilton Sound and across the harbor to the other side of the island with those beautifully-colored homes. I've done both several times and definitely enjoy the Sound view more. Other opinions may differ.

really?!? I thought the best side is the city side, especially with a balcony cabin. Maybe I SHOULD try the water side! :) something to think about, that's for sure.

It's intersting that all the junior suite cabins (at least 10) before 9120 are already sold out on the left side, while lots are still available on the right.

Funny how we all say it's left (port) or right (starboard), well that completely changes depening on where you are standing on the ship!! Stand at the front looking back yest it is reversed. I thought I always booked port because we have always, I mean always been against the dock at every port but we are indeed booking starboard!! I was stunned when I found this out. I love to people watch especially in Cozumel when you have the Carlos & Charlies crowd running for the ship :D Look at the cruise cams, last ship on left on the Royal dock in Miami is starboard but the one in front of it is port, weird. Booked starboard on the Freedom I may be suprised. Don't see it docking anywhere but Miami and maybe Cozumel anyway. No clue about Montego Bay.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived