Anyone do specialty restaurants on Formal nights?

flagger

We are going to eat in the SS United States on the first formal night and we have not decided which night for our second visit. Ms. Flagger found the lobster to be tough and lacking on our last cruise and we could do without the IMHO silly baked alaska parade so we might do the second formal night there as well.

Anyone else forgo formal night in the main dining room and eat in the specialty restaurants onboard the M-Class ships?

Yes! We just did it on the Infinity as well. We skipped the first formal night in lew of celebrating a friend's birthday at the specialty restaurant. We dressed in our gowns and tuxes and had a fabulous meal in the SS United States. Definitely better than the standard lobster fare. It was perfect, and the celebration of our friends birthday just made it that much more memorable. (By the way, we did the paring menu and it was perfect!)

We did, too, on the Millenium last February. The group we were touring with scheduled the first formal night in the Olympic. We had to trun down an invite to the Captain's table to do it and we were not sorry. It was a wonderful meal and so elegant with all of us dressed to the nines.

BTW, the goat cheese souffle was to die for but I was disappointed in the chocolate souffle after all the folks raved about it on CC boards.

BTW, the goat cheese souffle was to die for but I was disappointed in the chocolate souffle after all the folks raved about it on CC boards.
Yes we really liked the goat cheese souffle but thought the chocolate souffle was awful and tasteless.

Yeah, sure Andrew, some one told me that you have a birthday on every cruise you go on:D
Two this year so far...maybe that's why people call me wise beyond my years?:D (Well, someone might have said it...sometime...anyone?... anyone?)

No, actually, I've started skipping years so maybe that explains my infantile sense of humor!:eek:

Andrew

Only two this year? I'll take as many celebrations as I can. Anytime a little bubbly can be utilized, is a time for a celebration for something! As far as counting Birthdays...considering the alternative, I'll gladly celebrate each and every one...

Karyn

I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the paring menu.

What would you like to know? I don't remember the exact details, but basically it is 5 courses and each course is served with the appropriately selected wine including a dessert wine. There is an appetizer, soup/salad, main course, cheese course, and dessert accompanied by a tray of tuffles and pastries. The paring are the Chef selections. For each course they have selected one or two items from the main menu for you to pick from, and then the appropriate accompanying wine to go with it.

There is an added cost (I think is was $28 pp) on top of the Specialty restaurant fee to have the paring. Everyone in your party has to have the paring. So if one of you wants to do it, you all have to.

It truly was a wonderful experience and the selections were very good. The goat cheese souffle was part of the paring, and is my absolute favorite. Have to agree on the Chocolate Souffle though. I was not overly impressed, but the creme broulee is excellent.

Just a difference of opinion here -- we always have dinner in the dining room on formal nights (baked alaska notwithstanding). We usually go to the Normandie on "informal" nights when gentlemen are asked to wear jackets. That way we get the best of everything.

For the pairings, I think the entree choices this time were a salmon with crab crust or rack of lamb. I had foie gras, as did Joel. Marjorie, can't remember what you or Ed had...I thought we all had the Lobster veloute as a soup, but honestly, it was so wonderful, and decadent, that the mind blurs a little! They also tried, after the desserts we ordered, and after the petit fours and truffles, to serve me a birthday cake! But they very nicely arranged to have that delivered to my stateroom later. Funny, there was also a cake waiting for me in the dining room the next night, so I guess that counts as celebrating twice in one year already!:D

And Karyn, if you'll allow, we'll celebrate my birthday on the TA next Spring, too, but I'll expect a gift from you!;)

(Everyone, we're kidding- I have never celebrated a fake birthday on a cruise ship just to get a cake or a card from the Captain! Just so happens that we cruise a lot at the end of August!:) )

Andrew

For the pairings, I think the entree choices this time were a salmon with crab crust or rack of lamb. I had foie gras, as did Joel. Marjorie, can't remember what you or Ed had...I thought we all had the Lobster veloute as a soup, but honestly, it was so wonderful, and decadent, that the mind blurs a little! They also tried, after the desserts we ordered, and after the petit fours and truffles, to serve me a birthday cake! But they very nicely arranged to have that delivered to my stateroom later. Funny, there was also a cake waiting for me in the dining room the next night, so I guess that counts as celebrating twice in one year already!:D

And Karyn, if you'll allow, we'll celebrate my birthday on the TA next Spring, too, but I'll expect a gift from you!;)

(Everyone, we're kidding- I have never celebrated a fake birthday on a cruise ship just to get a cake or a card from the Captain! Just so happens that we cruise a lot at the end of August!:) )

Andrew

Andrew dear...I'll gladly celebrate your Birthday, Bar Mitzvah or any other occasion. And a gift will be forthcoming...My Mother has a tradtion; she gives "For Nothing Gifts". Always surprising, and always welcome!

Karyn

Karyn - we must be cut from similar cloth. Gifts for no reason sometimes are the best!

Andrew - for the record - I had the Salmon and the Goat Cheese Souffle, I think Ed did too (the goat cheese of course - we know what he had for the main course - shhhhhhhhh)!

Hey, is April too late to celebrate mine from March? :rolleyes:

I was always told on this board to eat in the specialty restaurant on a casual or informal night. Theory being that the regular resturant is putting out it's best on formal night, so if you going to pay, (and you want the best bang for your buck) formal night is the worst night. Is this wrong?

Hey flagger, is that your dog?

Can you make reservations before you get on ship? If not should you make them right when you get on?

thanks

You can make reservations by calling Captain's Club from 60 days till 3 days before sailing if you are a Captain's Club member.

We always go to either the speciality restaurant or a table just outside the Oceanview Cafe and check our reservations and make other nights if we want. You can only pre-book one night. :)

Archived