Pay with Disney giftcards when using TA?

EcoStyleKim

Planning our first Disney cruise (woo-hoo!!) and I'm trying to get a handle on all the tips and tricks. If using a TA, can I pay a portion of deposit and/or final with Disney giftcards (of course purchased with discounts at Target, Staples, etc)?

If I have a TA, will I just pay deposit or pay to TA for all? Or can I make payments direct to Disney thru their site?

Thanks for all your help and advice!

All of your payments will go through your TA. I used a $500. gift card as part of my cruise payment once.

You will be able to use your cards, but you may want to go online to combine them into one large card before giving to your TA. Otherwise, you'll need to give the code and pin for each card and the TA will in turn need to do that when they speak to DCL.

You might want to think about setting up a Disney Vacation Account. You can deposit your gift card (or direct from your credit card) into the account, and then use that to pay DCL directly (DCL for some reason does not want TA's handling the DVAs). If you do it that way, as long as you set up the DVA six months prior to your final payment date, Disney will mail you $20 in gift cards for every $1000 you spend. You can even use the DVA to purchase OBC for yourself, and still get the $20 gift cards. It is like getting an extra 2% back.

You might want to think about setting up a Disney Vacation Account. You can deposit your gift card (or direct from your credit card) into the account, and then use that to pay DCL directly (DCL for some reason does not want TA's handling the DVAs). If you do it that way, as long as you set up the DVA six months prior to your final payment date, Disney will mail you $20 in gift cards for every $1000 you spend. You can even use the DVA to purchase OBC for yourself, and still get the $20 gift cards. It is like getting an extra 2% back.

Does it have to be 6 months exactly? Our final payment is due Oct 15, are we too late to do this?

Does it have to be 6 months exactly? Our final payment is due Oct 15, are we too late to do this?

Too late to get the $20/$1000 bonus? Yes.

But there still can be some benefit in saving all your GCs in one place, or you can consolidate them via the disney gift card site.