On carnival vista but not luminae....

Wj420

"Fresh Fish

In one of the most unique offerings on a big ship we've come across, cruisers can purchase fresh fish at market price and have it cooked to order and served at any restaurant on board. Two to three times per cruise, a ship chef goes to a local fish market in a port of call to purchase several types of fresh fish; passengers can check out the selection at the Seafood Shack and either order what they want for lunch or pre-order dinner. (Selections must be made by lunch for dinner on the same day.) On our cruise, the chef purchased seabream and cod in Barcelona, seabass in Marseille and might might an additional purchase in Civitavecchia."

This is from a recent review. Made me remember the promise of locally sourced foods when dining in Lunimae, After three trips and nothing was locally sourced but looks like Carnival figured it out and no suite required! Lol!

"Fresh Fish

In one of the most unique offerings on a big ship we've come across, cruisers can purchase fresh fish at market price and have it cooked to order and served at any restaurant on board. Two to three times per cruise, a ship chef goes to a local fish market in a port of call to purchase several types of fresh fish; passengers can check out the selection at the Seafood Shack and either order what they want for lunch or pre-order dinner. (Selections must be made by lunch for dinner on the same day.) On our cruise, the chef purchased seabream and cod in Barcelona, seabass in Marseille and might might an additional purchase in Civitavecchia."

This is from a recent review. Made me remember the promise of locally sourced foods when dining in Lunimae, After three trips and nothing was locally sourced but looks like Carnival figured it out and no suite required! Lol!

Looks like a Carnival cruise is part of your future plans. Enjoy.

Eclipse and I believe Equinox also have a similar program, a tour, in which you go to a local market in port with the chef. He teaches you what food items are typical of the region and together the group pick out ingredients for a meal and later that day sit down for a meal the chef prepares from those ingredients. I don't recall the price for the excursion.

I don't know anyone who actually did one of these excursions, but they were being offered. It isn't exactly what Vista is doing, but comes close.

Oh, any night in the Ocean View Buffet you can choose your cuts of meats and fish and the chefs will prepare it for you right there. That is one of the main reasons Hubby and I go to the buffet every night instead of the MDR. I'm vegetarian, but Hubby surely isn't. He loves that the selections are freshly made especially for you to your specifications right then and there.

I think the replies have missed the OP's point that was referring to early marketing around the soon to be released suite only Luminae restaurant.

They intimated that 'fresh' and 'locally sourced' ingredients would be regular features of the new experience.

And being for a rather exclusive number of suite guests I would imagine this would be much more achievable than offering it to everyone...which is what Carnival appears to be doing per the review the OP came across

I think it's a great concept for Celebrity and its 'Modern Luxury' image...even the 'Chef Market Discovery' excursion another poster mentioned would be great to see offered more widely than it is. It's never been offered on our previous cruises [emoji853]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan