Laundry

BRONZEMEMBER

eeekkkk....not the "iron" debate!! Sorry, no irons...fire concerns.

Jill and I usually send out a few things after a week or so...I would rather pay a bit for cleaning than lug more clothes from home.

Irons aren't allowed or recommended.(fire danger) (oops, Danno posted before I did) Some bring handheld steamers, but most send their things out if they need pressing. It's not that expensive- better than land prices.

Of course, there's always the drycleaner bag trick- my tux, suits, and blazers always come out fine when I pack them individually in recycled dry cleaner bags in my rolling garment bag. The few wrinkles there are hang right out by the time I need them. Both the time to collect the drycleaner bags and the money spent on the rolling garment bag are wise investments.:)

Good luck.

Andrew

Blazerboy - that is one of the BEST things I ever learned on these boards. It really works.

I did a search and found this price list:

Laundry Services

Ladies..............Gentlemen

Dress $5.50.........Trousers $3.75

Skirt $2.75.........Shorts $2.50

Slacks $3.25........Sport Shirt $2.75

Blouse $3.25........Regular Shirt $2.75

Blazer $4.25........Formal Shirt $3.50

Sweater $2.75.......Under Shirt $1.00

Pajamas $3.25.......Under Shorts $1.00

Night Gown $3.25....T-Shirt $2.25

Slip $1.50..........Pajamas $3.50

Brassiere $1.50.....Handkerchief $0.75

Panties $1.00.......Sweater $2.75

Hosiery $1.00.......Socks $1.00

Handkerchief $0.75..Sweatshirt $2.50

Bathing Suit $1.75..Bathing Suit $1.75

Sports Shirt $2.75

Shorts $2.50

Socks $1.00

Sweatshirt $2.50

Dry-Cleaning + Pressing Services

Suit $7.00..........Suit $7.00

Dress $6.00.........Sport Jacket $5.50

Skirt $4.50.........Tuxedo Jacket $6.00

Blouse $3.75........Vest $3.50

Blazer $5.00........Shirt $3.50

Slacks $4.50........Trousers $4.00

Evening Gown $7.50..Tie $2.00

Silk Blouse $5.50...Sweater $3.50

Scarf $1.50

Pressing-Only Services

Suit $3.50..........Suit $3.50

Blazer $2.50........Sport Jacket $2.50

Slacks $2.25........Tuxedo Jacket $3.00

Skirt $2.50.........Trousers $2.25

Blouse $2.25........Sport Shirt $1.50

Shirt $1.75.........Regular Shirt $2.00

Dress $3.75.........Formal Shirt $2.50

Evening Gown $4.50..Vest $1.75

Silk Blouse $2.75

I will be sailing with Celebrity for the first time on the Infinity and was wondering if they have any launderette's or do I send my underwear to the dry cleaner?

Here is the link to Celebrity site with laundry, drycleaning and pressing prices and information. There are no irons or ironing boards on ship and pax are discouraged from bringing irons. You could bring a steamer though.

http://www.celebrity.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000AzjfppYlgYyx-dLN0_204Aa:1028etq20;jsessionid=0000G341xFYGwQjlw5QtpbcC58_:1028etni0?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=566&pagename=faq_answers

I always prefer to pack very light and wonder if I could pack even lighter by planning to send clothes to be washed mid week. I'm talking about things like socks, polo shirts, gym clothes, underwear. How does it come out? Do they wash and shrink? I don't mind the cost but i don't want my shirts shrunk up to nothing.

Never had an issue with laundry badly done- in fact it was better than at home! Exercise clothes are the one thing I always run out of, and they did fine with the all-cotton, with the lycra-cotton mix, and with other exercise clothing materials.

Andrew

That's good to know. I also run out of gym clothes and usually bring liquid detergent and rinse them in the sink. Of course it's hard to dry them in the shower so I hang them on the balcony when we're in port. Still not the same as having them washed and dried though.

We send our formal stuff to be pressed immediately when we board. We might also send a sport shirt or two. After that, we see if gracity has helped pull some of the wrinkles out of the shirts hanging in the closet.

We have found shipboard laundry, pressing and even dry cleaning prices to be as good as a local cleaner and certainly much less than what you pay in a hotel.

Schplinky,

I have a formal gown that I will need cleaned & pressed for the 2nd evening. I could have it cleaned at home, but it wrinkles fairly easily. When you send your stuff on embarkation day, can you get it back the next day? Of course, I expect to pay for express service. Thanks :)

You certainly can get it back the next day, and the express charges are sometimes applied at the discretion of your room steward (Thye've left it off the cleaning charges many times- I think I remember that suites got express service for the price of regular. There really is no same day service officially, but we've had that happen before when we gave things to the steward earlly in the morning. Just tell your steward when you need it back- allow time for dressing, etc., and he/she may not have to charge you the extra fee, but the key is to get it back at the right time, not how much it costs!:)

Good luck.

Andrew

I thought one only had to pay express service for same day service. Am I wrong?

No you're right.

I always send a lot of clothes to the laundry and for pressing onboard and I must say - they always do a fantastic job, even with the most difficult pieces!

Actually, I think the wording means 'one-day service' is expedited, and standard 'two day service' is regular, but that one day service is the next day, whereas two day service is the following day(if today is day one, you get it back on day three!) But again, my experience is that they are always faster than they say.

Andrew

Schplinky,

I have a formal gown that I will need cleaned & pressed for the 2nd evening. I could have it cleaned at home, but it wrinkles fairly easily. When you send your stuff on embarkation day, can you get it back the next day? Of course, I expect to pay for express service. Thanks :)

When on Mercury last year I had a long formal gown dry cleaned for $7.50 and got it back the next day. Today I went to the dry cleaners in my neighborhood and they charged me $15.00. I can't believe the difference in price.

Carolyn

Do they wash and shrink? I don't mind the cost but i don't want my shirts shrunk up to nothing.

I have that problem every cruise. They shrink even when they are not laundered; the longer the cruise, the more severe the problem.:D

Archived