Turn off Phone Data?

10XCruiser

Very tech challenged! We have internet package included in our Summit trip. Samsung 4 phone. Do I turn off data but turn on wifi to use my internet and not get charged with numerous app updates? I don't want a huge cellphone bill when I return due to ignorance!

Thanks for your help in advance.

definitely turn roaming off or you will have an unhappy surprise when you get home and see the bill. Just connect your phone to the ship wifi. Just make sure you log off each time you are done so you do not use up your minutes too quickly. Enjoy

Yes, it's in settings. I can't speak for Samsung, but on the Iphone you go to Settings> Cellular> Cellular data options. I'm sure your Samsung is very similar. Also, I found the person manning computer area to be very helpful when I purchased a few minutes my last cruise, he was more than willing to talk me thru the steps.

Very tech challenged! We have internet package included in our Summit trip. Samsung 4 phone. Do I turn off data but turn on wifi to use my internet and not get charged with numerous app updates? I don't want a huge cellphone bill when I return due to ignorance!

Thanks for your help in advance.

I had the computer tech person help me with that on my last cruise! Put it in airplane mode, turn off data and they figured out the rest so I could view my emails and nothing else. I had a problem getting into my email using the ships computer . Good luck[emoji3]

We are traveling internationally, beginning this weekend. I have been testing my iPhone and playing with the recommended settings to use with the Verizon Global Plan... 100 minutes, 100 texts and 100MB

What I don't understand:

If I turn OFF my Cellular Data, I am not able to send or receive text. :confused: Maybe phone and data, too! I haven't tested that.

So how can I use the plan with C-Data off?

And what about Voice Roaming...is that suppose to stay on?

We are traveling internationally, beginning this weekend. I have been testing my iPhone and playing with the recommended settings to use with the Verizon Global Plan... 100 minutes, 100 texts and 100MB

What I don't understand:

If I turn OFF my Cellular Data, I am not able to send or receive text. :confused: Maybe phone and data, too! I haven't tested that.

With C Data off. You can't send or receive texts with pictures or videos.

I had the computer tech person help me with that on my last cruise! Put it in airplane mode, turn off data and they figured out the rest so I could view my emails and nothing else.[emoji3]

Go to settings and turn airplane mode on and then also go into Data Usage and make sure that International Roaming is not on. I also go into Mobile Data and turn that off. Better safe than sorry. Then turn your wi-fi on after everything else has been turned off.

What I don't understand:

Also turn off iMessage and make sure you are sending texts to phone numbers, not email addresses (which iMessage also allows). Just tried it and that seems to work with the cellular data turned off (I'm on AT&T). Then when you are in port you can turn the data on as needed to look up something. On the ship at sea, you may receive text messages and be charged for them so you'd want to be in airplane mode then.

Edited by jaysonlf

With C Data off. You can't send or receive texts with pictures or videos.

Not sending regular text, either.

Jayson - How/where do I turn off iMessage? If I do that, how will I text?

Also, I thought this Verizon Global worked on cruiseships, too? That's what they claim.

For my iPad (that I foolishly bought as a deal through Verizon), that I do not want to use the data. How do I turn off iMessage? I would like to use iMessage as I did on my old iPad using the ships WiFi. :(

Edited by Iamthesea

Also, I thought this Verizon Global worked on cruiseships, too? That's what they claim.

For my iPad (that I foolishly bought as a deal through Verizon), that I do not want to use the data. How do I turn off iMessage? I would like to use iMessage as I did on my old iPad using the ships WiFi. :(

On my DW's Iphone and my Samsung . turning C-Data off still allows us to receive texts but not the pictures or videos.

I'd double-check that your plan includes cruise ships usage. In my experience with AT&T the international plans do not cover them and any text messages (or calls) on ship are billed.

If your plan is not covered, the previous recommendation to turn on airplane mode and enable wifi would allow you to use iMessage (the blue bubbles that requires the internet, either wifi or cellular). The green bubble text messaging would not work in airplane mode since it requires the phone network.

But if you are on ship wifi I wouldn't bother turning of iMessage (which can be done in Settings > Messages). Doing so was the only way I could reliably send a green bubble text message with cellular data off and not connected to wifi. I was also able to send a pic, but YMMV.

I'll add another variation into the mix.

I just called to make sure I understood correctly because like the OP I am technologically challenged.

I have the simplest a/k/a cheapest plan that T-Mobile offers. International data and texts are included with T-Mobile plans. You should not turn off roaming or put it in airplane mode with T-Mobile.

The only extra charges you could incur is if you placed/received phone call without using Wi-Fi. Calls that are placed without using Wi-Fi calling are 20 cents a minute.

chris

I'd double-check that your plan includes cruise ships usage. In my experience with AT&T the international plans do not cover them and any text messages (or calls) on ship are billed.

If your plan is not covered, the previous recommendation to turn on airplane mode and enable wifi would allow you to use iMessage (the blue bubbles that requires the internet, either wifi or cellular). The green bubble text messaging would not work in airplane mode since it requires the phone network.

Jayson brings up a good point: usage on the ship versus in port differs.

In my above-post about T-Mobile, I was speaking of when we are wandering around the ports. On the ship we want to disable roaming.

chris

on the iPhone i know there is a way to prevent apps from being updated when we turn roaming back on. anyone know how to do this? TIA.

Settings/iTunes and App Store/scroll down & turn off 'use mobile data'

I'm not sure why people are turning iMessage off. Surely the benefit of wifi is that you can send & receive iMessages. Is it in case the phone isn't logged onto wifi it will come through as a text & cost?

But if you are on ship wifi I wouldn't bother turning of iMessage (which can be done in Settings > Messages). Doing so was the only way I could reliably send a green bubble text message with cellular data off and not connected to wifi. I was also able to send a pic, but YMMV.

OK, I just did another test. Did as you said:

Turned ON Airplane Mode (this also disabled Cellular Data

Turned on WiFi

Sent myself a text and the bubble is GREEN. What am I missing? This method also sent a text to my computer email. :confused:

Normally, when texting on my phone, the bubbles are BLUE when texting with another iPhone user. My son has a Samsung and his text come in GREEN. My daughters iPhones have BLUE text.

Edited by Iamthesea