Cash vs coins, still confused

jojo412

After reading numerous posts, both old and new....

Can we use cash (paper money, bills) on busses and ferries? So a $5 bill or 5 singles? It seems like the regular posters here on the Bermuda boards are adamant that only COINS are allowed, but other people say coins only on busses, but paper bills are okay on ferries... and now a few recent reviews state that paper bills are okay every where.. one review comes to mind where she tried to pay with coins and the bus driver looked at her funny...and said of course they accept cash bills?

Someone please help clarify! And if it's only COINS, what's up with he recently reviews saying cash bills are being accepted??

Thank you!!

Edited by jojo412

I'm glad you asked - I'm confused too. All of the sites I've looked at from a Google search tell me that only coins, tokens, or passes are accepted, and if that's the case, that's fine. However, I'd hate to wait in a line to get change or buy tokens only to find that I could've just given them a 5 dollar bill....

After reading numerous posts, both old and new....

Can we use cash (paper money, bills) on busses and ferries? So a $5 bill or 5 singles? It seems like the regular posters here on the Bermuda boards are adamant that only COINS are allowed, but other people say coins only on busses, but paper bills are okay on ferries... and now a few recent reviews state that paper bills are okay every where.. one review comes to mind where she tried to pay with coins and the bus driver looked at her funny...and said of course they accept cash bills?

Someone please help clarify! And if it's only COINS, what's up with he recently reviews saying cash bills are being accepted??

Thank you!!

Coins for the buses. Not paper currency. If you only have bills the bus driver might take pity on you but they ar not supposed to take paper currency. They will look at you funny if you use coins because most use a token or pass. They have been taking paper currency on the ferries.

Edited by Charles4515

• 3 weeks later...
Coins for the buses. Not paper currency. If you only have bills the bus driver might take pity on you but they ar not supposed to take paper currency. They will look at you funny if you use coins because most use a token or pass. They have been taking paper currency on the ferries.

One more question.

What time do the Visitor Centers open up in the morning to begin selling the tokens?

At the Dockyard, 8:00 am.

I hope I won't confuse things even further, but is it correct that the Visitor Center at the Dockyard doesn't sell tickets and that only tokens can be purchased there? Thanks!

I hope I won't confuse things even further, but is it correct that the Visitor Center at the Dockyard doesn't sell tickets and that only tokens can be purchased there? Thanks!

They don't sell the ticket booklets at the Dockyard. They do sell the one and two day transportation passes in addition to tokens. The passes are good on both buses and ferries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They don't sell the ticket booklets at the Dockyard. They do sell the one and two day transportation passes in addition to tokens. The passes are good on both buses and ferries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great - thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand about the tokens. How far can you go with them? I want to go from the Dockyard to the Lighthouse, to the beach, then back to the dockyard. I don't want to carry around $30 or more dollars in quarters to use the bus. How much are the tokens? I can't find that info and it did not say they were sold at the dockyard - I am so confused! They need to make this easier for the cruise ship tourists.

I don't understand about the tokens. How far can you go with them? I want to go from the Dockyard to the Lighthouse, to the beach, then back to the dockyard. I don't want to carry around $30 or more dollars in quarters to use the bus. How much are the tokens? I can't find that info and it did not say they were sold at the dockyard - I am so confused! They need to make this easier for the cruise ship tourists.

It's very easy. A token costs $4.50 and is good for one bus ride. Yes, you can buy tokens at the Dockyard. For the trip you're talking about you'll need three tokens per person, one for the ride from Dockyard to the lighthouse, one for the trip from the lighthouse to the beach and one for the return from the beach to the Dockyard. (I'm assuming you're referring to the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and one of the South Shore beaches such as Horseshoe Bay.)