Thank You Viking Cruises

Senior Gators

My wife and I have just returned from our Barcelona to Bergen inaugural cruise on the Viking Sea. It was wonderful, carefree and almost completely perfect. The Sea is, if possible, even better than her sister ship, Viking Star. We sailed on the Star last October and saw none of the initial problems that were documented on Cruise Critic and other places. Obviously Viking management was listening and made appropriate adjustments and changes where necessary.

That is not to say that any human endeavor, especially something as complicated as starting a new ocean cruise line, designing new ships, making thousands of decisions about what, where, when and how to make a high class cruise lines is not going to have a few glitches along the way. Weather was certainly not one of them. We had perfect weather (bright sunshine, clear weather and not a drop of rain) for the entire cruise. In port after port, the locals were telling us how lucky we were to be visiting there when we did because it was the best weather they have had since last fall.

We joined the Sea only 23 days into her maiden voyage and found nothing to complain about and want to give our praises for our 15 days of experiences. The highlight of which was the trip up the Thames for the ship's Christening at Greenwich, May 5th. London greeted the ship with great fanfare and a traditional maritime salute as sailors manned the rigging of the Cutty Sark nearby, waving to us as we anchored at the Greenwich Tier.

Viking did a very classy thing and presented each passenger with gifts of books, CDs, special Viking pins and umbrellas commemorating the event. Then they topped themselves by making all excursions for the 2 days we were in London complimentary. Passengers were able to participate in the Christening ceremonies and they were memorable. I feel certain that Viking had learned a lot after the hurt feelings and disappointments of the passengers last year in Bergen when the Viking Star was Christened.

The crew aboard the Sea were/are outstanding. We renewed acquaintances with some that we had met and talked with six months before while on the Viking Star. They were pleased we remembered them and we were astounded that they remembered us given the number of passengers that they have seen since we last were with them.

Finally, Viking went over and beyond good service when they voluntarily provided partial refunds on two optional excursions. The amounts were fair and proportional to what wasn't delivered. On our excursion to Paris there was a delay due to a traffic accident on the long drive to the city and we were unable to visit the Louvre, only drive through the courtyard. However there was more than enough to see and do to make it all worth while. My wife will never forget celebrating her birthday at the 1st stage restaurant on the Eiffel Tower while the waitstaff and fellow tour participants sang Happy Birthday to her.

Another partial refund showed up on our final bill that was totally unexpected. On an early optional excursion we had a guide that wasn't the best and many of us who were on the tour were commenting among ourselves on the quality of the program. We agreed that we needed to let Viking know through our review sheets but only in a way that was constructive. Obviously the Excursions Desk staff read them and made adjustments accordingly.

Once again, Thank You Viking. You out did yourselves. You have a great product and we appreciate it. We are sailing with Viking in the fall on a river cruise and booked another river cruise for Spring 2017 while on board the Sea. We are looking for more Viking Cruises adventures in the future.

It makes me smile to read a post like yours! We were on the Star at the beginning of the year and gad a lovely time. I'm happy that you too enjoyed your cruise and appreciated the effort that Viking puts forth to ensure that their guests have a great cruise experience.

Thank you for that commentary. You were so lucky to be there for the christening.

Looking forward to boarding the Viking Sea on July 3!

Cassie Cruiser,

We felt very lucky since Viking didn't post what their plans were for London until we were about a month out from our cruise. Originally, the Viking Sea's port call for the UK was to be at Southampton and no excursions were listed. We expected that the offering would be the typical "London On Your Own" for 8 or 9 hours including a coach ride from Southampton to the city and stop at the London Eye. We were tentatively planning to catch a HOHO bus and see as much of the highlights of London that we could in the 4 or 5 hours available.

What we didn't know was that Viking was putting together a much more elaborate plan to include a mid-day arrival on May 5th, several complimentary excursions, and have the Christening ceremony that night. The next morning there were additional excursions available to tour London before sailing away after lunch. We greatly enjoyed our evening excursion to the London Eye at twilight by sailing 4 or 5 miles up the Thames from our anchorage at Greenwich to the Eye across from Big Ben and Parliament. It was magical to view London from the Eye as the lights came on all over the city as night fell during our 30 minute ride. We arrived back at the Sea in time to view the ceremony and see the wonderful fireworks display. The concert by the main pool area afterwards was shown all over the ship and we viewed it in our cabin on the ship's tv channel.

That is not to say that other port calls weren't memorable in their own right. We especially enjoyed visiting Montserrat Abbey outside of Barcelona, port calls in Lisbon and Porto Portugal and of course Paris. But one that my wife made sure we did was visiting Normandy, Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery there. I am something of a WW II enthusiast, but my wife was as touched as I was about those places and the sacrifices all the American and Allied solders, sailors and airmen made for their country on that hallowed ground. It was very moving and inspirational.

Once again, well done Viking and Thank You.

Senior Gators,

Your review was spot on! You and I didn't know it but we were sitting next to fellow Cruise Critic members during lunch at the Eiffel Tower. We were the mother and daughter and joined in the singing of happy birthday to your wife. We also got a second refund for an excursion when we received our bill. We were also in the same capsule with you at the London Eye. I didn't know you were CC people as I didn't see you at the Meet and Greet. Happy Travels in your future cruises. Carol

Senior Gators,

Your review was spot on! You and I didn't know it but we were sitting next to fellow Cruise Critic members during lunch at the Eiffel Tower. We were the mother and daughter and joined in the singing of happy birthday to your wife. We also got a second refund for an excursion when we received our bill. We were also in the same capsule with you at the London Eye. I didn't know you were CC people as I didn't see you at the Meet and Greet. Happy Travels in your future cruises. Carol

Carol, my wife and I remember you and your mother well and find it amusing that we are fellow Cruise Critic participants and didn't know it at the time. We were at the CC meet and greet in the Explorer Lounge but were rather low key and sitting quietly in a corner for most of the time there. Unfortunately, no one thought to have us introduce ourselves to the group or provide name tags with our CC and actual names. It would have made for a more lively gathering. We hope you enjoyed your cruise as much as we did.

Richard and Margie