White Pass Train vs. Car

sassycruiser

Hello,

I am interested in hearing from people who may have done both. We are currently booked to do the White Pass via train which is $419.90 for two people. I am back and forth about doing that vs. renting a car which is $184.00 plus gas.

We are doing a Princess cruisetour pre cruise and have a long train to port and am just not sure we want to do another long train/bus day.

Thanks for any feedback!

The train gives you both views as you also take the bus one on the highway. The views from the train side were better. One advantage to the car is you can stop along the way for views and pictures. Not many place to do that but at least it is your option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only issue I have with driving is that someone is not going to enjoy the scenery as much as the passenger(s). I suppose the other matter, which is something that I enjoy, is the history of the WPYR and the fact that it is a narrow gauge railway.

The only issue I have with driving is that someone is not going to enjoy the scenery as much as the passenger(s).

I don't find this to be the case. I've done the drive, both as the passenger and the driver, and I enjoyed both. In fact, I think I may have enjoyed driving more. It gave me the control to pull over when I wanted to, but my husband is better at spotting wildlife at a distance when he's the passenger.

I've also done the train - round trip, Yukon bus/rail with dog cart, and Lake Bennett. They are all great in their own way. We've seen bears on both driving trips, but never on the train trips. I do love the train too, especially the Lake Bennett trip, for the history and scenery.

I don't find this to be the case. I've done the drive, both as the passenger and the driver, and I enjoyed both. In fact, I think I may have enjoyed driving more..

Well I suppose we could debate the safety aspect of driving and watching the scenery at the same time. I do know that if a person has an accident under those circumstances they could be charged with driving without due care and attention or worse. That aside I do know when I drive I can't be enjoying the scenery as much as I do when I am a passenger in a car.