Live/Semi-Live review Explorer of the Seas May 20, 2016

Wonderful review with pics....loved your eagle shots...did u see much wildlife

from the ship or on shore?

BTW didn't read the last couple of pages so if I missed photos or ? answered my apologies.

L:)ri

Thanks. I saw whales while running in the gym. Other than that I wasn't really looking. Sorry.

Hi there! My husband and I are sailing on July 8th and it will be our first cruise. We are currently assigned to 5:30 dining time and trying to decide whether we want to switch to anytime dining. I'm worried anytime dining will mean long lines whenever we want to eat. What was your experience with that on the Explorer?

Thanks!

not a fan of mytime dining -- eating at times other than the early or late standard dining times causes conflicts with the entertainment schedule. that whole schedule is based on you eating at either 5:30 or 8:00

Hi there! My husband and I are sailing on July 8th and it will be our first cruise. We are currently assigned to 5:30 dining time and trying to decide whether we want to switch to anytime dining. I'm worried anytime dining will mean long lines whenever we want to eat. What was your experience with that on the Explorer?

Thanks!

We board tomorrow and the concierge made us a standard reservation each night at 6:30, for two at the same table by a window. Either email the ship or when you get on board go to the MTD room and make a standard reservation for each night. We like a table for two next to the window to whale watch, and was told that all the tables for two in the main dinning room are not near the windows.

We board tomorrow and the concierge made us a standard reservation each night at 6:30, for two at the same table by a window. Either email the ship or when you get on board go to the MTD room and make a standard reservation for each night. We like a table for two next to the window to whale watch, and was told that all the tables for two in the main dinning room are not near the windows.

How do you email the ship? Going May 26 2017 and just trying to figure things out!

how will you see any of the shows with a dining reservation at that time??

Hi, we just got off the ship. I usually prefer early dining, but the 5:30 this time really didn't work as well in Alaska as it does in the Caribbean. The ice show was at 2 or 4, so dining time didn't make any difference for that. Late night stuff like comedians and quest are at 10:15 or 10:30, so that didn't matter either. There may have been a couple of productions shows, but we didn't bother with those. I really think MTD has changed the way they schedule the entertainment. Mostly we found 5:30 to interfere with port days, because you're in port until 8 or so, sometimes you can't get off the boat until after noon. Next time I think I'll go for later dining. With so many people dining at 5:30, we never got out of there before 7:30. The sun was up up until after 10 anyway, so we stayed up later than usual and had to go looking for sandwiches before bed.

Hi, we just got off the ship. I usually prefer early dining, but the 5:30 this time really didn't work as well in Alaska as it does in the Caribbean. The ice show was at 2 or 4, so dining time didn't make any difference for that. Late night stuff like comedians and quest are at 10:15 or 10:30, so that didn't matter either. There may have been a couple of productions shows, but we didn't bother with those. I really think MTD has changed the way they schedule the entertainment. Mostly we found 5:30 to interfere with port days, because you're in port until 8 or so, sometimes you can't get off the boat until after noon. Next time I think I'll go for later dining. With so many people dining at 5:30, we never got out of there before 7:30. The sun was up up until after 10 anyway, so we stayed up later than usual and had to go looking for sandwiches before bed.

Cougarish - how did you like the ship & itinerary? We intentionally booked this ship for the activities and food but I have not heard positive reviews on either since it set sail for Alaska. I'll be boarding in 60ish days and following this thread and reviews closely and would appreciate any insights you are willing to share to make the cruise more enjoyable. Thank you!

we always go for the late dinner! especially when we say the port schedule for this trip -- do not want to miss one minute in port in alaska! we are also night owls. we will close the bars every night. (but still be in the gym early the next day). Cannot wait!!!

socal -- what did you hear?? i have been following all the reviews on here and also on the various facebook pages and everyone gave great reviews. i have not heard one bad review (maybe a couple small things that could use improvement, but nothing of any major importance). everyone i heard from had an amazing time

Did yall have fun? :D I'm still adjusting to the time change. LOL.

socal -- what did you hear?? i have been following all the reviews on here and also on the various facebook pages and everyone gave great reviews. i have not heard one bad review (maybe a couple small things that could use improvement, but nothing of any major importance). everyone i heard from had an amazing time

I must be reading the wrong boards. Admittedly, Kinny's review has been keeping the hope alive for me but check out hoopster's thread...he mentioned how he thinks the Explorer will be a flop in Alaska and the latest review from berlybob http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=186

Do you mind sharing which sites you have been following? I wasn't aware of the one on Facebook.

Cougarish - how did you like the ship & itinerary? We intentionally booked this ship for the activities and food but I have not heard positive reviews on either since it set sail for Alaska. I'll be boarding in 60ish days and following this thread and reviews closely and would appreciate any insights you are willing to share to make the cruise more enjoyable. Thank you!

I have been reading negative reviews too about horrible service and food. I'm trying to keep an open mind and stay positive and remember that it is all about what you make it. I've cruised Royal once and Carnival twice and Royal always gets my top ratings but my fingers are crossed that it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

that is just what he thinks -- he has not done the cruise to alaska on the explorer. i will more trust the people who have actually taken the cruise

I 100% agree!:p

I too am waiting to hear about all the great views of the inside passage, whales and glaciers cruisers get to see from the Promenade, Star Lounge and StudioB... as well as all the extra space and comfort in driving rain when all 3000 cruisers are in those main windowless interior venues :p;)...

All in jest...seriously, I'd like to hear first hand accounts from those on these Alaska sailings where weather is not good if it works out or not... hope they all enjoy the fully exposed "Solarium" !!!:eek::D I suspect the Viking Crown could be standing room a good portion of the day in inclement weather just in order to be able to see anything... same with cruisers "hogging" Windjammer seating for hours with the awesome aft views. I foresee more issues but will love to read reviews this summer. Hope I'm wrong with my thoughts.

The cruise is really what you make of it. I think Explorer of the Seas is a great ship. Food is subjective, and I think service is good for what it is. The ship itself is also a destination. After all, being on the ship for a week going to places is always better than being at the office. :D

I have heard at least 20 amazing reviews and not one negative. I personally cannot wait!!
The cruise is really what you make of it. I think Explorer of the Seas is a great ship. Food is subjective, and I think service is good for what it is. The ship itself is also a destination. After all, being on the ship for a week going to places is always better than being at the office. :D

Great attitudes by both of you, pretty much setting the stage that you will have excellent cruises! :D

I agree with Kinny on this. It is as enjoyable as you will allow it to be. I had a breakfast with a lady in the MDR who complained about the food, but she had never eaten outside of the buffet until then and her MDR complaint was that they were giving her too large a bowl of something she ordered and toppings she didn't want. I thought the food was a little better than the last couple of cruises I have taken. The truth is that you can only do so much with a buffet as far as keeping things fresh and tasty, so it is what it is. We wandered up there for lunch a couple of times and i found a few new things I've never had before, so you have to be open minded. The only complaint I had about MDR dinner was the night they ran out of grand mariner chocolate soufflé, which I love and which hasn't even appeared on my last couple of cruises. Unlike Kinny's cruise, where there wasn't enough for seconds, they were trying to bring me extra lobster. The really fine dining is in the specialty restaurants for a reasonable fee. I think that's fair. It helps keep the cost of the cruise down for people who only want buffet.

I will also say this...the people who usually complain the loudest about service are borderline rude to the staff and tipping the bare minimum they are forced to. I witnessed some of that this week. I had excellent service and found the staff to be extremely helpful.

I had a balcony. I spent more time on my balcony on this cruise than maybe any other. Explorer has the older enclosed style of balcony and at first I thought it was going to be horrible, but it turned out be great, offering protection from wind and rain. It was better than the aft balcony I had on Radiance the last time I went, which was unusable in the rain.

(Phone going dead, I have more to say, so I'll be back later!)

Cougar -- one thing I was disappointed about in Kinny's posts was the menus in the MDR did not once have the Royal Shrimp Cocktail --- which is usually available almost every night on most cruises. do you remember if they had it last week?? Thanks

And I agree, a cruise is what you make of it. You will always know me and my friends -- we are the group everyone wants to be part of because we are having so much fun.

Wonderful trip. Of course there were some minor hiccups, but nothing that would ruin the trip.

I didn't order the lobster, personally not my favorite and there was something on the menu that I liked better. Our waiter did say something about them (maybe shortage) when he was taking orders, but he did bring more to those who did order. No shrimp cocktail, but there was several shrimp dishes during the week. I expect if someone had requested shrimp cocktail, it would have been delivered.

I'm not a picky eater, so I pretty much liked everything in the dining room and Windjammer. I was also glad the bread wasn't hard as a rock this time and the butter wasn't frozen. I've always wondered "what are they thinking", bread cold and hard as a rock and then having cold/frozen butter on the table to serve on that bread.

The only thing on the menu that made me do a double take, was the fish dish on the last night. I was looking forward to that, I think it's usually called something like "surf & turf", but this time it was 2 fish filets laying on top of a mound of mashed potatoes. Oh, but those fish filets looked & tasted just like the Gordon's Fish Filets I buy in the grocery store, frozen food section...not what I would have expected on a cruise. That's what I have when I'm in a hurry.

Kenny, your pictures are wonderful. You have several that I missed taking and yours are such better quality. Do you share for those of us or is there a way I can print copies of some of yours for my scrapbook? I really need the one from Meet & Mingle.

Did anyone take any of the Whale watching excursions? I'd like to hear about them and see pictures.

Hi Kinny,

I really enjoyed reading your review of the Explorer of the Seas Alaska cruise. From what I read it sounds like nice jeans are okay in the dining room on casual nights?

I also want to know if the men need a sport coat on formal nights or if they can wear dress pants, button up shirt and a tie. We also have teenage boys in the group who don't want to bring a sports coat.

Any advice on the dress is appreciated.

Thanks so much!