Questionw Question Questions

cjonesatsource

Norwegian Jewel Nov/Dec 2005

Me again :-)

I am still trying to get myself sorted with tours and the like and with this being my first cruise everything is a little daunting..

In Roatan I like the idea of the canopy tour as we wont have time to do it in jamaica but i was going to book it through the ship but at 109 USD thats rather alot so i liked someone idea of hiring scooters and finding the zip slides ourselves ? Any advice ?

Grand Cayman we are interedted in going to stingray sandbar and seeing them - do i use sotoscruises or ncl excursion or someone else ? Also James was interedted in the seaworld and explorer semi sub tour if anyone has advice on this ?

Jamaica - definately tubing, duinns river falls but james is also interested in the dolphin swim experience. Again Im not sure whether to book through the ship or through Peat Taylor or Phil Lafayette ? Again any comments welcomed.

Finally does the ship charge for changing up travellers cheques ?

And where do i buy rubber shoes to climb the falls

and ..... do i have to buy and take my own snorkel gear or can i hire on ship and take with me on my scooter for ptivate island touring ??

Many Thanks in advance

Christine

• 2 weeks later...

I can help you with Grand Cayman:

We walked around the pier shops awaiting our privately arranged Sting Ray City / Coral Gardens tour with Native Way at noon. There were 13 folks on our tour. All from the Galaxy. We boarded a small van which took us to a boat awaiting us at the Yacht Club. After some confusion, we were relocated to a larger boat that could hold 50 passengers. We gleefully departed the dock without adding any additional passengers. It took about 20 minutes to motor out to the Coral Gardens reef where we donned mask, snorkel, fins and optional snorkel vests (which made my wife very happy). The snorkel vests provide buoyancy and can be inflated to a level that is comfortable for you. There were no lack of pretty fish here. We then motored 5 minutes out to Sting Ray City, a sandbar in the ocean where the water is only 4-feet deep. Even though the place was crowded, we had a great time. Stingrays with 2-to-4 foot wingspans were in abundance and very tame. Boat captains were catching them and passing them around for everyone to view and hold. Plenty of squid was available for feeding. We were happy to have been on a private tour ($25 each, plus tip). Some double-decker boats were absolutely jam-packed with passengers. Squeals pierced the air every time a stingray glided a wing against someone's leg. We spent about 1.5 hours between the two locations. Plenty of time. It was a very memorable and fun experience. Highly recommended! Upon our return we were driven back into town where we spent some more time shopping and then got in line to board the tenders and headed back to the ship.

Complete cruise details...

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/westerncaribbean.html

Archived