Newcastle port parking

Having seen the other thread on Newcastle decided to start a dedicated to parking one.

Looks like the port is going to be £10 a day again, quite substantial for two weeks.

A cheaper alternative is available which i used to use before.

Im presuming Thoms will still have the shuttle bus from central station to the port.

I used to park out at Callerton (airport) parking, very easy to get to, just off the A1, cost for two weeks (booked through such as parkandgo/purple parking who you can usually find a discount code for 12-15% off) approx £55, just across the road from the car park is Callerton metro station, train every 10 mins, you need a 2 zone ticket (£2.60 pp) to get you to central station, Thoms bus is just opposite the station entrance, if its not leaving for a while you can shove your cases on and there is a good little bar nearby,a bonus is at the port you miss out on what can be lengthy queues to drop your bags and get parked.

Certainly a decent saving on a two week job but if like me you are west of Newcastle the hassle it saves driving across Newcastle (why oh why did they never extend the dual carriageway across to the A1) and queing to park makes the £30 saving on a seven day cruise worthwhile.

Another possibility is to take the metro through to North Shields (3 zone £3.30 pp) and get a taxi for the short trip to the port (supposed to be a taxi rank at Shields metro station)

If anyone wants more info just ask.

Having seen the other thread on Newcastle decided to start a dedicated to parking one.

Looks like the port is going to be £10 a day again, quite substantial for two weeks.

A cheaper alternative is available which i used to use before.

Im presuming Thoms will still have the shuttle bus from central station to the port.

I used to park out at Callerton (airport) parking, very easy to get to, just off the A1, cost for two weeks (booked through such as parkandgo/purple parking who you can usually find a discount code for 12-15% off) approx £55, just across the road from the car park is Callerton metro station, train every 10 mins, you need a 2 zone ticket (£2.60 pp) to get you to central station, Thoms bus is just opposite the station entrance, if its not leaving for a while you can shove your cases on and there is a good little bar nearby,a bonus is at the port you miss out on what can be lengthy queues to drop your bags and get parked.

Certainly a decent saving on a two week job but if like me you are west of Newcastle the hassle it saves driving across Newcastle (why oh why did they never extend the dual carriageway across to the A1) and queing to park makes the £30 saving on a seven day cruise worthwhile.

Another possibility is to take the metro through to North Shields (3 zone £3.30 pp) and get a taxi for the short trip to the port (supposed to be a taxi rank at Shields metro station)

If anyone wants more info just ask.

We got given free car parking when we booked our ex-Newcastle cruise from a Thomson TA; always worth asking for when you book. I didn't even ask - she just offered it to me as an incentive to book with her!

Yes £140 is a bit steep - but I certainly don't want to mess about with tram/taxi/shuttle when I can drive virtually to the embarkation point, £140 is nothing compared with the overall cost of the cruise, and its a holiday at the end of the day - it was completely hassle free the last time we used the Newcastle Cruise Terminal.