Boarding arrival times

glennbtn

This is exactly the issue. I can't agree with people who say that's it's the fault of Southampton or the methods of transport that passengers have travelled on. Other cruise lines just do it better - in the same place with similar passenger mix (and with bigger ships). They seem to invest in more check-in staff and definitely have better technology.

Our last p&o cruise left on a Monday and we were the only ship sizeable ship in port. Embarkation was still tedious and chaotic.

It's not enough to ruin a cruise but it did leave me harassed on the first day. Not the best start to a holiday.......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thats how we felt, it was a very good cruise but embarkation day was a shambles and once on board a stressful rush. We were on a ship we had not been on before (Britannia) and would have welcomed some time have a look around - we went to muster having seen nothing but a lift and the cabin and of course no time to eat anything. Like some others on here we like a relaxing afternoon to have lunch and look around.

As you say it doesn't spoil the cruise and it won't make us leave P&O but it will make look at other options before booking P&O from Southampton again, especially as we always cruise with another couple who are not Caribbean grade. We now have to board at their allocated time as we travel in one car. In the past they have always boarded early with us and they were equally disappointed with the embarkation experience.

I know to others on here the embarkation time is unimportant but to us it is.

So what do you all think P&O could do improve on the embarkation process?

1. store credit card details so when repeat customers embark they are in the system.

2. store photos on the system for say cruises under a year (we don't change that much).

3. We print the e-tickets off at home, but they seem to be only used when you first arrive.

5. the health check card could be given to a separate desk as often we forget to tick a particular box.

6. there was 5 of us on our last cruise in 3 different cabins with the same credit card being used for all and all details had to be entered 3 times, surely there is a system can link these together.

I personally think P&O had to do something about embarkation. I am not bothered with a scram to get to the buffet, get something to eat and then walk around waiting for a table while your food gets cold, but I do like to go to the cabin and get unpacked before the muster drill if possible, then relax and enjoy the cruise.

1. store credit card details so when repeat customers embark they are in the system.

2. store photos on the system for say cruises under a year (we don't change that much).

3. We print the e-tickets off at home, but they seem to be only used when you first arrive.

5. the health check card could be given to a separate desk as often we forget to tick a particular box.

6. there was 5 of us on our last cruise in 3 different cabins with the same credit card being used for all and all details had to be entered 3 times, surely there is a system can link these together.

I personally think P&O had to do something about embarkation. I am not bothered with a scram to get to the buffet, get something to eat and then walk around waiting for a table while your food gets cold, but I do like to go to the cabin and get unpacked before the muster drill if possible, then relax and enjoy the cruise.

Royal Caribbean now enables you (for some ships) to upload your picture and credit card info before you go. You print a boarding pass which is scanned by roaming staff using iPads in the terminal. They ask you health questions which they tick off electronically. I had printed my pass off incorrectly (landscape not portrait) and the lady just went and printed it off for me. It took less than 5 mins to do it all. Others who didn't need printing were even quicker. You use your pass to board the ship and make any purchases until your room is ready. Your cruise cards are preprinted and waiting outside your room.

It obviously required an investment in the technology but it was so easy and quick. Head and shoulder above p&o.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All of the information could be provided online. Not to turn this into an RCI thread, but my parents were on a 3 night taster cruise on Harmony of the Seas(second sailing). They turned up at 11:15 and were onboard by 11:30. Despite having booked a 12:30 embarkation slot(traffic was much lighter than anticipated). Check in was completed online with picture and card details provided in advance. Cabins were ready at 12:30. N

P&O Could introduce an online check in system to reduce the amount of time it takes at the terminal.

Edited by chris11256

One of the reasons given for the new procedure was to have the cabins ready for us on boarding so we could go straight to our cabins. This was allegedly according to feedback received from us all. No one on the forums admits to having knowingly asked for this, but as we have discussed previously, the wording on the questionnaires can be really ambiguous and who knows what interpretation has been put on some answers. Or what question we thought we were answering!

So it would seem that the order of boarding is to do with cabin preparation rather than the check in procedure itself. As the cabin stewards are responsible for an increased number of cabins than previously, it is hard to see how much faster they can be expected to work. I can't see that part of it being resolved for as long as they work to having the cabins ready for us as soon as we arrive.

Edited by Scriv

One of the reasons given for the new procedure was to have the cabins ready for us on boarding so we could go straight to our cabins. This was allegedly according to feedback received from us all. No one on the forums admits to having knowingly asked for this, but as we have discussed previously, the wording on the questionnaires can be really ambiguous and who knows what interpretation has been put on some answers. Or what question we thought we were answering!

So it would seem that the order of boarding is to do with cabin preparation rather than the check in procedure itself. As the cabin stewards are responsible for an increased number of cabins than previously, it is hard to see how much faster they can be expected to work. I can't see that part of it being resolved for as long as they work to having the cabins ready for us as soon as we arrive.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Scriv. If they asked 'Would you like your cabin to be ready on embarkation?' I guess most of us would say 'Yes'. But had they asked if you were prepared to wait on board until you can gain access to your cabin if that meant you could embark earlier - the responses may well have been 'Yes' to that too. It perhaps didn't come through as an either/or choice. As you say, it's all in the wording and perhaps if the implications were clearly outlined we could make better informed decisions when responding to questionnaires.

Edited by kruzseeka

kruzseeka, yes, I am convinced those questionnaires give wrong feedback and if major decisions like this are made on the basis of them, they have got to be asking the right questions in a proper unambiguous way.

Edited by Scriv

I can't help but think the more I read this thread that those who complain the most are the ones who want to first on, no matter what time they have been given. This was in the old system. More and more people ignored the time given and turned up when they wanted i.e. early. They were encouraged in this by people on here and other forums. Thus it was packed at 12. Others were saying do not do this as it will result the company enforcing the times. People talk of chaos at checkin now. Well that is caused by people turning up early for their embarkation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know Dai but with respect you are always going to have an early embarkation so are not caught up in the sort of chaos that happens between 1500-1600.

From what I have read on all forums the busy time is still 12 to 13.30 with people throwing to beat the system. People who arrive later at the correct time usually report getting straight on. There have been one or two exceptions including a windy day causing embarkation delays. This type of problem would cause delay whatever the system of embarkation.

I didn't try and check in really early. Given 3pm checkin. Chaos in terminal. Got on Aurora at 4pm. No staff on entering Aurora except photographer. Really not a customer friendly welcome on a first cruise. If I'd not been someone to google lots of info beforehand, I'd have been lost :(

If some long termer's believe that's an improvement then help!

Under the old system the muster drill always seemed to start on time, suggesting all were aboard. With the new system it's always late, so much so that I don't bother going immediately because it's no fun standing for 20 minutes waiting for people who still haven't boarded.

I think the problem is the monster ships so will stick to the medium sized ones in future.

I am now Caribbean so will get a reasonable rather than unreasonable time until P and O revamp the rewards system and take that away!

I understand the reasoning behind your comments, but if you think about it the staggered times probably bare little relationship to the timing of cabin preparation.

The assigned cabin steward also prepares the cabins on turn round day, I have never known them participate in the preparation of other stewards cabins.

So logically they should all be ready around the same time, as is the case on Celebrity & RCI.

There are differences in the time of luggage arrival as these are sent up in the elevators by deck order as per the containers, but even here it is haphazard as the containers seem to be loaded in no particular order.

Which begs the question, where did P&O get the idea this is what passengers want, and even if it were, they know its impossible to achieve. Ergo, it can only be to spread out the arrival times because P&O management are not quite as bright as Celebrity or RCI in organising a customer friendly embarkation.

From what I have read on all forums the busy time is still 12 to 13.30 with people throwing to beat the system. People who arrive later at the correct time usually report getting straight on. There have been one or two exceptions including a windy day causing embarkation delays. This type of problem would cause delay whatever the system of embarkation.

Well Dai, we had 3:30 and did not get on until 4. At 3 when we arrived the terminal was heaving with people with no chance of getting everyone on in time. This was not a case of people coming early to beat the system, the schedule was just slipping out due to the amount of people to board.

Yes, John, put like that, I do see your argument re the preparation of cabins... just looking for logical explanations and reasons for the order.

Be-ess, I have had times of 2 30pm and 3pm and on both occasions have been fast tracked through when arriving about 15 mins before. Maybe 15 mins is the magic key?

Edited by Scriv

Well Dai, we had 3:30 and did not get on until 4. At 3 when we arrived the terminal was heaving with people with no chance of getting everyone on in time. This was not a case of people coming early to beat the system, the schedule was just slipping out due to the amount of people to board.

Was that one of the sailings where there was a problem?

I can't help but think the more I read this thread that those who complain the most are the ones who want to first on, no matter what time they have been given. This was in the old system. More and more people ignored the time given and turned up when they wanted i.e. early. They were encouraged in this by people on here and other forums. Thus it was packed at 12. Others were saying do not do this as it will result the company enforcing the times. People talk of chaos at checkin now. Well that is caused by people turning up early for their embarkation.

This is exactly what I was just about to write after reading though all the replies. It's our first cruise with Pando, we are used with the earlier boarding with celebrity and it's always been really quick. However, we will arrive at our given time and hope if everyone else does then it will be a smooth checkin or it might be our last with them as well.

On Costa, also a Carnival company, you are not asked for credit card details when you arrive, but swipe and sign at one of the many terminals they have on board at any time during the cruise. Presumably if you don't you don't get your luggage back...

Photos are taken as you are queuing to go through security using a hand held device after scanning your ticket. All the details are linked up on the system later.

No cruise cards for the check in staff to print, as they are already waiting in your cabin.

Health check cards handed out to fill in on the coach from the airport, so all the staff needed to do was look at to see you had not ticked any boxes where further questions were needed.

Coach to cabin in five minutes.

So a really efficient and swift embarkation, but before others leap in, other aspects of their operation are not so good (the entertainment...).

Was that one of the sailings where there was a problem?

I don't know Dai, it was early May. There are others on this thread saying the same thing as me, it seems that the later board times are affected.

Yes, John, put like that, I do see your argument re the preparation of cabins... just looking for logical explanations and reasons for the order.

Be-ess, I have had times of 2 30pm and 3pm and on both occasions have been fast tracked through when arriving about 15 mins before. Maybe 15 mins is the magic key?

I can't see how arriving 15 mins later would have helped me, I'd have had an even later ticket and the place was heaving when we arrived. We did not get on until 4 and we were nowhere near the last. As I said in a previous post the ship was nearly full, but that should not be an excuse for this shambles, they know how many to expect. I think passengers were coming into the lounge quicker than they were being cleared out of the lounge. It is not only me other posts on this thread are saying the same thing.

Edited by bee-ess

In my experience, people who arrive about 15 mins before always seem to be given the Fast Track card and sent down the Fast Track Lane straight to the check in desks regardless of who else was waiting. They actually say they give priority to those arriving at their allotted times and they have always done so with us.

Edited by Scriv

Yes I think I agree with that. Our last cruise on P&O, we had 2.30 checkin and were on board by 1250. So no complaints at all. We don't cruise on anything bigger than Oriana, so I would expect it to go like clockwork. Having said that, just sailed with Fred o out of Southampton and it was a shambles.

I cannot improve on this sentiment, Dai, except to suggest you count the posters who have made complaints, instead of exaggerating the numbers in your favour, as usual.:)

Even if you get 100 complainers (which there defo isn't in this thread) on a boat the size of Britannia or even the smallest in the p&o fleet, seems to me the MAJORITY don't have a problem with the embarkation process. The percentage must be tiny.

Yet again it's the minority who want to shout the loudest and stamp there feet. How can people claim to be offended when you have expressed your opinion so others are entitled to express there's.

P&o if you do read these please can I come and work for your customer service team one shift, it would be the best days work I've done as I bet it's full of calls and emails like this.

We (British) find it easy to pick the negatives at many things, but rarely praise the positives, well I will repeat well done p&o, keep up the good work and I will certainly be booking many more future cruises with use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by GolferT