Wine Lovers the Musical - Escape

Victorious8

Has anyone seen this recently on the Escape? I am thinking of booking it for my solo trip in August. Anyone have any info on the menu? I couldn't find anything recently posted so sorry if this has been asked.

I am not going to it to sample fine wines, I grew up near enough to wine country but am in my 20's so I enjoy cheap stuff as well. Just looking for something mildly entertaining for a At Sea lunch.

I knew I had written about this before, so I searched. Here is the excerpt from my review. I was on the 3/26/16 sailing:

There were six wines.... a Estancia Pinot Grigio, a Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, a Chardonnay (sorry, can't remember the vineyard), Beringer Founder's Pinot Noir, Norwegian's proprietary North and South red blend, and a Prosecco (also cannot remember where it was from, sorry).

The pours were fairly random and varied from seat to seat, it was almost as if a waiter went around with a bottle and just filled however much he wanted for each glass. My wife got very shorted on her #5 (the North and South) but she likes white better so didn't care. They were fairly generous pours overall. I was expecting like a dixie cup of each, but I'd say in total it was the equivalent of somewhere between two to three glasses (so about a third to a half a glass of each of the six wines). Definitely a pretty good deal, considering (if you don't have UBP) you'd pay about $20 for the cost of 2 glasses of wine at the bar, and here you got a very funny show along with it.

The food was

1) Peking Duck Salad (had the same salad at dinner one evening, it was delicious so I was happy to see it again)

2) Sirloin with Breaded Cajun Shrimp. Had a mushroom sauce.

3) Some kind of Mochacchino cake, with banana caramel sauce.

I went to the show while on the Breakaway. As someone who also grew up in the wine country (Sonoma Valley), I didn't go expecting great wines. Overall, I would not recommend it. Wine pouring was very erratic (sometimes you had to flag down a waiter), no interaction/knowledge of staff dispensing wine, food came out quickly (no time to enjoy and savor the food/wine pairings) and obstructed views of the show. The show is not on a stage so if you're not in front, you miss quite a bit.

My suggestion, and for about the same cost, is to do a couple of the wine tastings offered during the cruise. Usually knowledgable bar folks and great people! Many times, I've ended up partying with people I met at wine (and tequila!!) tastings.

We thought it was a fun hour or so. On the Getaway they use the Illusionarium stage, and everyone can see. Given that this show is in the Supper Club on the Escape, I assume they use same stage they used for the Brat Pack, when it was there. The wine is OK. Obviously, you can get much better wine at the cellars, but it's not terrible. The lunch isn't bad. It's just a cute show, with some wine and lunch.

We thought it was a fun hour or so. On the Getaway they use the Illusionarium stage, and everyone can see. Given that this show is in the Supper Club on the Escape, I assume they use same stage they used for the Brat Pack, when it was there. The wine is OK. Obviously, you can get much better wine at the cellars, but it's not terrible. The lunch isn't bad. It's just a cute show, with some wine and lunch.

That's how I looked at it... I booked it for the entertainment. For $24 per person, I certainly wasn't expecting Opus One. The servers aren't there to instruct you on the wine. They are there just to serve the food since the wine is already poured before you sit down. The characters in the show are the ones that tell you what to do and when to taste.

I thought the food was decent and I enjoyed the wine. The show was fun and the songs were entertaining.

That's how I looked at it... I booked it for the entertainment. For $24 per person, I certainly wasn't expecting Opus One. The servers aren't there to instruct you on the wine. They are there just to serve the food since the wine is already poured before you sit down. The characters in the show are the ones that tell you what to do and when to taste.

I thought the food was decent and I enjoyed the wine. The show was fun and the songs were entertaining.

Exactly! We had an enjoyable time. That's all we expected. We've seen it twice. Fun both times.