London/ QE2 vacation

babyher

Good afternoon all

My wife and I have been on a few cruises but never Cunard.

We were throwing around ideas for next years vacation and we were thinking about flying to London for a week and then coming home on the QE2 or possibly the QM2 to NYC (We live in Connecticut, so this would be ideal for us to come home that way)

Now we are just in the mulling it over stage here and haven't even spoken with a TA. I was just wondering if they have any type of packages that include airfare, hotels and the fare of the crossing.

Just thought I would get some ideas from CCers before making any real plans

Thank you in Advance

In Cunard's deluxe brochure there are all sort of pre or post crossing London stays listed. There are even options to visit Edinborough, Dublin, or Paris. Cunard's prices are not cheap though, and you can do better arranging the stays yourself or having a good travel agent make the plans.

Chances are the ship that you would have to use is the QUEEN MARY 2. The older QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 only rarely does a crossing, and often those are not marketed to an American crowd. If you would prefer the QE2 I do know that she is making a Southampton to New York crossing this coming January, and January and April of 2007.

As for which ship that you choose, that is up to you. And they both, most definitely, have their individual personalities. One may be more suitable than the other for you. As for me give me the QE2 with her well worn wooden bulkheads, quirky stairways, elevators, no two staterooms alike, and a sense of history that the QM2 is only begining to create.

A few years ago I purchased a crossing package from Cunard that included airport pickup in a chauffeur driven Mercedes, 3 nights at the Crowne Plaza St. James Hotel, (I extended it to 5 nights, very nice hotel, a stone's throw from Buckingham Palace) and transfer to the ship in Southampton in a chauffeur driven Mercedes.

I found it to be a very good deal. You may want to ask Cunard about it.

Thank you all for the info. definately some good choices to keep in mind.:)

Calliope: I have seen brouchures on both ships and they certainly both have their charms . I was kind of leaning toward the QE2 because growing up she was "THE" last word in luxury travel. Like you said a lot of history. Although I wouldn't complain if I was on QM2 *LOL*

Hmmmm this coming January is just too soon for a QE2 crossing . In fact we have a cruise coming up in a few weeks. But January 2007 could be a go.

Thank you all so much :)

For another treat, you can take the Orient Express to the ship on certain dates. You have a lovely lunch and the train pulls in at the ship. It's a lovely and historical way to begin your voyage on the Atlantic Ocean!

Oh that would be awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not have even thought about that when going to the TA , will definately have to inquier.

Thank you all so much, you have all been so helpful :)

Hi babyher

I recognized you from the HAL board.

:)

Just to let you know, staying in London for a week can be pretty expensive.

If you chop off a couple of days, you'll be doing fine.

I've made up a personal list of nice hotels in town, from 60GBP to 120GBP per night. Of course, season has plenty to do with everything.

I'd be more than happy to share my collection with you.

Just drop me a line here, or my email.

ParrotheadNJ6436@aol.com

:cool:

Before I would book the Orient Express option either to or from the vessel I would look back at some of the past strings about the Orient Express here on the Cunard board.

In my opinion it was vastly overpriced (at $300.00 per person from the ship to London) for what was offered. The food and service did not live up to the hype, and atleast during my trip a particularly loud and demanding passenger and her daughter made the passage rather uncomfortable for my partner and me.

I'd save the money and spend it for another night in London with dinner in a nice restaurant and a show in the West End! You'll still have money left over too!

Before I would book the Orient Express option either to or from the vessel I would look back at some of the past strings about the Orient Express here on the Cunard board.

In my opinion it was vastly overpriced (at $300.00 per person from the ship to London) for what was offered. The food and service did not live up to the hype, and atleast during my trip a particularly loud and demanding passenger and her daughter made the passage rather uncomfortable for my partner and me.

I'd save the money and spend it for another night in London with dinner in a nice restaurant and a show in the West End! You'll still have money left over too!

We had a wonderful and nostalgic experience riding on the Orient-Express to Southampton and arriving next to the ship. It's $255 from London to Southampton - so little for such a memorable excursion into yesteryear! The hectic pace of an extra night in London didn't compete with the overindulgent decadence of the Orient-Express! It's not supposed to be frugal but rather an extravagant splurge as it was long ago! Only the upper-crust could afford it, and the rest of us would have just dreamt of it or spent our lot on it! Each car has its own history - perhaps a Queen traveled in yours or maybe a well-known actor or actress - you never know who sat in your seat on this historical train until you read about the car you are dining and relaxing in as you pass the English countryside! Perhaps they too disembarked to board one of the Queens for the transatlantic crossing to America.

It was another once-in-a-lifetime and delightfully-unique experience as was splurging on a night in a castle in Ireland instead of another night in the now frenetic Dublin! Or similar to an expensive transatlantic crossing instead of a British Air special! It was so frivolous and impractical - we loved it!

Don't discount its historical charm and character, and the stage it provides for your imagination to fantasize a scenario of your own in your mind as you skim the rails like so many lucky passengers before you! I hope that you are fortunate and can experience this companion-English transportation coupled with a crossing on the Queen!

My fiance and I have just returned from the trip you have inquired about. It was wonderful. Most of the trip was booked through Cunard. It was easy, and they were very gracious, particularly after we realized our return flight date was incorrect.

We flew direct from Tampa to London on British Airways, business class, stayed at the St. James Court, rode to Southampton in a chartered bus, enjoyed a most pleasant crossing on the QM2, and reluctantly disembarked in NY. Our New York accommodations were not booked through Cunard, though our package included airfare back to Tampa.

The St. James Court was comfortable enough, though the elevators didn't always work. (Required finding an alternate elevator, or taking the stairs.) It is close to Buckingham Palace and the tube station. (The London tube is light-years nicer than NY subway: clean, easy to navigate, staffed by helpful people.) There's a wonderful pub, the Albert, a block from the hotel that offers pub-grub as well as "real food" that is very good, and reasonably priced. We also did a London Walking Tour (the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour) that was a lot of fun. We arrived in London Wednesday AM and sailed on Friday, so our touristing was limited, and we had priorities!

The chartered bus to Southampton took us directly to the ship. Check-in was easy. We were in Princess Grill accommodations, which is definitely the way to go on the QM2. Our stateroom was extremely nice and spacious. The room steward introduced himself when we boarded, and invisibly performed his job for the rest of the crossing. Our dining room staff was polite, professional, and personable. The food was excellent. (AVOID the Kings Court food court during meal times. It's a zoo. Although, late night, the Kings Court is nice for a cup of tea and bedtime snack.) A variety of entertainment is offered, though we only attended the first night's show. We did some dancing in the disco, martinis in several venues, and I did a lot of sleeping. I've had a very stressful year, so resting was on my agenda. The QM2 is the world's largest floating waterbed. I slept SO well.

My fiance's birthday was the day of disembarkation. The day before, he discovered a birthday card outside the door of our room. That night, our dining staff presented him with a lovely chocolate cake (cake and mousse layers, with sliced strawberries on top), with two candles. As we'd planned to have Grand Mariner souffle for dessert, they sent the cake to our room. We ate it for breakfast the next morning as we entered the harbor in NY. Also, on the television that morning, was a birthday greeting. My fiance felt very special.

I would definitely recommend the QM2 as your means of transport back home from your London vacation. My fiance and I are planning to do this again next year, after a vacation to Ireland.

Bon voyage,

Nancy

My fiance and I have just returned from the trip you have inquired about. It was wonderful. Most of the trip was booked through Cunard. It was easy, and they were very gracious, particularly after we realized our return flight date was incorrect.

We flew direct from Tampa to London on British Airways, business class, stayed at the St. James Court, rode to Southampton in a chartered bus, enjoyed a most pleasant crossing on the QM2, and reluctantly disembarked in NY. Our New York accomodations were not booked through Cunard, though our package included airfare back to Tampa.

The St. James Court was comfortable enough, though the elevators didn't always work. (Required finding an alternate elevator, or taking the stairs.) It is close to Buckingham Palace and the tube station. (The London tube is light-years nicer than NY subway: clean, easy to navigate, staffed by helpful people.) There's a wonderful pub, the Albert, a block from the hotel that offers pub-grub as well as "real food" that is very good, and reasonably priced. We also did a London Walking Tour (the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour) that was a lot of fun. We arrived in London Wednesday AM and sailed on Friday, so our touristing was limited, and we had priorities!

The chartered bus to Southampton took us directly to the ship. Check-in was easy. We were in Princess Grill accomodations, which is definitely the way to go on the QM2. Our stateroom was extremely nice and spacious. The room steward introduced himself when we boarded, and invisibly performed his job for the rest of the crossing. Our dining room staff was polite, professional, and personable. The food was excellent. (AVOID the Kings Court food court during meal times. It's a zoo. Although, late night, the Kings Court is nice for a cup of tea and bedtime snack.) A variety of entertainment is offered, though we only attended the first night's show. We did some dancing in the disco, martini's in several venues, and I did a lot of sleeping. I've had a very stressful year, so resting was on my agenda. The QM2 is the world's largest floating waterbed. I slept SO well.

My fiance's birthday was the day of disembarkation. The day before, he discovered a birthday card outside the door of our room. That night, our dining staff presented him with a lovely chocolate cake (cake and mousse layers, with sliced strawberries on top), with two candles. As we'd planned to have Grand Mariner souffle for dessert, they sent the cake to our room. We ate it for breakfast the next morning as we entered the harbor in NY. Also, on the television that morning, was a birthday greeting. My fiance felt very special.

I would definitely recommend the QM2 as your means of transport back home from your London vacation. My fiance and I are planning to do this again next year, after a vacation to Ireland.

Bon voyage,

Nancy

Archived