Name for Second Guest

jayisgerman

I have never been on CCL before (only HAL and NCL). I have placed a cruise on hold. However, I need some help with this question please:

I will not know who passenger #2 will be until a while from now (cruise is for December). So, can I just enter my name for booking and leave the #2 as TBA and just pay the deposit and then add the second name later on? Or will that re-price my cruise at that point? :eek:

I am just confused, because it says "name changes not allowed". :confused: Final Pay Date would be October 3.

Thank you all. Have a lovely day.

J

I have one in Dec and I don't plan on entering in names yet, I will wait until I am sure who is going with me. Prior to final payment I will enter in the names, I just go online to my online check in and add the names there. I've never had a problem doing it that way. It definitely will not change the price of your cruise. Your cruise is locked in at the price you booked it at, you can even do price adjustments, change rooms etc without having the other passenger names in there.

I have one in Dec and I don't plan on entering in names yet, I will wait until I am sure who is going with me. Prior to final payment I will enter in the names, I just go online to my online check in and add the names there. I've never had a problem doing it that way. It definitely will not change the price of your cruise. Your cruise is locked in at the price you booked it at, you can even do price adjustments, change rooms etc without having the other passenger names in there.

That's perfect! Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

I am just confused, because it says "name changes not allowed". :confused: Final Pay Date would be October 3.

J

What you are looking at is the "Early Saver" rate. That's something unique to Carnival, in that you get a discounted rate for booking early, and you are allowed to continue matching to lower prices after the final payment date, all the up until a couple days before sailing. Those are the advantages, but there are plenty of restrictions. One is the thing about no name changes allowed, not even for a fee. Another big one is that the deposit is nonrefundable. If you cancel the cruise before final payment, the deposit (minus a $50 per person penalty) will be held for a future cruise to be taken within a couple years. That future cruise credit would have to go toward the final payment of the future cruise, not the deposit. If you change what sailing you're going to go on before final payment, that will also incur a $50pp penalty. Also, no downgrading your room at any time. You can move to an equal category room, or you can upgrade (paying whatever the price difference is), but no downgrading. Some people report a Carnival phone rep getting them out of these restrictions, but I would never count on that happening for me or you.

Most of Carnival's other rates will not have these restrictions, but they also are usually a higher price than Early Saver, plus you cannot price match after final payment. So those rates are basically just like the ones from other cruiselines.

What you are looking at is the "Early Saver" rate. That's something unique to Carnival, in that you get a discounted rate for booking early, and you are allowed to continue matching to lower prices after the final payment date, all the up until a couple days before sailing. Those are the advantages, but there are plenty of restrictions. One is the thing about no name changes allowed, not even for a fee. Another big one is that the deposit is nonrefundable. If you cancel the cruise before final payment, the deposit (minus a $50 per person penalty) will be held for a future cruise to be taken within a couple years. That future cruise credit would have to go toward the final payment of the future cruise, not the deposit. If you change what sailing you're going to go on before final payment, that will also incur a $50pp penalty. Also, no downgrading your room at any time. You can move to an equal category room, or you can upgrade (paying whatever the price difference is), but no downgrading. Some people report a Carnival phone rep getting them out of these restrictions, but I would never count on that happening for me or you.

Most of Carnival's other rates will not have these restrictions, but they also are usually a higher price than Early Saver, plus you cannot price match after final payment. So those rates are basically just like the ones from other cruiselines.

Thank you, K2. I appreciate your help. It would be my first cruise on CCL (only been mainly with HAL and 1 time on NCL). I read through the restrictions regarding the deposit, etc. Fine with that. Also, downsizing not likely. as I absolutely need a balcony. My main concern is that the person I am planning to go with will not know for sure until much later this year. So, I want to just keep "guest #2" listed as TBA until I know for certain. If not this person, then another one can be entered at that point. Another CC member posted that this should be fine - he keeps it open until later in the game, too. :)

Really appreciate your nice note. Good luck with all those mountains!

J

We had a similar thing happen last month. The cabin, in my name, had to have both deposits paid at time of booking. I had to pay the entire balance off on the due date. Then when the second passenger was named, my PVP added her to my cabin when I called her with the info. Then I had to get the full cruise amount back from her. I'm not sure how we booked, ES or Past Guest. I do know it was one of those.

Edited by volmoma

Thank you, K2. I appreciate your help. It would be my first cruise on CCL (only been mainly with HAL and 1 time on NCL). I read through the restrictions regarding the deposit, etc. Fine with that. Also, downsizing not likely. as I absolutely need a balcony. My main concern is that the person I am planning to go with will not know for sure until much later this year. So, I want to just keep "guest #2" listed as TBA until I know for certain. If not this person, then another one can be entered at that point. Another CC member posted that this should be fine - he keeps it open until later in the game, too. :)

Really appreciate your nice note. Good luck with all those mountains!

J

I'm not sure if Carnival actually lists a TBA for guest #2 anymore. (Maybe they do, and I just don't know it.) But it essentially will work exactly the same way. You will have 1 person listed on your booking, and solo bookings still have to pay double the cruise fare and 2 deposits, but only 1 set of taxes. So whenever a 2nd person is added, they are just simply added to the booking, and the only extra amount would be the taxes for 1.

Edited by k2excursion

I was told at the end of last year, for a cruise in May of this year, that we could add a name up to 1 day before sailing. That was from our PVP that we have worked with for upwards of 15 years. I don't think I would wait that late, but I guess if you had too. She was added after final payment was made with no problem at all. Only thing we did run into was the purchase of the cheers card. Being there was only one in the room at the time the cheers was pre purchased only one person had to purchase. After the 2nd name was added to the room she was never made to purchase the card. (If one in cabin purchases the Cheers card all over 21 years of age have to purchase) She even tried to pre purchase and it wouldn't let her. Worked out good for her, she wasn't a big drinker anyway.

I'm not sure if Carnival actually lists a TBA for guest #2 anymore. (Maybe they do, and I just don't know it.) But it essentially will work exactly the same way. You will have 1 person listed on your booking, and solo bookings still have to pay double the cruise fare and 2 deposits, but only 1 set of taxes. So whenever a 2nd person is added, they are just simply added to the booking, and the only extra amount would be the taxes for 1.

This is exactly right. Going through this right now with a BREEZE cruise in October. Ex can't decide on whether to go with her sister in a balcony or me in an inside (that should be an easy one, LOL). Agent said "anytime", just have to add taxes for the 2nd passenger.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Seven days before the cruise the names are official and can not be changed.

Where in the world did you come up with that?

As long as the first name is TBA, you can change up to the sail date without being charged a fee. It's only when you have an actual name in place and try to change it do they enforce the fees.