Freedom internet speeds?

Rgo772

I was wondering from any of you who have been on the freedom lately how the speeds for the Internet are? I ask because my wife has to take one of her college test while we are underway. Will she be able to log into the college website and take the timed test. Also we won't have a laptop so can she do it from a ship board computer. Any help on which package to get for the one day. Thanks.

I was on Imagination cruising from Los Angeles to Ensenada. Got the premium option. My experience is depend on application, it could be slow. I was able to VPN and remote desktop to my work but it was incredibly slow. You type something in and no response until 5-10 seconds later. I was able to get work done but not comfortably. My wife use it for her facebook thing and she is happy with it. Good luck!!!

I was on the Freedom last week and had the social media package for the cruise. It was suitable for instagram and facebook. The Carnival site (which is free) came up fine on my tablet ok , also pulled up facebook on the browser of my tablet and was able to upload a couple of pictures I had transferred over from my camera. I posted a lot on instagram from my phone, but realize that's not what you're looking for.

As for a test, as long as it's text and not heavy with video/audio. I think the next rung up internet package would work fine for that purpose. I don't have the flyer in front of me, but seems like you could get it for like $15 a day.

Edited by elvisran

We were recently on the Sensation. Our MDR server was very excited about getting off the ship in Cozumel to use the internet. She said it was impossible to get her online coursework done on the ship's internet.

Sailed on the Freedom 5/21-5/28. Internet speeds were okay, at best. But....with the package, you can also use the "Internet cafe" (promenade deck, just across from coffee shop) and get a bit faster speeds. I would guess that for any tests, the ship's computers may be the best way to go (same sign on as wifi). I did notice that early on, download speeds were better, but as the week progressed, more people "discovered" the wifi. Even those just using the Hub app take up wifi bandwidth.

Just wanted to follow up. Just got back from the freedom today. We bought the basic internet plan and it worked fine for doing college work and surfing sites. Was not fast enough to stream video but was able to go to other sites fine. FYI you don't have to buy it on each phone you can log in on different phones or computers that has your login info. All my family was able to log in at different time to download emails or surf. Just remember if the other person clicks login on different computer the current person will be logged off. Any questions anyone has bplease ask.

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving on the Freedom this Saturday, 7/02/16. Would like to check my email at the Internet cafe for a few minutes on several days. Does the Internet cafe insist that you buy a daily plan ($16) for that or do they have a "by the minute" option?

sorry to disappoint, the internet cafe on board is the exact same as the rest of the ship, except the bridge. Using the internet around dinner time is painfully slow, think dial up. I tried checking "what's my speed" it was slow it hardly loaded. I got on in the middle of the day and the best signal I got 2 Mb. We run 60-100 at home.

• 3 months later...