Sky Suite 8127 vs CC Aft 8176

cruisinfromcanada

This is my first attempt at starting a thread so hopefully I do it right.

I know this has already been discussed but I can't seem to find anything now that I'm in a situation where I need help.

I've just been told by my TA that Celebrity is upgrading us from CC aft 8176 to SS 8127 midship for our Panamal Canal cruise on the Infinity.

This may sound strange but I'm not sure if that's really an upgrade other than the butler. It even looks to me like the balcony is smaller with 8127.

We booked the aft cabin for the view and peacefullness we expected to get there. We planned to eat most of our meals there.

Are we crazy to ask to keep our aft cabin? :confused:

Hoping someone out there can put our minds to rest. These boards have been very helpful to us newbies so far.

Connie

No, you are not crazy for wanting to keep your aft cabin for the reasons you outlined (spending time on a big balcony, enjoying the aft view). Because it is a wheel chair accessible cabin (actually both of your cabins are), 8176's balcony is very large even by aft standards--20 ft deep and about 12-13 ft wide. Personally, I feel that an aft balcony is perfect for doing the Canal.

However if it is too late to go back and you are stuck with this upgrade, 8127 is a fairly spacious SS as well although the balcony is smaller.

I have this aft one for my Panama cruise which starts on Sunday. I have read nothing but good things about it and I will post my opinion upon return. Personally, I don't think all of the hundreds of people who say it's the only way to go can be all wrong.

cheers

Ron

I've just been told by my TA that Celebrity is upgrading us from CC aft 8176 to SS 8127 midship for our Panamal Canal cruise on the Infinity.

This may sound strange but I'm not sure if that's really an upgrade other than the butler. It even looks to me like the balcony is smaller with 8127.

We booked the aft cabin for the view and peacefullness we expected to get there. We planned to eat most of our meals there.

Are we crazy to ask to keep our aft cabin? :confused:

No, I don't think you're crazy at all. If you'd already had an FV cabin (right near your CC), it would actually have made for less space inside and out! As it is, you will gain some interior room, but lose the huge balcony (a major plus for a long itinerary if you plan to make use of it), and like a previous poster notes, it's a fantastic place to view a Canal transit. You may not see where you're goin', but you'll sure know where you've been!

IMGP1093.jpg.7d043b613b78dc637368ad0d1fbde570.jpg

Keep the aft cabin! We had one on our recent Summit cruise on 10/10 and LOVED it! Two couples at our table had a Sky Suite and weren't all that impressed with it. The balconies on the aft cabins are huge and we spent a lot of time enjoying it! Tons of room for eating, lounging and relaxing. You won't be sorry!

Have fun!

Nancy

Actually, since 8176 is a handicapped cabin it is about the same size as the sky suite.
I'd guess it ups the size to about 230 square feet. We finally had a chance to peek into one of these at the start of our last cruise, and it appeared that it was the better part of 2 ~ 3 ft. wider than the regular CC cabins. You'd expect that, as the space off the end of the bed isn't typically a comfortable fit for a rolly chair.

I'd guess it ups the size to about 230 square feet. We finally had a chance to peek into one of these at the start of our last cruise, and it appeared that it was the better part of 2 ~ 3 ft. wider than the regular CC cabins. You'd expect that, as the space off the end of the bed isn't typically a comfortable fit for a rolly chair.

Celebrity's brochures list the M-class CC wheel chair accessible cabins at 272 sq ft. Based on the tape measurements and photos that I took of our corner FV, I would have estimated the 8176 to be 20 ft long x 13 ft wide (9 ft shorter than a corner FV but 2.5 ft wider) which is about the same number.

BTW wheel chair accessible Sky Suites are listed by Celebrity as having 362 sq ft on M-class.

Thanks to all of you who answered my plea for advice. We're staying with our aft cabin. I know we could go up on deck to see the canal but it will be much easier on DH (HC) to get a good view from the balcony. The perks of the suite (for free) would have been nice but I think we'll get much more from our big balcony than we would from the extra SS space and the butler..

Again, these boards have been a big help to us.

Happy Sailing

Connie

I think you've made the right choice. We had aft 7203. before we got off we walked through a SS. Yes the cabin is a bit bigger, but I don't believe we would have really noticed or cared. We did care for the much larger deck on the aft cabins. Nothing like laying in the shade in your own deck chair, reading and snoozing the day away. Can't do that in a SS.

Archived