Divina solarium pool

Mattnvick

I was just looking at the artist renderings for Seaside "sticky" and reading the comments. Someone asked about the glass covered area midships and I think it was Mike ( if not apologies) said it had a pool in with a retractable roof like all MSC ships.

My question is (specifically Divina as that's the one are booked on :) ) even though the roof can retract do they actually do it if the weather is good?

I know on our only other cruise on Royals Enchantment we were told us the roof of their solarium can retract but I've never seen it open, which on really hot sunny days would seem a shame.

I was just looking at the artist renderings for Seaside "sticky" and reading the comments. Someone asked about the glass covered area midships and I think it was Mike ( if not apologies) said it had a pool in with a retractable roof like all MSC ships.

My question is (specifically Divina as that's the one are booked on :) ) even though the roof can retract do they actually do it if the weather is good?

I know on our only other cruise on Royals Enchantment we were told us the roof of their solarium can retract but I've never seen it open, which on really hot sunny days would seem a shame.

Matt,,,onboard MSC Divina the roof is opened almost everyday while weather permits, they will close the roof every evening though,,:)

Matt,,,onboard MSC Divina the roof is opened almost everyday while weather permits, they will close the roof every evening though,,:)

Wonderful - thank you. I am so glad to hear that, I couldn't see the point on Enchantment of having a retractable roof but then never using it. Those places can get extremely hot.

Does the one on Divina get really busy like the open air pool deck or is it a little quieter? Also is it for everyone or adults only?

Wonderful - thank you. I am so glad to hear that, I couldn't see the point on Enchantment of having a retractable roof but then never using it. Those places can get extremely hot.

Does the one on Divina get really busy like the open air pool deck or is it a little quieter? Also is it for everyone or adults only?

It's not as busy as the Aqua Park on deck 14 or the Garden Pool on deck 15,,and yes,,it's available to everyone. If you want to get away from the crowds,,for an extra fee,,the Top 18 is a great place. They have loungers as well as 2 person rattan sun beds which can be rented for full or half days. There is also a mini bar,,not full bar with cocktails, soft drinks, and beer. As well,,the servers walk around passing out fruit skewers if you like. The only downside is there is only a hot tub in this area,,,no pool. :)

The solarium on Divina is beautiful has SOOOOOOOOOO much potential, but imo it falls short in a few critical areas.

1) There are no loungers in the solarium. Table tops for 4 only (all levels).

2) VERY slippery floors. I'm not kidding, be VERY VERY careful in here.

3) Solarium is not adults only. It is very much Family Friendly, and since it's enclosed it is quite loud with delightful squeals of little ones enjoying themselves. Great for the kids/families, not so much for the adults who just want to relax in peace and quiet. This is not the solarium atmosphere like you find on Celebrity or RCL.

On my sailing, there wasn't much difference in terms of crowding between all 3 pools (infinity, aqua park, and solarium). I have photos of each of the pools taken during a Sea Day. I don't mean to put you off from the solarium, but I do think keeping reasonable expectations in terms of crowding will help you enjoy the trip.

In all fairness, I did travel during spring break/Easter time frame, but I would expect similar crowding on any summer sailing especially with the kids sail free promos. If you're interested, The photos of the pools are found in thread #98 of my review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2333619&page=5

Hope this helps!

The solarium on Divina is beautiful has SOOOOOOOOOO much potential, but imo it falls short in a few critical areas.

3) Solarium is not adults only. It is very much Family Friendly, and since it's enclosed it is quite loud with delightful squeals of little ones enjoying themselves. Great for the kids/families, not so much for the adults who just want to relax in peace and quiet. This is not the solarium atmosphere like you find on Celebrity or RCL.

On my sailing, there wasn't much difference in terms of crowding between all 3 pools (infinity, aqua park, and solarium). I have photos of each of the pools taken during a Sea Day. I don't mean to put you off from the solarium, but I do think keeping reasonable expectations in terms of crowding will help you enjoy the trip.

In all fairness, I did travel during spring break/Easter time frame, but I would expect similar crowding on any summer sailing especially with the kids sail free promos. If you're interested, The photos of the pools are found in thread #98 of my review here:

Hope this helps!

Wonderful thank you. Interesting to read that no loungers only chairs and tables. We will be on Divina in November so we will see how busy she is.

I'm actually not worried at all, I know if the pools are all crowded I will find a quiet corner somewhere on the ship to admire the ocean and read my book.

In all honesty it didn't surprise me that it wasn't adults only. It's an Italian ship after all and Italians are very, very family orientated - hence 2 or 3 hour lunch or dinners with all the children is quite the norm, :D which is not really the case most of the time here in North America and is one of the "gripes" :D that seems to crop up quite a lot on here.

I know when we were in Italy a lot of complaints were overheard about "slow" service and how no one ever brings a bill. No not slow, relaxed and enjoyed and they never want you to feel rushed out of the door by being so intrusive as to give you a bill and so ask for payment.

Sorry a little off topic........ :rolleyes: I have no doubt im going to really enjoy this beautiful ship and her European ways ;);)

Regards your comment about the slippery floors I have seen this mentioned a lot. Someone also wondered if that is one of the things they may fix when she goes into dry dock in September. We will see. But in case it's not, don't worry - I will be on my guard!

Edited by Mattnvick

Hope this helps!

All very good points Bermuda, and i have never seen it open in 6 trips.

Wonderful thank you. Interesting to read that no loungers only chairs and tables. We will be on Divina in November so we will see how busy she is.

I'm actually not worried at all, I know if the pools are all crowded I will find a quiet corner somewhere on the ship to admire the ocean and read my book.

In all honesty it didn't surprise me that it wasn't adults only. It's an Italian ship after all and Italians are very, very family orientated - hence 2 or 3 hour lunch or dinners with all the children is quite the norm, :D which is not really the case most of the time here in North America and is one of the "gripes" :D that seems to crop up quite a lot on here.

I know when we were in Italy a lot of complaints were overheard about "slow" service and how no one ever brings a bill. No not slow, relaxed and enjoyed and they never want you to feel rushed out of the door by being so intrusive as to give you a bill and so ask for payment.

Sorry a little off topic........ :rolleyes: I have no doubt im going to really enjoy this beautiful ship and her European ways ;);)

Regards your comment about the slippery floors I have seen this mentioned a lot. Someone also wondered if that is one of the things they may fix when she goes into dry dock in September. We will see. But in case it's not, don't worry - I will be on my guard!

You've got the right attitude to enjoy the Divina :).

BTW...just a heads up, the brownish/grey rectangle tile found around the ship (entering buffet, etc..) is very similar to the tanish/light brown color tile found in the solarium. Slippery even when dry. It's a beautiful ship, but the flooring is slick because they don't use as much carpet as other lines.