Ok friends give me opinions

countryflower

Just so you know... I have a similar outfit that I was planning on wearing for one of the formal nights. I am just going to pair it with some nice heels and sparkly jewelry. Mine is very comfortable, not strapless though, and I have tested it out already one night in Vegas! The first formal night I am still planning on wearing my velvet dress :)

I agree that if you want to be formal for formal night, this isn't the right outfit. It's looks more like something for a semi-formal evening. Of course, as we all know, some people don't dress up for formal attire, so if you did wear this outfit, no one will stop you attending any festivities of the evening, however, if you're looking to be formally attired, this is not a formal outfit.

BTW, in my opinion, if you do buy and wear this outfit, I hope you're shorter than the model who's wearing it. The pants are too short on her with her high heeled sandals. The wide legs make the whole look very ungraceful on her. To me, it looks as though she borrowed an outfit from a shorter friend. If the pants are the same length on you, stick to a delicate flat or low heeled sandal, not high heels.

Jane

I have a very similar outfit (Jane - mine fits to the floor length even with 3 1/2 inch heels and I'm 5'5" :D )

I wore it for Informal night with a sexy strappy sandal. For jewelry, I have a pave' diamond drop necklace (it's three circles hanging end to end - about 3" long) with drop earrings to match. I didn't want to over do it with jewelry. I thought it was perfect.

I have a very similar outfit (Jane - mine fits to the floor length even with 3 1/2 inch heels and I'm 5'5" :D )

I wore it for Informal night with a sexy strappy sandal. For jewelry, I have a pave' diamond drop necklace (it's three circles hanging end to end - about 3" long) with drop earrings to match. I didn't want to over do it with jewelry. I thought it was perfect.

Agree. Sounds perfect!

Jane

I have kind of mixed feelings about an outfit like this. If it is well fitting, worn with the right jewelry and shoes, it could be stunning. The way it is displayed on the model, it looks a bit trashy, the pants are too short, too tight across the butt and she has the arched back "Paris HIlton" stance. It looks to me more like a nightclub outfit. I would have to say, don't do it unless you have an absolutely perfect butt.

My experience with jumpsuits (OK, it was back in the 70's) were some of my funniest, most embarrasing events of my life. Without getting into too much detail, avoid ascending stairs, make sure the bathroom door is locked and do not, in any circumstances, try using a public loo.

Countryflower--I love this outfit. It has some "personality" to it and I agree with the right accessories it would be awesome. I don't have the body for it--but if you do--perfect! Believe me you will see a huge range of outfits and there will be plenty lots less formal looking than this. Personally--I think the "cocktail dress" alternative looks great on formal night--just because something is long doesn't make it more formal than something else. JMHO

One ? though--does it have an easy way to go to the bathroom. I used to have a one piece outfit I wore and by the end of the night--it became a real pain inthe neck. No beer drinking with it. Have a blast on your cruise.

Ok, I have to ask a question re formal.

formal to me means full length to the floor evening gown with a man in a dinner jacket and or tux. Of course their are tuxes with tails and then there is the white tie and gloves or black tie.

But from what I gather, "formal night" on most cruises is really "cocktail". If a man can wear a dark suit and ladies can wear "dressy slacks and a sparkly/evening style blouse" that is not formal in my opinion.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion and I've never been on a "formal night cruise".

I have been to formal affairs and only floor length gowns were acceptable as were tuxedos for men with white tie and tails/white gloves and you were not admitted unless that was your attire. Others required tuxes but no tails or white tie and gloves but still a full length gown for ladies was required.

Seems to me on "formal night cruise", also would depend on the cruise line. Someone I know sailed on the QEII quite a few years ago. She bought and borrowed 4 full length ball gowns as she was in the top level of first class and her boyfriend who took had to wear a full tux every evening, dark suit was not permitted.

But from what I read, and it's not a judgement or a criticism, all the outfits look great, so please understand what I'm writing, that not all the outfits are "formal" very very dressy, very very pretty, but not formal and that "to the floor ball gowns are not required".

When I was on my cruise, (we had no formal nights), but one lady who had cruised a few times before, said for formal nights, she wears evening pants and dressy top and hubby wears a dark suit

If that is the case, then I see nothing wrong with the outfit, but if it's truely formal (then this is not a formal outfit in my opinion).

Again, please understand that I'm not judgeing or criticizing or anything, I'm just asking what formal really means on a cruise so hopefully it will help to determine what is really apropriate for "formal night".

MrsMoose2001, You have hit the nail directly on the head. What was once a formal affair has, through the years, been downgraded to less than formal, for many people. The interpretation of formal on a cruise ship today goes anywhere from full skirted ballgown to Sunday best, with a few in office garb. For men, it is anything from tux all the way to shirttails and not even a tie.

But, cruising today isn't the same as cruising back in earlier days. The whole experience has become more casual. It is within reach of a far wider audience, many of whom have never had the occasion to dress formally. There's a whole lot more one could say about it, but I'll just leave it at that.

I have cruised once on NCL line, which has a formal optional evening. We opted out and I can say I really enjoyed not having to bring along all the dressy stuff. One day we plan on cruising on a ship with no "formal" evenings at all. It sure sounds a lot less stressful and a whole lot easier to pack for!

The way it is displayed on the model, it looks a bit trashy, the pants are too short, too tight across the butt and she has the arched back "Paris HIlton" stance. It looks to me more like a nightclub outfit. I would have to say, don't do it unless you have an absolutely perfect butt.

Happy Ks,

I'm so glad you said this as it echo's my thoughts exactly but was reluctant to share those thoughts since recently I've accused of being both nasty and rude for giving opinions when one was asked for.

Thanks.

Jane

Jane, I just remember it's an annonymous internet message board and I don't take it personal. I do hold myself back, sometimes, I think I edited that post 3 times before I hit the submit button ;) .

You get so many differing opinions on this board, look at the one just after mine!

It reminds me of an incident with my daughter while shopping a few weeks ago. We were standing in line, behind a couple of young women who were dressed just horribly, the midriff bulging, the hair dry and ratty, the too black eyeliner and caked on foundation. DD looks at me and smiles in a knowing way. A third young woman approaches and gushes to her friends about how cute they look. Beauty is definitely, in the eye of the beholder.

My experience with jumpsuits (OK, it was back in the 70's) were some of my funniest, most embarrasing events of my life. Without getting into too much detail, avoid ascending stairs, make sure the bathroom door is locked and do not, in any circumstances, try using a public loo.

I'm getting the mental picture of... ABBA. Am I right? :D

Thankfully, I have no butt at all. :cool:

Happy KS, thank you, that's what I thought.

We only had the one cruise and hubby's criteria for that one was "no formal nights, I'm not bringing a tux to Alaska". I agreed with him. First I don't own any ball gowns anymore as I never have the occasion to wear one anymore and second I didn't want to have to buy a full formal outfit which would have been a "ladies tux" anyway and drag it all.

I respect the ladies and gents that like to get dressed up, and I'm in no way judgeing or criticizing, but from all the stuff I've read, I think it's more a "dressy eveing" than what I would personally call formal which leaves a lot more room for choosing attire.

I personally think that the cruise lines should either change the name from formal to evening attire or be more specific (perhaps they are, I don't know) in their description of what formal means. Here when there are events, it's described on the invitation as (I'll translate in english), business attire, evening attire or black tie and if full length is required then it is listed for the ladies as such. Black tie usually means a dinner tux (no tails) and a cocktail dress for ladies. Hubby and I usually avoid all black tie events, lol. When I lived in New Orleans and was part of a crewe and a mardi gras ball formal event, white tie, tails and white gloves for men was strictly enforced and full length gown fully enforced for the ladies and that's why I'm so confused as to the "formal evening".

I was told that there are cruise ship still which when there is a formal night, it's still "full length ball gowns", haven't a clue, just going by what people told me on my cruise.

Jane and Happy, I agree with both of you, personally now that it's out, I would say the outfit looks more like a "club outfit" than formal attire, but then again that brings me back to my question that Happy answered.

I didn't judge the lenght of the pants as that can vary on the OP. It's an outfit I would have worn to go dancing in the 80's at a club, not to a formal dinner. But not wanting to spoil anyone's happiness I did not say that. Thanks to you both for having the courage to speak up:)

MrsMoose,

I think one of the reasons you feel confused about formal nights is that each cruise line has their own desciption of what is "suggested" and each and every passenger on every cruise has their own interpretation of the "suggested" dress.

You see the same thing in this thread. Some said the pantsuit looks great and would definitely fit in on formal night. Others said maybe informal night (a term which not all cruise lines use). I have seen it all and agree that just because something is long doesn't make it formal. I actually saw a young lady wear a batik-dyed sarong and flip flops on formal night on the Princess cruise I was on! I giggled a little internally, but it certainly didn't ruin my cruise or change my opinion of what is acceptable for formal night.

My point is, you will see everything on formal night from formal ball gowns to Sunday dresses to sarongs with flip-flops! I do believe that this pantsuit would fit in only because it would not be the least dressy item seen that night. It wouldn't be my choice as I tend to go more the direction of ball gown, but it would not cause the OP to be refused entry to the dining room, either.

Ok, I have to ask a question re formal.

formal to me means full length to the floor evening gown with a man in a dinner jacket and or tux. Of course their are tuxes with tails and then there is the white tie and gloves or black tie.

I have been to formal affairs and only floor length gowns were acceptable as were tuxedos for men with white tie and tails/white gloves and you were not admitted unless that was your attire. Others required tuxes but no tails or white tie and gloves but still a full length gown for ladies was required.

".

The above is referred to as Black Tie and White Tie. White Tie is the more formal of the two and reserved for things such as state dinners and attire is white tie and tails for men and ballgown, (which is dressier than an evening gown) for women.

Archived