Update on Cost of Living on the Carnival Victory

plane2port

Some of you may recall a thread that I started here in February. I was interested in how much it costs to live on a Carnival ship. In my first post I talk about why and how I chose the Victory, and how I determined costs. That original post is here:

http://www.plane2port.com/cost-of-living-on-a-carnival-cruise-ship/

At that time the total costs per day were $189 for two people.

I've gone back and updated prices as of May 28. Guess what? Prices have increased! The new per diem for two is $208. If you're interested in the number crunching the data are here:

http://www.plane2port.com/may-update-cost-living-carnival-cruise-ship/

I plan to recheck prices after the final payment date.

Edited by plane2port

Although I can understand using the Victory as it showed the lowest per day rate, I think that if you went with a ship that did 7 night cruises, you may benefit in the long run with additional benefits and perks. It wouldn't take long to reach platinum and that would allow for you to attend the past cruiser party as well as have enough free laundry to take care of most if not all of your clothes.

Plus, if you purchased Carnival stock ahead of time, then you would have a decent amount of OBC from that on 7 night cruises to off set some on board costs.

Also, with a smaller ship like the victory doing shorter cruises, I think there would be a greater chance of having to leave the ship for a charter occasionally.

I also think that on a ship without the "bells and whistles" of the newer or updated ships, you'd get bored with the lesser variety of food, ports, and entertainment.

My first thought was whether or not you included gratuities, which you didn't. I would prefer to see these numbers with the gratuities included. Also, are the numbers for an inside cabin? I didn't read the original thread.

Gratuities are included in all cases. Go to the end of the posts and you'll see the cost per day with gratuities included.

Yes the numbers are for the cheapest inside cabin available for every cruise.

OK, I looked a little further into your information. I wouldn't want to live that kind of nomadic life. Every three and four days we'd have to debark, go through customs and embark again. We'd also have to pack up and change rooms nearly every time. That's packing up twice a week. No thanks!

There's a guy I read about recently who lives on a RCCL ship. I believe he's a financial advisor of some type and works from his laptop a few hours a day. He's been on one RCCL ship so long the crew dedicated a table for him to work from.

The article didn't mention what type of room he was in and whether or not he changed rooms regularly.

You're talking about Super Mario!

http://www.plane2port.com/using-cruise-ship-home-office/

Although I can understand using the Victory as it showed the lowest per day rate, I think that if you went with a ship that did 7 night cruises, you may benefit in the long run with additional benefits and perks. It wouldn't take long to reach platinum and that would allow for you to attend the past cruiser party as well as have enough free laundry to take care of most if not all of your clothes.

Plus, if you purchased Carnival stock ahead of time, then you would have a decent amount of OBC from that on 7 night cruises to off set some on board costs.

Also, with a smaller ship like the victory doing shorter cruises, I think there would be a greater chance of having to leave the ship for a charter occasionally.

I also think that on a ship without the "bells and whistles" of the newer or updated ships, you'd get bored with the lesser variety of food, ports, and entertainment.

This is an excellent point. The longer the cruise, the more your stockholder credit.