An Arizonan in Alaska. What to wear.

nanswers

I know there have been many threads on what to wear in Alaska. Layers. Being that I have lived in Phoenix for 20 years, our sense of what is cold is different than the rest. Anyone from a warm weather state able to give advice on what to wear? We are going May 27 and doing the SB itinerary.

Thanks for the poster who is used to sunny and hot Arizona.

Hi there -

Honestly, I think the answer is the same for everyone - dress in layers that you can either put on or take off easily. You will find your own comfort level, and it also depends on what the weather is doing your particular week. We went last year and had sunny, beautiful weather (still cool in May). Some years ago we went in August and it rained every day. Now those could have been reversed... there's really no way to tell.

Alaska is rain forest, so you should be prepared for the rains. Think layers, with the top layer being waterproof. I recommend a hat instead of an umbrella (dangerous to others' eyes while walking in port). Waterproof boots for rainy days, athletic shoes for dry days.

Have fun. :)

I live in southern New Mexico so can appreciate your question. Our first Alaska trip was in 2012 and we are going again next week. Layers is the best strategy -- nothing heavy.

Think about what you would wear in the 60's at home and then add on top a light waterproof jacket, waterproof walking shoes, and socks. I take Smartwool socks not cotton ones.

I also pack a pair of capris with mix and match tops in case it warms up.

The only time I felt really cold was on Glacier Bay day -- so take a cozy hat and gloves. I found a scarf worked wonders if it was chilly first thing in the morning.

Edited by Alaskanb

Hi Nanswers

We live in Gilbert, Az & went last September 2015 on our Alaska Trip.

Without knowing your intinerary, any pre or post cruise events, including shore excursions, I will try to answers your questions.

We found that a water-proof rain coat, not windbreaker was best for most occasions. Although we did not need it too much for rain, it was perfect for this trip. Some type of long sleeve under shirt, with a full-zipper polar fleece, & a light sweater covered all of our needs. You may want to water-proof your shoes. Spray bottle from any sporting goods store, or Pro Bass, Cabela's, etc.

Many will not agree with me on this... We each took a pair of rain pants. The type that just fit over whatever you are wearing. Could have used them if it rained, however we did not. Best use was as a wind-breaker. Very nice to have on when on the deck to observe the glaciers, during our whale-watching excursion, & Kenai Peninsula Boat Tour. This allowed us much more time on deck to take photos & remain comfortable. Also a good pair of gloves & a wool-blend type ski cap to keep your ears & head warm. Typically I carry a small backpack with me everywhere. This gives me a place to store items not in use & any additional camera equipment. Also we used binoculars a lot on this trip...

Happy Travels, John

I was wondering if I needed to bring my big winter coat..

No, please don't. That's what it means to layer - not taking one heavy garment which will only frustrate you. You are going in late Spring, remember - it's probably not going to be lower than 40 F. and could very well be 70 F! Throw some shorts and t-shirts in your suitcase too - - yes, really. :)