Gold Rope Chain - Ventura

Bav

My question is: on longer cruises do they change the tat, or still wheel the same tat out every night with different *tantalising* offers? [emoji23]

They wheel the same tat out every ship and every cruise and have done for years. The worst ones are when they have a handbag sale or the clearance clothes sales. Its like jumble sale.

So many people get large amounts of on board credit when buying their cruise.....one couple on our recent cruise had £1500 to spend!......if one doesn't drink alcohol, or use the spa, one needs to use it or lose it!! I have bought a Fossil watch, a moving globe and a couple of cheap Sekonda watches, all to use up on board spends!!

Yes, how do people manage to get all this on board credit? I would love to know as we have never managed anywhere near that amount. £300 between us is the most we have ever managed and that was only because £150 of it was forces credit.

I did buy a pair of "fit flops" last year and saved a few quid...but most of the stiff isnt worth buying. Was also eyeing up a Radley bag this year on Oriana saving the tax/duty (about £20) ...decided against it in the end , and have now bought it at home in the sale...and saved £100.....:D

I suspect Radley make a range specially for cruise ships etc. Never seen a bag on board that has ever been displayed ashore.

David.

My wife bought a cheap watch and necklace set for £15 on board knowing that it wouldn't last long, and sure enough it didn't.

Funny thing though, we saw exactly the same set in a charity shop a couple of months later selling for £20.

I like to think the charity got the money for it.

I suspect Radley make a range specially for cruise ships etc. Never seen a bag on board that has ever been displayed ashore.

David.

I would have agreed with you until this summer. They actually had some of Radleys current bags on Oriana in June but that is the first time I have seen them be this up to date.

They wheel the same tat out every ship and every cruise and have done for years. The worst ones are when they have a handbag sale or the clearance clothes sales. Its like jumble sale.

I have to say I agree with you there, we often say " Same tat different ship"

It is possible to buy good quality items on ships at a reasonable price but the buyer has to know exactly what they are buying and what it would cost to buy elsewhere.

My wife and I have each at some point bought each other a nice watch as a present; in her case I bought her a Dreyfuss, in my case she bought me a Tag Heuer. We both knew what they would cost to buy from a UK jeweller, from the Caribbean (St. Martin), and from Gibraltar (after haggling!).

The on-board price was about 5% higher than the best price we'd seen anywhere - however as we get 10% onboard discount we were getting a very good price indeed.

I agree with many of the previous posters; "inch-of-gold" is indeed just costume jewellery and the quality varies enormously. But some of the solid gold chains from the on-board jewellers are sometimes not expensive, especially after 10% onboard discount.

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

My husband bought a long ''gold'' chain in December and was told that if the colour came off he could get it replaced. Surprise surprise the colour is starting to change but there is nothing on the receipt about changing it or in fact where you can complain. Why are P+O allowed to sell this stuff if they know their customers are going to be disappointed?

Apparently it DOES have a LIFETIME guarantee !! Can be replaced on any of the P&O ships - worth try next time you Cruise:)

Trust me, a jeweller, it is NOT GOLD OR SILVER, but plated rubbish. They can get away with their fancy descriptions enticing you to buy because they are at sea and not controlled by any trade description act. I think it's about time all cruise lines' shops were honest to their customers. We have to be if trading ashore, so,why not at sea.

Me and my wife was on Ventura recently and were walking around the shops remarking that everything in the them was complete tat, we then we came across the gold chain on a rope!! that really was the icing on the cake, I then seemed to have a massive deja vu that I was walking around Wembley market in 1980s 😳

Me and my wife was on Ventura recently and were walking around the shops remarking that everything in the them was complete tat, we then we came across the gold chain on a rope!! that really was the icing on the cake, I then seemed to have a massive deja vu that I was walking around Wembley market in 1980s 😳

Lol I bought a love deep green pencil skirt in the 80s from there and some bootleg cassette tapes :D