Escape Ropes Course - How High?

taffy12

Silly question: does anyone know how high the ropes course on Escape is? I conquered it a couple of weeks ago (woo-hoo!) and I'm just curious how far from the water the planks and ziplines really are!

I couldn't find an exact height, but let's say its equivalent to deck 17. Deck 3 is usually waterline, so 15 decks at an average of 11 foot per deck puts it in the area of 165 feet above the water.

I couldn't find an exact height, but let's say its equivalent to deck 17. Deck 3 is usually waterline, so 15 decks at an average of 11 foot per deck puts it in the area of 165 feet above the water.

I thought it started lower and the plank was on level 2. In that case, add about 40 feet to my prior estimate.

In other words. It's tall.

It sure is. I was just going by the deck plans on NCL. Too high actually for this chicken. Not a fan of heights.

OK, i'm going to ask a question that may seem dumb. I know on the ropes course you strapped into a harness, but what happens if you slip/fall off the thing you are walking on? Do you just hang there? Do you drop 10 feet? Just haven't heard from anyone who slipped...

OK, i'm going to ask a question that may seem dumb. I know on the ropes course you strapped into a harness, but what happens if you slip/fall off the thing you are walking on? Do you just hang there? Do you drop 10 feet? Just haven't heard from anyone who slipped...

That's a good question. I've been wondering the same thing. I have a fear of heights, but I really want to conquer the ropes course and the plank.

Can anyone answer this question for us?

There's a good deal of slack so you'd fall a bit, but certainly not ten feet! I'd guess it would probably just be akin to slipping and falling to the ground - no farther than that. We did the course three times though, and never saw anybody slip. I asked one of the people running it if anyone ever falls, and they said the only people that ever do are kids that are rough housing.

That's a good question. I've been wondering the same thing. I have a fear of heights, but I really want to conquer the ropes course and the plank.

Can anyone answer this question for us?

Conquer it! I don't have a fear of heights so long as I feel secure and, well, the first time we tried the course, I did not! But you learn to trust the harness and your own balance, and your confidence grows the more you do it! The first time I tried the plank, I made it just a couple of steps before I froze and had to back off of it. Very scary. But on the last day of the cruise, I went through the course a couple of times and, in the end, marched right out there, totally confident and full of adrenaline! I do recommend trying the course while in port of you're nervous though. It gets freaking windy up there while at sea and that adds a whole other dimension to the scary factor!

Edited by taffy12

Approx 200 feet seems right, the third level of Escape's ropes course was added in a final stadium (I think just before float out) inside Meyer Werft's large building hall due to the "limited" height of the building hall. Which itself is 75m in height but taking in the roof's support beams and huge overhead crane and the lower door which would probably result in 60-65m effective height when passing the door.

which shows the third level of the ropes course passing the building hall door.

As far as the harnesses go, they are using a hanging track system, which basically means you are on a fixed length cord with a little give into a track which has no give. Basically, depending on weight an height you could drop between 1 and 3 feet on average. Risk is primarily a leg bruise or scrape if you hit the beam below or similar, at which point you can just pull yourself back up and use the rig to stand.

It's a very safe system, you'd have to really try to have a serious fall.