Craft Brews -Alaska Solstice

Pliny the Elder

Did a search and found inconsistent answers, so thought I'd ask.

In the past few sailings did anyone notice if some nice craft brews were available on board? Maybe at CellarMasters? I have seen the list and I'm aware of the Alaska IPA, but was wondering what else maybe available when we sail later this month.

Thanks!

Ron

In the past few sailings did anyone notice if some nice craft brews were available on board? Maybe at CellarMasters? I have seen the list and I'm aware of the Alaska IPA, but was wondering what else maybe available when we sail later this month.

Thanks!

Ron

Just sailed Solstice last week. There was a beer tasting event held at CellarMasters near the end of the cruise but was not covered by any of the drink packages. I believe the waiter I asked said the cost was $16.50.

We sailed Sydney to Honolulu and Cellarmasters is the best place for Craft Beers but all the other bars have some as well. Martini boys got me a few Sierra Nevada's each night and even the somillier in the dining room got me a few frothies that accomodated my tastes.

We were on the May 20th sailing to Alaska and Cellar Masters was definitely the most consistent regarding availability and variety. Every where else was a bit hit or miss. I do believe the Alaskan beers (an IPA, stout and a lager) were available pretty much everywhere. Sierra Nevada is my "go-to" beer (like bud light might be to non craft beer drinkers ;)) and I had a hard time finding it. I found it at the mast grill on the 2nd to last day and there were literally only two in the ice tub. There was a Ranger IPA at the Sunset Bar as well as Leffe.

Thanks!

Ron

By the way, recognizing your screen name - we had a 9 hour layover in Denver on our way to Seattle for the cruise, so took advantage of the new train from DEN to downtown where we discovered a great craft beer bar - my husband was over the moon to find Pliny the Elder on the menu! We can't get it in North Carolina.

By the way, recognizing your screen name - we had a 9 hour layover in Denver on our way to Seattle for the cruise, so took advantage of the new train from DEN to downtown where we discovered a great craft beer bar - my husband was over the moon to find Pliny the Elder on the menu! We can't get it in North Carolina.

Nice! I live 2 1/2 hours from the brewery. It's a rare treat even being so close.

Thanks for the information. I saw on another thread you rented a car in Skagway. Did you find any hidden gems? Did you use a map or guide book, or just hop in the car and hit the road?

Nice! I live 2 1/2 hours from the brewery. It's a rare treat even being so close.

Thanks for the information. I saw on another thread you rented a car in Skagway. Did you find any hidden gems? Did you use a map or guide book, or just hop in the car and hit the road?

Before the trip, I had read a review someone has posted on a blog or something about renting a car in Skagway and driving the South Klondike Highway. It's a beautiful, beautiful drive with lots of great scenic stop offs and photo ops. I found a guide online called Murray's Guide to the South Klondike highway ($5 to download). It more or less follows the path that the White Pass railroad follows. To us - it was a far better option than loading on a big bus/train with the masses, not to mention - the train is like $159 or so pp vs. $142 to rent the car for the day (there were 4 of us). We drove all the way into the town of Carcross in the Yukon Territory (in Canada so passports required!) where we had a great lunch at a cute little spot (and some Yukon craft beers!). Just beyond Carcross is the Emerald Lake and "the world's smallest desert". We saw 2 bears right on the side of the road and 2 bear cubs! Our day in Skagway was a highlight. We made it there and back with time to spare in Skagway - be sure to visit Skagway brewing. They make a great IPA. Oh... and sail away from Skagway provides a GORGEOUS backdrop through the inside passage.

?

We enjoyed the Dog Fish 60 & 90 on the Equinox, but nothing like Pliny or even Jai Alai from Cigar City in Tampa.

ps: do you ever do any trading? Our Yellow Rose from Lone Pint has been said to be as good as Pliny!

EW

1441005688_gas1.jpg.186a7aac9b3739da3f7bcb661c700230.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

We enjoyed the Dog Fish 60 & 90 on the Equinox, but nothing like Pliny or even Jai Alai from Cigar City in Tampa.

ps: do you ever do any trading? Our Yellow Rose from Lone Pint has been said to be as good as Pliny!

EW

I would be very open to trades. I've never done it, but it sounds like fun.

I don't think I'll be up north near Russian River for a few months, but I can let you know when I'm making the trip.

I would be very open to trades. I've never done it, but it sounds like fun.

I don't think I'll be up north near Russian River for a few months, but I can let you know when I'm making the trip.

Only 2 problem with trades, breakage, and the cost to ship, BUT TO GET SOME PLINY! :eek::D

Last Thanksgiving we set up a bottle share on our Roll Call. 4-5-6 brought something and we sat around at sail away and had a great bottle share!

I even got a Firestone Walker 19th Anniv to bring home!

Ron, email me at my screen name @ AOL

Thanks EW

Went to AK several years ago in Sept. Go earlier. Anyhow, most interesting memory was the Alaskan Brewery in Juneau. Read about it in one of my cruise port books. Took City bus there .Free tastings 6 oz special glasses. You can have 6! Mid afternoon all the workers pour in. Who needs a bar? Nice brews too.