First thing after boarding Anthem question

I'm sure there's an obvious answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.

We always get to Bayonne early and are one of the first to board.

I've read that when checking in for the Anthem you don't get your cruise card until you get to your room.

My question is that if you're able to board at 11:00 - 11:30AM and your cabin is not ready until say 1:00PM, how would you go about getting that first, second and third cocktail while perusing the ship and waiting to go to your cabin?

I've purchased the premium package and always enjoy that time right after boarding.

For example, I cruised Liberty out of Bayonne last July for 9 days and boarded at 11:30 with a large group and we went to the first bar we saw and enjoyed a couple of drinks for about an hour before we searched out food at the Windjammer.

As I said previously, I'm sure I'm missing something and there's an easy answer.

Thanks in advance

I have read here that you use your boarding pass until you get to your cabin. However, I do not have personal experience yet.

You are correct, the SetSail pass is scanned for purchases prior to staterooms opening.

Why do they do it this way? Does it make the check in quicker?

I've asked that question myself, because I've checked in less than 5 minutes the old fashioned way many times, so I don't yet understand why the new way is better. I'm thinking one of the executives has stock in Apple because they use roving agents with iPads to check people in.

I think they do it this way because they want to solely utilize the iPad people for check in and it wouldn't be practical for them to hand out cruise cards. They don't know who is going to access which agent. I've never boarded a ship as quickly as the Anthem so whatever they're doing, I think they're doing it right! Also, our rooms were ready much earlier than 1pm. It is very different than the way other cruises operate. And I like it.

As others have correctly said, one uses their SetSail Pass for purchases prior to getting their card. As for the drinks package, I had no problem after boarding Anthem in April. The bartender asked if I had a package but that shouldn't really be necessary as that information is in their computer system. All the receipts I signed were for zero amount.

In regards to having the cards at the cabins, since they have check-in agents scattered about both inside and outside the terminal building there is no way for them to access a central location of cards as is done in other terminals.

Even though check-in was a breeze, there IS a problem with not having your card. We met a couple who accidently entered the wrong room. In their excitement, they switched up a 60 to an 06. The cards are outside your door.

They had unpacked their carry-ons and were having a glass of wine when a loud banging was at their door. They opened the door to find the correct passengers wanting their room.

Your names are on the card...please check before entering!!:eek:

I think they do it this way because they want to solely utilize the iPad people for check in and it wouldn't be practical for them to hand out cruise cards. They don't know who is going to access which agent. I've never boarded a ship as quickly as the Anthem so whatever they're doing, I think they're doing it right! Also, our rooms were ready much earlier than 1pm. It is very different than the way other cruises operate. And I like it.

I totally agree. After dropping off our luggage, we were on the ship in 5 minutes, no long winding lines! On to the first bar, scanned our boarding pass, drink in hand!!! We also had the premium package.

Marg

I'm sure there's an obvious answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.

We always get to Bayonne early and are one of the first to board.

I've read that when checking in for the Anthem you don't get your cruise card until you get to your room.

My question is that if you're able to board at 11:00 - 11:30AM and your cabin is not ready until say 1:00PM, how would you go about getting that first, second and third cocktail while perusing the ship and waiting to go to your cabin?

I've purchased the premium package and always enjoy that time right after boarding.

For example, I cruised Liberty out of Bayonne last July for 9 days and boarded at 11:30 with a large group and we went to the first bar we saw and enjoyed a couple of drinks for about an hour before we searched out food at the Windjammer.

As I said previously, I'm sure I'm missing something and there's an easy answer.

Thanks in advance

We took the boarding pass paper to 270 and we had the three or four cocktails prior to the rooms being accessible. It's all good. Anthem is a beautiful ship. Enjoy your cruise!

We will need extra room keys also. Can we go to Guest Services and request the extra keys prior to going to cabin? Possibly also using SetSail Pass. Boarding early and hoping there would be short lines to get extra keys for our 3 rooms.

We will need extra room keys also. Can we go to Guest Services and request the extra keys prior to going to cabin? Possibly also using SetSail Pass. Boarding early and hoping there would be short lines to get extra keys for our 3 rooms.

If there are 3 in your cabin, you should get 3 cards unless the 3rd person is a child. Guest Services is known to be very crowded on embarkation day. Try later in the evening if the line is long.

Also, our rooms were ready much earlier than 1pm. It is very different than the way other cruises operate. And I like it.

Gives me hope that we won't have to lug around our carry-ons for a couple of hours. Have never arrived before our rooms are ready before, so it will be a new experience if we do. Our early flight time makes that more likely this time.

We just came off the Anthem a couple of weeks ago, our rooms were ready close to 1 PM. By that time our luggage was waiting outside our cabin.

We were able to use our printed Set Sail pass to purchase drinks prior to getting our Sea Pass card.

We too had the drink package, the bartenders see it in the system when they scan your boarding pass or Sea Pass Card. Had no trouble getting drinks prior to getting our Sea Pass Card. We did not have a sticker on our card nor did we need one.

BTY we arrived at the pier 10:45 and were on the ship by 11:15.

Enjoy your cruise!