Cruise Suggestions for mother/daughter get away

UKWildcats

Hi everyone. My mother and I are thinking of going on a 7 day cruise this year without the family in tow. She's 55 and I'm 23. Any suggestions on what would be the best cruise line to offer us each something? Some have suggested disney, but that seems to oriented to small children -- or am I missing something? Others have suggested royal caribbean or holland. I'm just at a loss as to which line would be best. Would appreciate any and all insight that you could provide. thanks.

Personally it would depend on what exactly you are looking for in a cruise. I'm taking my own mother on a RCI cruise this December. If you choose a cruise that is not during a traditional school vacation time you are less likely to have lots of kids. Late January, early February are good times, so is early December.

For me RCI has lots to do, lots of sports activities if you want to stay active, lots of quiet activities if you don't. Adults only solariums and alternative restaurants for quiet adult time, but there is still the main pool area for fun pool games.

Thanks. I realize I was a little vague. I want great shore excursions a gym, nice spa for some pedis, manis and facials (even over priced ones at that) decent pool area for adults and entertainment. I just don't want to feel that I'm captive on a crusie full of grandparents nor do i want to feel that I needed to have my brother and his 3 kids along to fit the passenger mold. Unfortunately as i am in graduate school, we will be going at times when school is out. So I think a cruise line that actually manages to have adult only areas would be key?

I agree with WRP96 - I cruised RCCL with my family earlier this year and I am going with my mom in November and leaving DH, DD, DS behind and going again on RCCL. I think they have enough activities/gym and adult only area that you would be happy with Royal Caribbean. They have a nice spa area as well. I have only been on one cruise so I don't have anything to compare to the other lines but we were happy. Anything else let me know!!

What fun for you both! I've cruised when I was your age, and now I'm older than your mother, and I've been on four different lines. I prefer Carnival. Not only are the cabins the largest in the industry, but there is something for all ages. I do NOT cruise when schools are out for holidays, or during the summer months. I love kiddies, but not while I'm relaxing on a vacation at sea. Check into the different Carnival ship and their itineraries. Always something fun going on while on a Carnival cruise....or nothing at all if you prefer a quiet area with a book. They also have some good excursions, although I always do a little homework before any cruise, decide what I want to do on an island, and grab a cab. It's much less expensive to do your own excursion. Have fun, you two!

As you can see there are many different answers to your question. So here is my opinion.....

First you have to realize that not all Royal Carib ships are alike, and the same goes for every cruiseline. From my point of view I think you would do well on either Princess or Royal Carib, with the edge to Princess.

Whichever ship you decide I know you will have a great time. I did a mother/daughter cruise in June and I'm doing another one in Jan. They are very special...........enjoy yours!:)

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm going back and forth between the Caribbean Princess or one of the voyger class ships. Any experiences that you can share? I think we would be going the second week of may (once my finals are over) so perhaps we could miss the huge throng of kids that would be standard the later part of may-sept?

Ican't speak to the Caribbean Princess but I did a cruise on Voyager of the Seas the 3rd week of May a couple of years ago right after I graduated from college. There were children but they did not overwhelm you. In fact there were as many honeymooners on the ship as there were kids.

I've never felt crowded on the Voyager. When I want to just lay out quietly, I either go to the adults only solarium pool or sit and read on the promenade deck. The spa's are wonderful (but expensive like all ships). I usually make a point of it to go get a massage at least once a trip. My best friend climbed the rock wall while I took pictures. We played mini golf. We danced in the disco. We ate in Portofino's, the adults only restaurant. We did the Quest (don't miss this if you go).

I've done both the Eastern and Western Caribbean on the Voyager. RCI offers a variety of shore excursions in all ports or you can just go off on your own. Plus I love RCI's private islands, although I prefer Labadee (actually a peninsula). They make for uncrowded beach days with lots of activities or the option just to lay in the sun.

Cruising alternatives depend on where you live. NY has great year round caribbean cruises on NCL Dawn and Spirit that I highly recommend. We sailed the Dawn last December and loved the 10 different restaurants, the movie theater, the entertainment, and the hot tubs and pool areas. We left NY 45 degrees and awoke in the gulf stream to 70 degrees. It is great cruising when you don't have to fly anywhere. A ten day cruise is the same price as a 7 day when you add in flying, transfers, hotels, etc.

I like Norwegian's freestyle dining for two people because you can eat anytime at any venue from formal to casual and enjoy dining at a table for 2 or sharing a table for 6 with other guests. NCL Dawn had a fantastic band performing in their main lounge every night. Best ever. Great theater performances each night as well.

Royal Caribbean is also a nice treat if you like eating in the same dining room, sitting with the same guests at the same table, and eating at the same time each evening. Some people prefer that traditional style of dining. I guess you won't know until you try different cruiselines.

You may also enjoy Carnival as well. They have fun things like kareoke every night, as well as 24 hour pizza and ice cream. WE like all three cruiselines for different reasons. You can't go wrong with any of them. Find a great cruise and enjoy your trip together. Whether you choose a balcony or an inside cabin, the most fun is on the pool deck and in ports.

Have fun together and take lots of pictures.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

One word for ya.. "Carnival"

Why? I've done Carnival cruises with a bunch of kids my age once in highschool twice in undergrad. It doesn't exactly impress me as great service or my mom's speed. She's into anything outdoorsy or adventureous but not into the gambling/party scene. She's been on three cruises (celebrity and disney lines). Loved those. I just fear a carnival cruise wouldn't be as enjoyable for her.

You might enjoy Holland America's Zuiderdam on the Western Caribbean route. The ship has a good mix of ages, but still remains more of a "grownup" atmosphere. The cabins are good sized and the ship is known for its spaciousness. The western caribbean offers many active excursions. I did this cruise with my daughter and her girlfriend and we had a blast.

I would ensure that I goon one of the newer ships in any fo the cruiselines except Disney. The larger ships have better spas and gyms then the smaller ones. I personally like Priness and RCCL. Both have good products. I also agree to go when kids are in school. Dine in an Alternet Rest one night. Enjoy the spa (in some cases you can pre-bbok this so you do not get sticker shock on cruise).

i would also try to find an experienced TA. Also go to the Royal caribbean thread and ask which ship they suggest.

I am 50 and love Celebrity, but it can be an older crowd but i love the spas, the no children thallo pool, the spa cuisine.... and i have always found great people via the cruise critic to enjoy and party with. I also like the fact that i can always use a hot tub, they are never totally filled. Went on Royal once, in Feb and it was sooo crowded, could never get in the pool or hot tub without bumping elbows. That being said- i have heard so many love Royal-i believe we just " had one of those weeks "I think going on the Royal thread might really help

Enjoy your cruise. I have a husband and 4 children but i have cruised 3 different times with my aunt. And we have had a ball. obviously she is older then me and yet we were up till 1a.m. every evening and enjoyed everything. I look forward to one day going on a cruise with my 3 daughters. Enjoy that precious time with your mom

Archived