Grand Cayman or Cozumel

macaroni

If you are a somewhat experienced snorkler I recommend cemetery beach in Cayman. It's a short cab or bus ride. Cemetery reef is swimming distance from the beach and is very healthy. The beach has plenty of shade but there's nothing there. No chairs, restrooms, bars or people.

Money Bar was, to me, underwhelming from a snorkeling perspective. The business itself is very good but the snorkeling, for me and my group, was just average. I think there may be better snorkeling excursion options in Cozumel. I'd go with one of those and do Cemetary Reef in Cayman. As always YMMV.

I would agree. Do the shore snorkeling in Cayman (Eden Rock is awesome) and the Cat snorkeling in Cozumel. The reefs close to shore in Cozumel are pretty messed up from traffic. They used to be nice, but I don't even snorkel there any longer (and I LOVE to snorkel).

Grand Cayman shore snorkeling trumps Cozumel by a mile. If you head out deeper with a Cat in Cozumel you might get some better sea life.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

sounds good...Is Eden Rock a hard snorkel...we will be with beginners....

It's a bit of a swim, maybe 100 yards out, and it's a deep (tall) reef, so it's pretty cool to see. I'd be sure they have fins and a floatation vest. Best thing is that they can get used to snorkeling right at the shore (it's iron shore, so plenty to see for a beginner) and if they feel confident enough, head out to the reef. We enjoyed swimming around the shoreline quite a bit.

Our last foray was at Paradise Grill (right next to Eden Rock) where they have steps into the water, and they feed the tarpon. Just swimming with those critters is pretty cool for a beginner.