Check or carry on?

Buckimion

I will be using my own scooter for a first cruise (Carnival) in the near future. In addition to numerous meds and supplies such as catheters, I will also have to pack a battery charger for the scooter.

To avoid lugging the luggage :rolleyes:, can I check any or all of the above, keeping anything critical for the first day on my person or scooter seat pouch? I would enclose copies of my medications from my provider, as well as having a copy in a folio with other paperwork.

If certain things such as the charger must be carried on, how is that handled?

I never check anything that is medical. I have had luggage go missing and not show up for days. Since missing medical equipment would ruin my vacation it never leaves my sight.

I will be using my own scooter for a first cruise (Carnival) in the near future. In addition to numerous meds and supplies such as catheters, I will also have to pack a battery charger for the scooter.

To avoid lugging the luggage :rolleyes:, can I check any or all of the above, keeping anything critical for the first day on my person or scooter seat pouch? I would enclose copies of my medications from my provider, as well as having a copy in a folio with other paperwork.

Never, never, never check any kind of medical equipment or medications. Carry on anything that is critical, not just what is critical for the first day. What would you do if they were lost?

How is it handled? The same as any other carry on. Put is all in a bag (or multiple small bags) and put it on your scooter somehow. DH can usually drape one bag across the back of the seat and put one on the deck between his legs. Most scooters also have a basket.

Edited by Schoifmom

I would enclose copies of my medications from my provider, as well as having a copy in a folio with other paperwork.

We carry on our actual meds. Having a copy of them from a provider would mean nothing - if the ship doesn't have them. The pharmacy on board is pretty limited.

As to your charger - that is something we always have in a carry on bag. Luggage doesn't often go into the water - but it does happen. Not as often as bags getting lost/misplaced, but we won't risk not having a charger due to that either.

If for some reason I couldn't take DH's carry on bag, he would either put it under his scooter seat or roll it beside him as he drove his scooter on board. He would NEVER risk his meds or charger to the longshoremen getting that bag on the ship AND to the crew delivering them to the correct cabin. I've read about someone having an 'extra' bag delivered to their cabin and they didn't even notice until the end of the cruise. Not taking a chance on that!

We carry on our actual meds. Having a copy of them from a provider would mean nothing - if the ship doesn't have them. The pharmacy on board is pretty limited...

...As to your charger - that is something we always have in a carry on bag.

I carry a printed copy of all of my medications, not to have them filled, but to prove that they are required. I've run into flights where they questioned some of what I've taken. (Nothing like pot if that crossed anyone's mind. I have to pack a mix of tea and baking soda to maintain a particular blood acid level and actually have a prescription for it. Some of my blood pressure meds have also triggered "sniffers" at the airport and it helps to have that list.)

The charger is the one thing in particular that I would prefer to check, but suppose I'll have to hang onto it in the carry on. While I hear occasional stories, I have a lot more confidence in things going right than wrong.

As above. While we gate checked wheelchair, shower/commode chair, and mobile lift, we never checked as regular luggage, and we never checked our bag(s) with catheters, meds, bowel care supplies, Chux, baby wipes, etc. Carry on only (and don't count as part of your carry-on allowance as long as the bag has ONLY medical/health care supplies in it). If you have a wheelchair or scooter back pack, also remove that before gate checking the mobility device, and carry that onto the plane with you.

Going home we nearly always are able to fold up the duffle bag above and put into one of the checked suitcases, since we will have used up all by the last few items in the medical bag. We have even donated unused Chux to the ship's hospital; they were always happy to take them off our hands and then we don't have to try to fit them into our suitcases.

I agree with all of the other posters who say never check anything medical. Pay a sky cab or porter to help you if needed. These are not held against you as carry-on luggage, so you won't pay a fee to the airlines for them.

Also, be sure to label all of the individual PARTS of your scooter/charger/etc. with your contact information in case it gets disassembled at gate check.

• 1 month later...

Always keep your charger with you if it gets lost u are done for u won't be able to just buy another. Once your battery is dead there is nothing u can do with out it and they are not one size fits all.