Packing/weather question

cruisegal415

I think only someone who lives in a generally hot climate can appreciate this question.

We are from South Florida, and while it's not hot 100% of the time, when it gets below 70 we tend to pull out our boots and sweaters.

We've only done Caribbean cruises to tropical climates so packing cruise wear meant packing tropical sun dresses and for evening, those long dresses that expose the arms and neck.

Checking the weather for our Mediterranean cruise coming up, while the days may be warm, we are mindful of dressing appropriately for visiting churches and cathedrals.

What I am struggling with is what to pack for dinners and nights while in Rome for three days pre-cruise when it's supposed to be in the 60's and for dinners and nights on the Riviera during the cruise where the port temperatures are also showing it will be cool (to us, cold).

I think I know what country club casual looks like, but country club casual here in south Florida when the temperatures are in the mid to upper sixties is very different than I imagined what I would wear on a cruise. Obviously I will bring a pretty jacket or nice swearer and wrap, but surely I'm still dressing for spring and not winter??

What type of outfits do you advise me to bring? What do ladies wear on a cruise at night in the Med where temperatures are cooler in June?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I grew up in Florida, so have a sense of what you are asking. I layered a sweater or a wrap over my dress or blouse in the evenings and had no problems with cold. I did head back to the cabin during dinner one night to collect a wrap for Mom as we were sitting under a vent. The evening temps in the Mediterranean in May were refreshing compared to the 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity I returned to.

Cheers, K

I think only someone who lives in a generally hot climate can appreciate this question.

We are from South Florida, and while it's not hot 100% of the time, when it gets below 70 we tend to pull out our boots and sweaters.

We've only done Caribbean cruises to tropical climates so packing cruise wear meant packing tropical sun dresses and for evening, those long dresses that expose the arms and neck.

Checking the weather for our Mediterranean cruise coming up, while the days may be warm, we are mindful of dressing appropriately for visiting churches and cathedrals.

What I am struggling with is what to pack for dinners and nights while in Rome for three days pre-cruise when it's supposed to be in the 60's and for dinners and nights on the Riviera during the cruise where the port temperatures are also showing it will be cool (to us, cold).

I think I know what country club casual looks like, but country club casual here in south Florida when the temperatures are in the mid to upper sixties is very different than I imagined what I would wear on a cruise. Obviously I will bring a pretty jacket or nice swearer and wrap, but surely I'm still dressing for spring and not winter??

What type of outfits do you advise me to bring? What do ladies wear on a cruise at night in the Med where temperatures are cooler in June?

Thanks!

We were on the Riviera on a TA in April. The weather was cool for the most part. My evening choices were light weight sweater sets and 3/4 sleeve jackets with camis or tanks. These you may have in your wardrobe and I've worn them in the Caribbean. I also had some slightly more cooler weather tops but just about anything goes in the evening (weight wise, that is).

What you may find on board is that the air conditioning makes you feel cold so a pashmina or light cardigan can be handy. If you have a pretty jacket and a nice sweater and you add a cashmere pashmina you will have enough layers to keep you warm and should the weather in Rome turn cool you can use the pashmina as a scarf instead of a wrap.

One item I would advise is a lightweight folding raincoat that you can keep in your bag if sudden sharp showers are forecast while you are out and about touring.

Thanks!

We will be on a cruise in Iceland in mid July. I know the regimen for excursions ..LAYERS. What would you advise for dinner on the ship(for men and women). Would summer "cruise wear" be appropriate (with a "cover-up") as we don't really have to be outside.? I know it can be chilly from A/C in the dining venues...but that goes for a cruise anywhere.

Thanks