Singles & Solos Meet

I am wondering why being male makes it different though?

Your guess is as good as mine. Try being male and in your late 20s. That's the boat I was in when I had my experience with the singles and solos meet. I actually told myself I would never do another cruise solo again, so thankfully my girlfriend was more than happy to oblige when I gave her travel documents for her birthday this year.

I've taken a few solo cruises but never went to any of these events. I just figured they would be mostly single women looking for men. Not the scene I would be looking for.

Please don't let the idea that the women are all looking for men stop you. I am a single female who is looking for nothing more than some interesting people to meet. In my experience there are those female on the prowl but they are fairly far and few between. Most of the singles are pretty comfortable with being single and really just like to meet new friends. I for one like meeting anyone with an interesting and easy going way. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband used to say it's better to be lucky than good and the longer I live the more I believe that! Third trip to Alaska and the weather was (once again) wonderful. On top of that, the 'Solos & Singles' get togethers were totally pleasant!!!

The first event was in the evening on embarkation day. A trivia game held in one of the lounges had a special seating area for solos and singles. There were only 6 or 7 of us there, but we had a blast and several of us dined together and met for drinks throughout the rest of the trip.

The second event was a luncheon. Eight of us attended and we (again) had a nice time.

The crowd was pretty diverse, too. I'm not good at guessing ages, but I'd say the youngest was 25 and the oldest 75. Most were in the 55-60 age range. Most were west-coast residents, though one was from England. Based on what I heard, there were as many divorceés as widows.

Anyway, I'm glad I went and would do it again. Can't say I've made new lifelong friends, but we did take pictures together and exchange emails with a few.

SandS.jpg.1beb50fe7ee63dfcf7f57820146d794c.jpg

Female friend from work early 60's on Med cruise met man at event. Had no romantic issues, felt safer having man with her on port excursions. Said she could dress a bit more comfortably, hot quite sure what that meant. The overall experience worked well.

Thanks for coming back with an update. It sounds like it was pretty successful and provided some variety of company and alone time if wished.

Did you elect to use the dining room for any time dining on your own - either at a table for one, or to a table willing to share (not with your solo buddies)?

Thanks for coming back with an update. It sounds like it was pretty successful and provided some variety of company and alone time if wished.

Did you elect to use the dining room for any time dining on your own - either at a table for one, or to a table willing to share (not with your solo buddies)?

No problem reporing back -- and glad to share good news.

Only went to the MDR once by myself. Asked to sit with a group by a window...they put me at a table for 8 kind of close to a wall with a bit of a view. I waited awhile, got no service or tablemates so I went to Lido because I had plans that night.

Overall, I thought the MDR was unimpressive, so this didn't surprise me. Especially since dining on Holland (I think) has always been its downfall.

Oh my, cavecreekguy, how sad this makes me for you.

Why? I have a great time on my solo cruises. I don't need a singles event to meet people.

And I noticed that the photo you posted is all women and one guy.

Edited by cavecreekguy

Why? I have a great time on my solo cruises. I don't need a singles event to meet people.

And I noticed that the photo you posted is all women and one guy.

Makes me sad how you judge without reason: you've never been, yet you know it's not what you're looking for because you assume you know what happens.

Yes, it was mostly women at our get togethers, but I wonder how you'd explain our returning to enjoy each other's company multiply times....with no men to chase?

Sad

Makes me sad how you judge without reason: you've never been, yet you know it's not what you're looking for because you assume you know what happens.

Yes, it was mostly women at our get togethers, but I wonder how you'd explain our returning to enjoy each other's company multiply times....with no men to chase?

Sad

If I gave you the impression that I thought the only reason women were attending was to find a man then I gave you the wrong impression. I apologize.

I don't need to explain why you and others returned. You did so yourself. You enjoyed the company.

Part of the reason I'm reading the posts on Cruise Critic is to learn about other people's experiences so I don't waste my time or money going to activities or ports or on excursions that I don't think will interest me. Isn't learning about these events why you started this thread in the first place? The posts on this thread only reinforced to me that these events don't interest me. I've been the only rooster at a hen party many, many times. Mostly at work. When I go on a cruise that's just not what I'm looking for.

Edited by cavecreekguy

If I gave you the impression that I thought the only reason women were attending was to find a man then I gave you the wrong impression. I apologize.

I don't need to explain why you and others returned. You did so yourself. You enjoyed the company.

Part of the reason I'm reading the posts on Cruise Critic is to learn about other people's experiences so I don't waste my time or money going to activities or ports or on excursions that I don't think will interest me. Isn't learning about these events why you started this thread in the first place? The posts on this thread only reinforced to me that these events don't interest me. I've been the only rooster at a hen party many, many times. Mostly at work. When I go on a cruise that's just not what I'm looking for.

Was exactly the statement you made, but no need for an apology.

You say you come here to learn from other's experiences, but your only comment was to make a statement about something you've not done, based only on assumption or, I guess, based on hen parties off ship.

I take what I can from opinion posts and then find out for myself. That's how I try to learn.

I've been to a few of these meetings. The luncheon on the second day is usually better attended than the evening get together after embarkation.

Always surprises me to see couples attend who are obviously not single nor are they solo. Maybe the free drinks...

I've been to a few of these meetings. The luncheon on the second day is usually better attended than the evening get together after embarkation.

Always surprises me to see couples attend who are obviously not single nor are they solo. Maybe the free drinks...

We were offered champagned at the trivia night get together, but nothing during lunch. Guess it depends on the host.

Actually had a brother and sister attend the luncheon. They were onboard for a family reunion and both were newly single.

I'd definitely try it again.