Overnight Cruise Stop in Kauai

astridwilson

We will be on the NCL Pride of America in late August with an overnight stop in Kauai. The first day arrival is 8AM. The second day departure is 2PM. We were thinking of driving the Waimea Canyon State Park & Kokee State Park Drive. Per Google Maps Kauai (LIH) Round trip to Kalalau Lookout is about 3 hours of just driving so if you add a few hours for stops and an hour for lunch at the lodge. This is a 6 hour day. Yes??

I want to snorkel on the second day but because the day is short and it seems there is no convenient overnight parking we are turning in the car on the first day.

So where do we snorkel on the second day.

Also if you ONLY had a day and ½ in Kauai. Is this the Best plan?

We Love Love the water. We are certified divers but also Love to Snorkel.

Keep in mind that the cruise ship does a cruise by of the Napli Coast.

We will be on the NCL Pride of America in late August with an overnight stop in Kauai. The first day arrival is 8AM.

I think POA's arrival is 10 a.m. for Kauai. I think you should be OK though with the plans that you've outlined for day 1.

It will probably be difficult to snorkel on day 2 without a car ... there's a beach not far from the port (Kalapaki) but it's not good for snorkelling.

Does the ship offer any excursions of interest for day 2?

I'll preface my comments by saying that we're not into snorkeling, but you might want to take a cab over to Poipu Beach. Have heard that there is some decent snorkeling in that area.

Agree that Poipu would be a good choice ... we liked Lawai Beach there as well for snorkelling. Return fare for a cab will likely be well in excess of $100 ... maybe worth keeping the car.

p.s. I just noticed your thread on the Kauai Tripadvisor forum ... I like the suggestions there to do the north shore on day 1 (with snorkelling) and Waimea Canyon on day 2 (with an early start), if you decide to keep the car for both days.

Edited by Susan-M

The arrival time for Kauai is 10 am, but your Waimea Canyon plans would work on day one. It really does not matter what time you return to the ship as it's an overnight, so I would plan on a nice long day. I think you may spend less time at the canyon than you think. You could skip lunch in the canyon ( I've never even heard about lunch in the canyon ) and head down to the Poipu beach area for lunch and snorkeling. There are some very nice places for lunch or sunset dinners.

We have never kept a car overnight in Kauai, but it appears most POA cruisers who keep cars overnight park them in a pay lot near Anchor Cove shopping mall which fronts Kalapaki Bay and beach. It is an easy 10 minute walk along sidewalks from the ship. Two shuttles run from the ship to the shopping areas but I don't know how early they start. I doubt they run past 5:00 pm. I believe the overnight parking charge is about $20, but I have seen many reports that those who come back late and leave early never see anyone to collect the money. The snorkeling may not be good at Kalapaki, but the beach is shaded and the waters calm. Nice Dukes restaurant there beachfront at the Mariott for lunch, dinner or drinks.

Keeping the car overnight would allow you to head out very early on day two to the Northshore or wherever you decide to go.

We kept our car overnight. There is some street parking about a five minute walk from the ship. We actually parked at a gym parking lot just up the street on your left, again about a five minute walk.

The ship leaves at 2 for the NaPali Coast but you don't actually get there until about 5.

Agree about skipping lunch 'at the lodge' - afraid you'll be very disappointed. Kokee is more a starting point for hiking and tent camping - the canyon is the real draw for day visitors. I'm not sure they even serve meals, as the 'lodging' is rustic cabins with kitchens. Instead head to Poipu and have lunch at the Beach House, near Lawai Beach. It's our favorite restaurant anywhere in the world (so far!) - more so at sunset, but lunch is still great.