Tips

We usually prepay so that it is one less thing to take care of. We also give extra cash, but if someone was not very good we don't give them any extra. We still leave the "required" tips in place since they are divided among many workers.

Speaking on behalf of all passengers whose domestic currency is not the USD, the decision on when to pay can be influenced by the direction of currency exchange rates. I purchased a good amount of OBC many months ago, when exchange rates were much more favourable, to cover gratuities and other anticipated onboard expenses.

I recently found this on the UK site,

prepaying in £ upfront worked out quite a saving compared with using the days exchange rate

They still get the same $ but it was cheaper to prepay in £

it won't always be the case , best to do the math first ( if buying using Non US booking)

I pay my tips when I am paying for the trip as I feel is this money is to pay the wages of the people (a lot of who we never get to see) - eg the person who feeds the washing machines and is part and parcel of the cost of the holiday - ie not in my mind a "tip", as I see it.

What I also do, is when I get a drink on my package I always tip the server $1. this ensures that trip to the bar shows up on my tv screen in my room, and it helps me monitor the amount I drink. its quite a shock when you see you have had 20 drinks in a day:eek:

Finally, the special people that I see every day who make me feel like a special VIP - they get pictures of presidents too on the last night.

Some of You have paid gratuities at the end of cruise? Thanks

I'm not clear on the question, however ...

We never pre-pay the gratuities. No reason...just have it added to our account at the end of the cruise. :)

... I do the same thing as Champagne123. If I feel the person deserves more, then I add some cash to the envelope with the voucher that shows that I have charged the normal gratuities to my onboard account.

Today's cruisers don't even have to extend a "thank you" to those who have served them....it's all done automatically.

Gratuities are automatic, but I can still extend a "thank you." :cool:

I'm not clear on the question, however ...

... I do the same thing as Champagne123. If I feel the person deserves more, then I add some cash to the envelope with the voucher that shows that I have charged the normal gratuities to my onboard account.

I think it's been something like ten years or more since they gave out vouchers to show that you had charged your gratuities to your on-board account.

I think it's been something like ten years or more since they gave out vouchers to show that you had charged your gratuities to your on-board account.

I was on the Liberty in April and I know I put something in the envelope beside just cash. Maybe it was a Post-It note. I really don't recall.

If I have don't have OBC, I prepay. If I do, I let my gratuities post on my shipboard account so the OBC takes care of some of it. Bottom line is I want the lowest possible total on my account to hit my eyes and my credit card the last morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If I have don't have OBC, I prepay. If I do, I let my gratuities post on my shipboard account so the OBC takes care of some of it. Bottom line is I want the lowest possible total on my account to hit my eyes and my credit card the last morning.

I'm sort of the opposite - not in the sense of wanting to see a big bill at the end, but I prefer to hang on to my money as long as possible, so I'd rather pay for it after the cruise than before.