Snuba Question- Can I do it?

ShamrockFL

In the midst of Wilma. can someone take a few minutes and give me a brief explanation of some aspects of snuba. I understand that it's similar to snorkelling but with an air hose so that you can go down deeper like scuba (but no tank and not as deep). I can swim, but not for a lengthy period. I like snorkelling and can do that because of having a life vest to stay afloat. How does this work with snuba? Do you not have a vest because it would impede you descending, or do you take it off and on and leave it on the surface to come back to?. There is no way I could continue to swim for say, 30 minutes without the vest, (and I'm sure a lot of people couldn't) but would like to try snuba. Is this "doable"?:confused:

No you will not have a vest and in fact they will add a weight belt to you to keep you down. You'll descend about 20 ft and swim underwater for approx 15-20 minutes depending on the tour operator. We went with Mayan Paradise Tours and the Snuba guide was excellent he spent extra time working with my Sister to get her ears equalized. With Mayan Paradise you'll also get the chance to snorkel at two other locations as well.

I would give you the same advice I give my wife when she's unsure about excursions I pick. Give it a try and if you don't like it get back in the boat and have a margarita til your party finishes the snuba adventure. Even if you have to get back in the boat it's better than getting home and wishing you had tried it.

C

I would give you the same advice I give my wife when she's unsure about excursions I pick. Give it a try and if you don't like it get back in the boat and have a margarita til your party finishes the snuba adventure. Even if you have to get back in the boat it's better than getting home and wishing you had tried it. C

Now I like your way of thinking Train, and if that margarita wasn't going to cost me, what is it $45, or maybe more, I may give it a shot. Any more encouraging responses. This one doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Is a helmet dive any better option for someone with inhibtions about staying afloat for half an hour or better? This really sounds like I couldn't snuba. But I'd really like to - is there any way around it?

Maybe I'm being confused by the actual lack of need to stay afloat, whereas it seems like you really want to accomplish the opposite. Sinking shouldn't be a problem for me especially after the first ten minutes!!!. Get my drift???? Am I getting my concern across properly- like about drowning!! - not just my ears being equalized, and am I being overly concerned.?

I have done Snuba in St John last year, and will do it again in Cozumel (maybe-depending on Wilma) at Chankanaab Park next month. I am not a swimmer-I mean- I can swim, but who would want too???? I like to snorkel, yet sometimes have a little panic at first. I certified in diving with my husband 25 years ago but chose not to do it due to panic. So, thats my background. Snuba is pretty easy. You will not have a vest, and you will have weights added. These will keep you at a hovering height underwater. The "swimming" is easy because it's just a little flip of your legs with fins. I don't consider it swimming at all. (take my word for it). And you dont' have to make headway-you are just taking in the sights. It is not a race.

I did have a little panic last time at the beginning..the thought of putting on weights and having me just sink:eek: But it's not like that. I am choosing to do it at the park, though, because I would rather the beach entrance rather than flipping off the boat. So my family has to put up with me and my "issues' on that decision. What we loose out on is the snorkeling at 2 other sites in addition, and that IS too bad. Please ask more questions if you want to. I liked it better than snorkeling because of not having the tank on you.

I just re-read your last post. I would never helmet dive because of claustrophobia. I too feel like I need to float, so after I am down for a minute or two, I feel like I should panic. Once I get past that, the snuba was easy. This was easy to do by starting at the beach and swimming off from shore and then just gradually getting deeper without knowing it.

Thanks Sparky. Now we're talking. Someone who understands me!! I like the suggestion of doing it at Chankanaab for the same reasons - if it still exists in December!! Any other encouraging comments will be greatly appreciated. Of course the fact that you qualified for scuba takes you out of my league. Actually we were going to go to Paradise Beach - is that the same arrangement, i.e. walk into the water? Anyone have a preference between the two locations? Any encouraging "social" swimmers out there who have done this and are willing to reassure a chicken. I really want to.

I qualified for scuba 26 years ago-and then never went...had to try to impress the then fiance, now husband! I hear that snuba at Paradise beach doesn't have nearly as much to see as the park, but you have to pay admission to the park ($12/person). At St. John we had a beautiful walk in beach , which is what it looks like at Chankanob. It eases my "fears" to do it that way. Plus, at first, if you get "wiggy", you can just stand up!

OK-so it worked for me to sit under the water at like 4 ft deep with the regulator in my mouth, and just breathe. When I was comnfortable, i just kinda swam off. Sitting there helped me alot. My daughter sat with me. Then off we went:o

I have been considering snuba also- but kind of chicken! Panic is an issue for a few minutes each time I snorkel now- getting older- and I KNOW it goes away!

But concerned that with snuba you have to keep up with the group and follow the leader type tour. Is this true? Would worry that if that uncomfortable feeling dosen't go away and I start breathing heavy I wouldn't be able to say "I QUIT! - time for a cocktail!!!" lol!

Thanks for all the info!!!

Sue

Depends on when you're going Sue, we may be able to say I Quit together. Radiance 12/11/05. I also like Sparky's idea of sitting in 4ft of water. I could stay there. The heck with the leader of the pack - they could pick me up on the way back. Much deeper and I could get "wiggy" real easy! This sounds much better than jumping off a boat in the middle of nowhere. Richard

Hi guys-the sitting in the water worked for me. We were supposed to "lay" in the water hovering at around 2 ft in 4 ft of water. I did that and then was ...:eek: ..time for air...and I stood up. For some reason sitting there felt normal-not in a swim postition???:rolleyes: I also let the company know before hand that I may bail out and I am completely OK with that, so they wouldn't feel like they had to make me continue! (control issues for me??) It gave me an out, and I then knew I didn't have to pretend, or do something I don't want to do...sounds like control issues, huh? Whatever. It worked for me, and gave me a great experience with my husband and daughter.

When we got there, the instructor acknowledged my issues to me, and got my daughter and I started first so I had more time to get used to everything. They can put the more "beginner" people on the same "raft". The "raft" has 4-6 air hoses. So that is how many people will be with you. There may only be that many people doing that whole experience. The others on the boat (if you do the boat) may just be snorkelers. I too get a little wiggy at the beginning of snorkeling-rapid breathing, my self talk telling me "I'm nuts, just hang in there," blah blah blah. So I felt that another beach entrance for me is the way to go. And I have already let them know I may bail. I think knowing that I have already allowed myself to bail out feels better-less stressful. ANd I let my family know I will meet them back on shore and not to worry about me. You will be snorkeling somewhat close to shore. You can always snorkel back-the salt water makes you more bouyant. If you want, you can kick hard and slow with your fins to get to shore faster :D

Well- seems like you all have convinced me to give it a try!!! I have a snorkeling vest that is like my security blanket- if necessary I can inflate it and get to the surface easily if the panic (or anoxia) overtakes me!! Never had to use it in the "emergency mode" yet!! lol! Just have to talk to myself more!!! "Yes Sue- you can are getting air! No Sue- you won't drown!"

That is if we can make the stop at Cozumel on our cruise! Too early to tell!!

Thanks for all the confidence!!

Sue

Sue-that vest would be great! When I went snorkeling on our last cruise I didn't think I needed a vest, so I went out without it. Well, when i was away from the boat (I have no idea how far), I looked back and then-well, too far to SWIM back, but uh-oh!. My daughter seemed to figure it out and offered to swim back to the boat to get me a vest. It is my security blanket. I will never leave the boat without it anymore. It just makes everything "OK".

As far as Cozumel goes-I am not sure if we will snuba in Novemebr when we go (even though we have reservations) because of Wilma. First of all the park might be closed. If not, i think it takes a while for the visibility to settle down. I know that "Paradise Tom" (Paradise Beach owner or guru)has said his water was murky weeks after a storm had hit. The snuba will be expensive for 4 people if it is not optimal conditions. We will know soon enough when Wilma leaves:cool:

I have been considering snuba also- but kind of chicken! Panic is an issue for a few minutes each time I snorkel now- getting older- and I KNOW it goes away!

But concerned that with snuba you have to keep up with the group and follow the leader type tour. Is this true? Would worry that if that uncomfortable feeling dosen't go away and I start breathing heavy I wouldn't be able to say "I QUIT! - time for a cocktail!!!" lol!

Thanks for all the info!!!

Sue

I say GO FOR IT! You will have a blast. My son (12) and I booked with Gary at Mayan Paradise and loved it. First of all, Gary will not let you out until you are completely comfortable with the breathing apparatus. And there is no follow the leader. You will be on one of two hoses attached to the tank on the surface and there will be an experienced scuba diver along with you to make sure everything is okay and to point out interesting reef formations, fish, etc. And don't worry about the weights. The body is naturally bouyant and the weights are adjusted to your body weight to maintain an equilibrium in the water...they won't sink you. Then, enjoy the show on the ride back :D .

In agreement with those above - give it a try! I had some major panic the first time I snorkeled (I'm still too chicken to dive down with my snorkel on and blow the water out upon breaking the surface, like so many snorkelers do - I have to take it out of my mouth, dive, surface and then take the time to dump out the water and clear it before continuing), but you just go to your Happy Place and relax, and let yourself go with it, and then it's okay. Just relax and know that you have air, and you can breathe, and nothing bad is going to happen.

As for the swimming part, seriously, don't worry. With salt water and fins, you barely have to exert any effort to swim. With the weight belt on, it will be even easier. I would suggest that you buy and bring your own well-fitting mask, though - if you rent a mask that doesn't quite fit, it can really kill the experience.

Archived