Upgrade Advice - Obstructed Balcony

BeakyBeer24

Seasoned Cunarders, I am hoping you can give us some advice!

We will be traveling from Southampton to NY in November and have booked a half obstructed balcony room. Neither my husband, nor I have ever been on a large ship cruise/crossing before, but have both experienced sea sickness on ferries between Ireland/UK/France. For that reason we booked Midships, with the open balcony thinking it will be good for us to sit in the wind if we are feeling unwell.

We were asked if we wanted to be put on the upgrade list and we said no, thinking that we really don't want a sheltered balcony, and are worried about being moved to Aft/Forward. Now I'm reading posts about people getting amazing multi-level upgrades and I'm second guessing our decision.

Any advice? :D

Seasoned Cunarders, I am hoping you can give us some advice! We will be traveling from Southampton to NY in November and have booked a half obstructed balcony room. Neither my husband, nor I have ever been on a large ship cruise/crossing before, but have both experienced sea sickness on ferries between Ireland/UK/France. For that reason we booked Midships, with the open balcony thinking it will be good for us to sit in the wind if we are feeling unwell. We were asked if we wanted to be put on the upgrade list and we said no, thinking that we really don't want a sheltered balcony, and are worried about being moved to Aft/Forward. Now I'm reading posts about people getting amazing multi-level upgrades and I'm second guessing our decision. Any advice? :D
Hi BeakyBeer24,

I'd stick with "no upgrade" if you're in any doubt. There is a chance you'll be moved to a cabin near the bow, and if your November crossing is rough, then you could feel the motion of the ocean (she rarely rolls, but I have noticed pitching on winter crossings).

As for amazing up-grades, one should never bank on them. You might be very lucky, or you may not.

I would add that you'll be amazed when you first see the sheer scale of QM2 (esp compared to a cross-channel ferry), I know you know she's a lot bigger, but even so, nothing prepares you for the size of her as she towers over the Ocean Terminal.

Please ask if you've further questions, have a wonderful time on board, an early Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

I agree with Pepper. If location is a big issue for you, don't risk being moved away from midships.

QM2 rides a lot better than a ferry, so you may find that mal de mer isn't a problem for you. Then next time, you can gamble on an upgrade. Just remember, it's a long shot.

Seasoned Cunarders, I am hoping you can give us some advice!

We will be traveling from Southampton to NY in November and have booked a half obstructed balcony room. Neither my husband, nor I have ever been on a large ship cruise/crossing before, but have both experienced sea sickness on ferries between Ireland/UK/France. For that reason we booked Midships, with the open balcony thinking it will be good for us to sit in the wind if we are feeling unwell.

We were asked if we wanted to be put on the upgrade list and we said no, thinking that we really don't want a sheltered balcony, and are worried about being moved to Aft/Forward. Now I'm reading posts about people getting amazing multi-level upgrades and I'm second guessing our decision.

Any advice? :D

Over the years, we have done TA crossings on all three types of balconies on the QM2 and have no objection to a obstructed balcony for TA crossings and actually like them because of the midships location on deck 8. The QM2 is a very big ship and a midships location can cut down on the amount of walking you will need to do every day.

Some say that you get less movement midship in rough waters, but we've never personally experienced that much difference compared to staterooms forward or aft.

Realistically, there isn't much to see on a TA (except ocean) other than at the beginning and end of the voyage. As a first timer, you should plan to go up to the top deck when coming in the NY and passing under the Verrazano Bridge. It is a sight you will always remember.

Bob

As a person who gets travel sick I choose my cabin and NO upgrade.

I would suggest you get some travel pills from the chemist, UK seem to only have ones that you need 2/3 a day, take the 1st ones 24 hours before sailing and then keep them going,unless the sea is not heavy.

This tip was given me a few years ago and I follow it every time and I can get sick in a car or bus. The best though is the fresh air if you feel it a bit get a good gulp of freshers. Have a good sail.

when we get to NY I put a chemists on my list of to dos and get Bonnine supply of they are 24 hr ones then hope they will do until the next trip

Edited by electra2008

I have to agree with the other posters here: if mid-ship location is important to you than ask to have your booking marked "do not upgrade". Once you are open to allowing an upgrade it can be whatever is a higher grade on the deck plan even if you don't consider it as such.

If memory serves last year a member here had booked a deck 11 forward balcony. He was very unhappy with his "upgrade" to deck 8, first stateroom past the lifeboats and directly across from a laundry. Since the deck 8 cabin was mid-ship it was a technical upgrade over the deck 11 forward.

Edited by BlueRiband

Thank you for all of the thoughtful replies!

You have reassured us that we've made the right choice, immigrating is stressful enough, so it is nice to have advice. The location also means we are close to the elevators to get to our pup on deck 12.

FYI, the chemical name for Bonine is meclizine, and it seems to be available in the UK under a variety of names: Ancolan (Boots); Antivert (Pfizer); Bonamine (Pfizer); Bonine (Insight); Calmonal (BMS); Peremesin (BMS); Postafen (UCB).

As a first timer, you should plan to go up to the top deck when coming in the NY and passing under the Verrazano Bridge. It is a sight you will always remember.
One January morning I was up early with a few dozen fellow passengers to watch us come under the bridge. Here's a short video:

FYI, the chemical name for Bonine is meclizine, and it seems to be available in the UK under a variety of names: Ancolan (Boots); Antivert (Pfizer); Bonamine (Pfizer); Bonine (Insight); Calmonal (BMS); Peremesin (BMS); Postafen (UCB).

Thank you have noted info🌸🌸