My excursion picks for the 10 day VISTA Med Cruise

goldesq

I see tons of people asking what excursions they should choose and figured I would write a short post here about my picks. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Marseilles-since we were there on a Sunday, we wanted to go to the flea market in Isle la Surge and cruise critic member created a tour with a taxi company prior to the cruise. I joined them. It was a great tour to St Remy, Baux en Provence and Isle la Surge. I can get the name if you would like.

Rome-Rome in Limo tour (Alternative Tuscany) visiting Potigliano and Sorano

Florence-Rome in Limo Tour visiting San Gimignano & Volterra

Naples-Rome in Limo Tour visiting Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento

Crete- Best of Crete through Carnival

Rhodes-Lindos and Ancient Rhodes through Carnival

Kusadasi- Ephesus Shuttle dot com - I took Tour #2 (it ended up being about 6 hours because we did go to a rug factory and a ceramics factory but this was OUR choice and I LOVED it)

Athens- Panoramic Athens (mainly you saw the sites while on the bus) and La Plaka through Carnival (shorter tour and really was my least favorite but by the end of the cruise, I was wiped out).

Based on my experience, I highly recommend Rome in Limo and Ephesus Shuttle. I would definitely use them again when in the area. I would not use Carnival tours unless I really had to.

The Carnival tour buses were comfortable but there too many people on the tours. Also, the timing was terrible in that we were constantly waiting for people who came back late or had to use the rest room at every single stop. I hated having only 15 minutes at certain spots (like Lindos) or 50 minutes to shop at certain locations (La Plaka).

With a private tour, we went at our own pace and really got to know one another in the van. Private tours made the experience a lot more rich and intimate. Eating in local, smaller restaurants on private tours rather than hotels or buffets on Carnival excursions usually was MUCH better as well.

Specific questions? Feel free to ask! I spent a ton of time researching these tours for my 5/14 VISTA cruise.

Can you recommend a private tour company, I will be sailing on the Vista in Oct.

We sailed Carnival Sunshine in the Med and will be on the 10/11 sailing of Vista. Joe Bananas in anywhere in Italy was wonderful the first time. Using them again this trip. You will see them recommended lots.

Just back from 5/24 Carnival Vista Med sailing. I'd echo a lot of goldesq's comments above. We did not book any Carnival excursions, mostly because we try to avoid large tour buses and the associated loading/unloading and wait times.

In Kusadasi, Turkey, we used Ephesus Shuttle, and would highly recommend them. Very good pricing directly through their web site and responsive customer service. Great small group tour, including a visit to Mary's House, and hours spent walking and exploring at the much-larger-than-expected Ephesus site, including the optional Terrace Houses visit, quite worthwhile. The tour we selected also included a lovely lunch under the fig trees at Biz Ifrim restaurant - Turkish buffet. We also had the option to visit a carpet weaving site, and although we didn't purchase anything ($$$), we enjoyed learning about the weaving techniques.

For Naples, we used Can't Be Missed Tours, based on a recommendation in Rick Steves' huge paperback book and definitive guide you shouldn't be without- Mediterranean Cruise Ports. The guide was waiting for our large group with a CBM sign as we departed the ship. THey then broke us into several smaller groups. Enjoyed the lovely drive to Sorrento (with a 2.5 hour free time for lunch), as well as the impressive drive up the Amalfi Coast, and the tour of Pompeii with audioguides. It's easy, however, to get lost from the group in such a crowded location as Pompeii, and you could lose audioguide contact if you don't keep up with the group.

As you research tour groups, make note of how much walking is involved (some CBM tours are complete walking tours vs. bus transport.)

For Naples, we used Can't Be Missed Tours, based on a recommendation in Rick Steves' huge paperback book and definitive guide you shouldn't be without- Mediterranean Cruise Ports. The guide was waiting for our large group with a CBM sign as we departed the ship. THey then broke us into several smaller groups. Enjoyed the lovely drive to Sorrento (with a 2.5 hour free time for lunch), as well as the impressive drive up the Amalfi Coast, and the tour of Pompeii with audioguides. It's easy, however, to get lost from the group in such a crowded location as Pompeii, and you could lose audioguide contact if you don't keep up with the group.

As you research tour groups, make note of how much walking is involved (some CBM tours are complete walking tours vs. bus transport.)

Thanks for the info. I'm glad you enjoyed your tour with CBM. We also booked the Naples tour for our Vista cruise.

Edited by aquarianne11

Just off the vista...awesome!!

For naples I used italytoursharing.com. Went to positano sorrento, amalfi coast, lunch at lataggliano ( my favorite tour ever)

For Rome I did on my iwn but used bus transfer through smartcruisetours

For Livorno I used italytoursharing.com. Florence, Pisa, Tuscany with lunch...this was my first time on this tour and it was fantastic...highly recommended. The winery was so neat!!

Palmero I used sicilytaxi. For transport to CEFALU, he was late but still enjoyed the town

Mallorca I used mallorca taxi, got a group of 16 together. They had two mini buses waiting...it was inexpensive. Took us to valldemosa. Amazing!!!