Misty Fiords Flightseeing

mnozilmel

We are going to be in Ketchikan on July 29th as part of our cruise. We would very much like to do a Misty Fiords flightseeing trip, however it is expensive and we would only want to do the trip if the weather were clear enough to get good views (I know they won't fly if the weather makes it unsafe; however they do still fly in cloudy/rainy weather which is no good for views).

If we book we cannot cancel less than 14 days in advance without losing our money (50-100 % of the cost of the flight depending on the company).

So what we would like to know is if there is likely to be any availability if we wait until the day and then book a flight when we go ashore, or is availability too limited to risk that?

Thanks very much for your help

It was cloudy with rain showers when we went, and it was still spectacular!

19623853233_0d089acd03_z.jpg

20236571672_a86b189516_z.jpg

20218728846_feee388402_z.jpg

Our pilot said that when it is sunny and warm, you tend to get more turbulence and people get sick. :eek:

We're booked with Family Air Tours at the end of this month and he has a 24 hour free cancellation policy. If the flight is canceled due to weather (i.e. he cancels it) then you still get your money back even if it's morning of.

I have also heard that the views are actually better when it's overcast because that is when you get the amazing reflections on the water.

We're super excited and will go so long as the pilot says the conditions are safe!

We are going to be in Ketchikan on July 29th as part of our cruise. We would very much like to do a Misty Fiords flightseeing trip, however it is expensive and we would only want to do the trip if the weather were clear enough to get good views (I know they won't fly if the weather makes it unsafe; however they do still fly in cloudy/rainy weather which is no good for views).

If we book we cannot cancel less than 14 days in advance without losing our money (50-100 % of the cost of the flight depending on the company).

So what we would like to know is if there is likely to be any availability if we wait until the day and then book a flight when we go ashore, or is availability too limited to risk that?

Thanks very much for your help

My reply to you on TripAdvisor-

it's called "Misty", for a reason. :) I just flew [- again- June 1, dark skies, overcast etc. It was one of the most spectacular viewing trips I have ever had ( at least 20 trips). Deep colors, fading mist in and out of the fiords, dramatic viewing. Same thing with my Tracy Arm tour- overcast with deep colors of the glaciers and fjords.

Frankly- I do NOT want clear sunny days. It's a common thinking of people who haven't been there and unrealistic since weather is so unpredictable. If it is a priority for you, then sure you can get walk up Misty flights- with getting off your ship, right when it clears and right to the vendors to see who still has space. Alternative would be to have a phone list prior and start calling, when you get phone service. Space is usually available. I am very picky about my pilots, you can't be with walk up booking.

• 9 months later...
My reply to you on TripAdvisor-

it's called "Misty", for a reason. :) I just flew [- again- June 1, dark skies, overcast etc. It was one of the most spectacular viewing trips I have ever had ( at least 20 trips). Deep colors, fading mist in and out of the fiords, dramatic viewing. Same thing with my Tracy Arm tour- overcast with deep colors of the glaciers and fjords.

Frankly- I do NOT want clear sunny days. It's a common thinking of people who haven't been there and unrealistic since weather is so unpredictable. If it is a priority for you, then sure you can get walk up Misty flights- with getting off your ship, right when it clears and right to the vendors to see who still has space. Alternative would be to have a phone list prior and start calling, when you get phone service. Space is usually available. I am very picky about my pilots, you can't be with walk up booking.

Who did you use and was it a float plane or what?

It was cloudy with rain showers when we went, and it was still spectacular!

19623853233_0d089acd03_z.jpg

20236571672_a86b189516_z.jpg

20218728846_feee388402_z.jpg

Our pilot said that when it is sunny and warm, you tend to get more turbulence and people get sick. :eek:

Who did you use for your tour?

I have done this twice. Both trips were amazing and would love to do it again. Favorite one was the first, where we landed on an alpine lake. Super clear water and very calm.

• 4 weeks later...